What Makes A God?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AceK, Jul 11, 2015.

1. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhlTXnM625w

2. ChinaCatSunflower02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBt_yfGKpU

3. ChinaCatSunflower02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6yCD_sEvU

4. ChinaCatSunflower02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yydx1vvUVlc

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I am saying that biological adaptations such as our ability to manipulate the environment in combination with our social traits perhaps provides us with adaptations and maybe the 'cognitive advantage' compared to say that long-finned pilot whale species that I alluded to a few posts ago, which apparently is also a social species and possesses more neurons than we do.

6. I think people are special. We're our own thing. We've got our own thing going for us. That's what makes us special. We don't have to be special just because God made it so. We can be special just because we're our own wonderful people.

Precious, I don't know... I can think of unspeakable situations and people whom I would not deem precious.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

OK, I understand.
    opposable thumb ;)

8. ChinaCatSunflower02

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Neonspectraltoast Posted an article on the same study, the results in the abstract are far from persuasive to me. Going with the assumption that heavy doses of certain psychedelics emulate NDE's, there is really only that 1 individual that is truly baffling in the study, maybe the other 2% of the selected interviewees as well.

I suppose if you are not familiar with heavy psychedelics and/or don't think they emulate NDE's, the study might be more convincing to you.

CA = Cardiac arrest

10. ChinaCatSunflower02

Perhaps these "hallucinations" on psychedelics are actual glimpses of another dimension of consciousness that's beyond death, rather than simply a hallucination.

11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've definitely had the distinct impression after a few trips, perhaps Dmt most consistently that I was experiencing an authentic alternate dimension or reality. I'm not particularly comfortable with the notion of psychedelics eliciting some sort of temporal flux to where the experiencier is being brought to consciousness into a far off postmortem state, but I do think it suggests that either our consciousness is emergent in terms of perception in a way we currently do not really understand at all, (something that could hardly be justified by saying these experiences are solely manifesting the subconscious) or perhaps that the mental perturbations powerful psychedelics elicit, temporarily allow us to glimpse 'adjacent' realities that our whole body cannot enter.

Maybe in certain states where the mind/brain is 'reeling' the experience is allowed to briefly glimpse into these other realms. Although in the case of psychedelics and most reported NDE's I've read, the conscious frame of reference is entirely different from the continuity that we normally experience, so those few people in the interviews reporting events that happened during the resuscitation as if they were experiencing consciousness in a state we are familiar with is puzzling.

1 person likes this.
  12. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Mm.. the multiverse thing intrigues me. I've had a thought that's been continually resurfacing in my head for the past few years, and it's how nothing really looks out of place in the world. Even if it's a piece of litter that stands out like a rash from the natural patterned elegance of a pristine and undisturbed environment, everything is still maintained within a wholly complete "baseline" gestalt.

Entheogens are this massively powerful force that directly confront our notions about that gestalt by either giving it a funky new twist or by completely replacing it with something completely different. Each substance has a very particular flavour, and particularly with "plant teachers", there's almost a "guiding" aspect. I'll put this in contrast with synthetics such as LSD where it feels very much like a solo expedition(interested to hear how psilocybin extract differs experientially to mushrooms).

From my experience, Darwinian evolution seems to have been tainted with linearity, that evolution is some form of linear race and humans are at the forefront because we can witness our own sentience, which is cool.. but to introduce a model to suggest evolutionary behaviour, think of the way rainfall creates very particular grooves in the mud. Those channels are perpetuated by their own momentum. Homosapien being one channel(and within that all those lovely personality archetypes, which one picked you? :D ), but to reverse through that model a bit and view different species as different channels of the same principle of genetics, each with their very own view.

Plant teachers for instance, each grant very different lessons and perspectives. We have these points of view available to us to integrate into our own perspectives: Ayahuasca, the celestial mother.. Salvia divinorum, the crazy old witch, mushrooms - primal intelligence, whereas LSD has been synthesised through precise scientific exploration and seems to me to be an extension of that particular mindset - very clean, sharp and intellectual.

tl;dr: multiple dimensions may possibly be just differing points of view. I from you, us from Mistress Cannabis etc etc.

I've got this funny picture of lions going human picking, for all that delicious dimethyltryptamine.

13. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

14. ChinaCatSunflower02

"In other words, quantum mechanics dictates that the world we see is just one of an infinite number of possibilities. But why? Tegmark doesn’t have an answer, but his ideas demonstrate that there might be a more dynamic relationship between consciousness and other states of matter—that our ability to perceive the world is both a means to an end and also an end (an “object”) in itself."

http://www.pbs.org/w...tate-of-matter/

http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.1219

One step closer to Scientifically verifying that the entire Universe is composed of self-aware Consciousness, aka known as the Aether or Ether in olden times. But even if Universal Consciousness is not equivalent but more subtle than Aether, the Aether would be means of manipulating the physical world with your Consciousness (Universal Consciousness, Spirit, and Aether are all quite similar in definition). This would be the equivalent to 'Perceptonium', which is just more Scientific sounding. This is also one step closer to verifying that the Universe is One, and one step closer to verifying Magick when it says "that there might be a more dynamic relationship between consciousness and other states of matter".

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would have to say, pretty much not having to depend on anything. able to exist, simply because you feel like existing. i think that pretty much makes a god. and pretty much makes a god something that is niether physical, nor needing to be imaginary to not be physical, nor dependent on any physical nor even non-physical thing.

omniscience, omnipotence, nor infallability are not required. neither, really, is any contact with physical existence, though this is not entirely forbidden either.

16. rambleON

rambleON Coup

Anything you yield to and obey

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

limitless capacity of all psionic abilities, invisibility, and the inability to be detected by physical means.
    (independence from any and all physical form, is highly likely and the most likely explanation of the latter)

nothing good or rational however, would ever wish to be feared or worshiped.

to do so would be a self contradiction.

1 person likes this.
  18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

A god, is a non-physical awareness/sapinse, not only too powerful to need a physical form in order to exist, but too powerful for ANY physical form to have the CAPACITY to host it.

That still doesn't make nor require anything to be infallible though.

19. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some lightening strikes, some forest conflagrations, big scary animals and seeing death on a regular basis would have probably caused our cave dwelling ancestors to look for some ameliorative/palliative force, real or imagined, for succor/ help against the powerful forces seemingly aligned against them. Including their neighboring tribes.

Annnnnnd---here we are.

1 person likes this.
  20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You must have had a divine teacher in school :D

21. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when a mommy god and a daddy god go in the other room and close the door?

actually i would say that's what makes a religion, which, doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not any exist or anything about them if they do.

Tags: