What magic formula made the Beatles?.

Discussion in 'Rock 'n' Roll' started by Hari, Mar 23, 2007.

1. fitzgarabaldi

fitzgarabaldi jolly swagman

of course of course thanks for reminding - yea he saw their genius and potential right from the start and just nudged them along all the time - great musical mentor!! - he did produce a new version of their stuff with his son I believe and I may still have a copy lurking around - I enjoyed it but some criticized it for being to different??

and I suppose we must pay tribute to Brian Epstein a troubled Liverpudlian in his time? but the lads all loved him dearly and were genuinely shocked with his death.

Yes it was good teamwork

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  2. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

The magic of The Beatles stemmed, I think, from many ingredients, stirred together during the time the world needed the kick in the ass that they, and they alone, could provide.
    Why those particular guys? Could it really have been any band? I don't think so. In my heart, I believe that it HAD TO BE John Lennon's little rock band.
    There were dozens of skiffle groups in the area around Liverpool, but those four guys were special. Their local fan base knew it, and the son of a local record store owner recognized it immediately, as well.He saw their potential and felt the magic they generated flowing through them like electricity! He knew that the time and the ingredients were all he needed to change the world, and by God, he went for it, and he succeeded!
    Beatlemania rose up and conquered the world.
    Bands come and go, some greater than others, but it's rare to find one as timeless and unforgettable as this. In another thousand years, I think, they will still be relevant, will still be remembered.
    The music of Lennon and McCartney is going to endure.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  3. Harry Smith

Harry Smith Members

Were they that good? Lucky with timing and above average but if you look back at those times in the UK there were a lot of "stars"

4. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

That was called the 'British Invasion', and yes, the band's were many, but most have not been remembered to such an extent! Who can name all the members of, say, Gerry and the Pacemakers, another Liverpool band, or Herman's Hermits? How about The Yardbirds, or The Zombies? And many more. It is The Beatles who have maintained their fame, who conquered the world!
    They were magical, special.
    I wrote a poem about them as a teenager, can't remember most of it, but it finished with the adults declaring that the Beatles were a fad. But we, the kids of the 60s, knew that the world had been changed.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah ---all that you-all said and---they were always seeming to have fun and smiling and joking around and didn't take themselves seriously----the hair-- Oh yeah-- nobody wore their hair long in those days and the Beatles hair wasn't even that long. To a 23 old--me at that time --the whole deal with those guys was ---it was just something that was different and of course the hype of the "British Invasion." I mean--I Want to Hold Your Hand--Love love me Do, were not exactly earth shattering. ;)
    But--I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard--A Day in The Life ! Now that was a masterpiece.

6. fitzgarabaldi

yes but they were "twinkle , twinkle little stars! Sometimes when one is making your favorite stew or stir fry or whatever you add a pinch of this and a pinch of that and suddenly it all comes together like never before that's what the boys; Brian and George Martin did together. But it was George, John, Paul and Ringo who had to get up everynight and knock it out to give us that magical sound which made them recognizable the whole world over

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The Beatles only secret was they were four guys who had nothing, and deliberately mastered one fucking chord at a time, and deliberately set out to become the best, starting with adapting a lot of classic British marching songs. Shaun Connery credits his own acting with deliberately reading all the classics, but he's another poor slob who put his own twist on royalty.

8. Harry Smith

Harry Smith Members

"twinkle. twinkle"? Tell that to the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Moody Blues, Tom Jones, The Who. A lot of solo acts, Dionne Warwick, Dolly Parton, Barbara Streisand and of course that fly by night Bob Dylan

9. fitzgarabaldi

don't let's mix up comparing apples with oranges - groups against groups but groups against solos? hardly fair old fellow?

10. Harry Smith

Harry Smith Members

Hardly fair to dismiss every other group from that period, old fellow. My inclusivity trumps your far reaching dismissal. The Beatles split up within ten years of fame and a lot of their music was dubious at best.

11. fitzgarabaldi

a matter of opinion only - any clear scientific evidence or just hog wash?

12. Harry Smith

Harry Smith Members

As is yours.