What magic formula made the Beatles?.

Discussion in 'Rock 'n' Roll' started by Hari, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Can you enumerate the factors, or try to guess what magical combination of things fell into place back in the early 60's in Liverpool, to give us all that amazingly creative group and so many wonderfully crafted songs?

Over the years I have found myself talking about this subject to many people, and almost unconciously like trying to figure out what is the formula for the success of an unknown group.

There is this group that eclipses everyone else, right at the turn of an era, even the very idols that inspired them to grow and whom they copied or learnt from.

Was it in the water?
    Paul Simon went to Liverpool thinking maybe it was the water there.
    The Byrds though it may be the guitars.

[​IMG]

2. Hippie_Jon

Hippie_Jon Noj

that's pretty heavy... i don't quite know how to answer that...:tongue:

3. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

the impact of the beatles-not only on rock n roll but on all of western culture-is simply incalculable.As musicians they proved that rock&roll could embrace a limitless variety of harmonies,structures and sounds,virtually every rock experiment has some precedent on beatles records.Their music,from the not so-simple love songs they started with to their later perfectionistic studio extravaganzas,set new standards for both commercial and artistic sucsess in pop.No group has so radically transformed the sound and significance of rock&roll.----paul mc cartney's melodic bass lines,ringo starr's slaphappy no-rolls drumming,george harrison's rockabilly-style guitar leads,john lennon's assertive rhythm guitar and their four fervent voices.---Rolling stone encyclopedia of rock&roll---

4. madcap

madcap Member

i wudn't nkow how to answer it either, they were just four greatly genuine guys with pure talent, don't know what else

5. HappyMonday

HappyMonday Member

Beatles are amazing...John Lennon and Paul McCartney were very different people but in the beginning worked very well together. I love Lennon's Beatle's material. Grew up on the Beatles, and although I have varied taste in music they are by far my favorite band.

6. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I don't really know. I guess they just had excellent chemistry together... Plus they were all very creative and innovative. Also, maybe they just had good timing and got lucky? Who knows...

7. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

It was them. The four wonderful men who made up the group. It was Paul. It was John. It was George. And it was Ringo. Each one, with each individual personality, every individual idea, thought, characteristic, musical talent. They made it what it was.

If they had tried, they all could of and would of made it as successful solo musicians. But once they were all put together, which was just combining each's talent and making it one, that was what formed, The Beatles.

Oh how I love them. Now this is my kind of thread :)

8. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I would find myself spontaneously bringing up the Beatles every time there was conversation about groups, or success in music. I must've looked at their success from many angles, but you're right it was them..their talent, their charm their spirit.

The others came along for the ride with them

9. i_like_acid

i_like_acid Member

lsd man try some, lot of weed too

10. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Sunshine 1969 was my initiation.
    -----------------------------------------

Funny I posted this-- then realised that the year I first took acid was the same year...well, many things happenned that year.

If six was nine.....

11. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

the beatles, together as friends growing up, becoming men together, experimenting with pot and then lsd and, well you know~ THE BEATLES!

a few english joes that started out playing old english folk music, turned love turned to young men finding themselves,,,

damn good heartful soulful music, good chaps, great musicians***

that walking bass paul walked,

the boys voices,

INDIA!

12. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I think their unusual sense of melody was extremely catchy. I actually also once went through all their songs on "1" and found that all their songs followed a similar pattern of Chorus, Verse and Intro.

I guess they were just so different at the time so people liked them.

13. Axis: Bold As Love

Axis: Bold As Love Member

John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

But remember, they did write a lot of crap, especially in their early days. George Harrison was constantly trying to ruin their albums by writing songs, and even 'Revolver' has a couple of dodgy ones ('Yellow Submarine', anyone?) Harrison was shite, so don't anyone rave about him. I'd say about fifty percent of their stuff is average or below, and the rest is great.

14. luvchunnel

luvchunnel Member

good timing, perfect pop music, and great personalities.

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

The beatles were an amazing group............ They all worked together and I dont think they ever had major dissagreeements about anything,....

They just "worked" :)

16. fitzgarabaldi

fitzgarabaldi jolly swagman

All of the above and more they say a group of this magnitude only comes along every century from mozart onwards =- just watched the beatles doco 8 days a week the touring years - but it doesn't matter what doco you watch the magic is still there and always will be. Every group has to start fresh and they did joining Lennons little rock group he had in da pool - any four lads could have done the same anywhere in the world - but I am a scouser so I will tell you from that perspective - scousers are quite unique - they are raw and when they see a chance they jump on it - they are fighters and fight their way forward - they are natural comedians which is to their advantage - this was a pudding with a magic mix - and they eat scouse soup by the way which is also magic.

their music can be criticized and analysed for ever - forget it - they did it ! - and then they realized they had even outdone themselves as they played at Shey stadium and couldn't hear themselves play [that is disasterous for musicians] that was it stopped touring and back to the studio. But they had always been buddies and still were but growing older too.

As i watched that show [having been a musician once myself] sure I could pick holes in their music and career who couldn't but did WE do it like they did - NO - they just did it and for the times - for the young of the world that is what they needed. I was near to tears watching that show - why it brought back memories of my youth in da pool - the language they spoke I could understand and appreciate - the music of course I liked I was the same age - there may come a band in the future that does the same or even surpasses them - well I doubt it - I very much enjoyed and still do the Eagles - but not quite same league. Yes I think I could just keep watching and watching those docos of the beatles for ever - why cos they are my family ; my culture ; my music - I understand where they came from ; where they wanted to go and how they finished up. Amen!!

17. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

I don't want to say that the Beatles may have been anything like the Rat Pack or associate them with such behaviour but they all seem just as naturally relaxed enough in front of a live audience as the Rat Pack did. This flourishes exciting individual character.

Could it be that anyone could have made music just as beautiful as the Beatles could even in that day but they were powerful models together?

18. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

The Magic Formula with The Beatles is easy to work out for me.
    They ALL had Charisma!
    It’s as plain and as simple as that.

I was fortunate enough to see them perform 3 times in the Cavern Club in Liverpool.
    Me being a Liverpudlian so born in Liverpool of course.
    When I saw them perform live they had just released their new single.
    LOVE ME DO.
    The rest is history.

They where all Scousers and that meant that not only could they sing, but they had a wonderful sense of humour, which they displayed during their performances.
    The are The Greatest Band that ever lived, and it is as simple as that! :)

19. fitzgarabaldi

fitzgarabaldi jolly swagman

totally agreed you summated my contribution very very well!! - and lets remember that John Lennons mother played piano and I think banjo and he was coached early in his life and I think Paul McCarneys father played a musical instrument too not sure about the other too - would have to have a look at their bio if they have some?

20. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Don't forget about the contribution of George Martin.