What Linux distro do you use ?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by desert-rat, Sep 12, 2019.

1. parua

parua Members

You're not really missing anything. At the same, to those who have never used windows...you can live without it.

Irminsul likes this.
  2. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The difference between Linux and Windows is you have to pay for one of them to drive you bananas.

parua likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can you even play games on it? Because of you can't it's not even anything real or good.

4. parua

parua Members

There are games, but I don't know how good they are. The last video game I played was probably in the late 90s with the kids(Nintendo) and not often. In the 80s...that's when I was at the top of my game.
    I do miss playing them though. I've been thinking of getting another Nintendo.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:openmouth: why you no game anymore?

6. parua

parua Members

Not sure. I guess other things dragged me away. I did kinda get hooked on the game with spiro (spelling) the dragon, and the bandicoot racing game. We'd look up and realize it was 2 in the morning, while playing. Then I'd be tired all day.

I wouldn't know which system to buy now.

Irminsul likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Spyro was cute. :)

parua likes this.
  8. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

The game I liked was Duke Nukem that run under dos 6 or close to that . I know they have DN that runs on some Linux distros ,but I could never get it to run . Most of the other Linux games are not that good . On that knife edge between fascism and the lynch mob , I think we have slightly different views on reality .
    Duke Nukem - Wikipedia

9. lode

lode Banned

Mint on home PC, and an old Galaxy S4 running Kali.

I work on a hundred ubuntu and a few hundred AWS Linux 1 Which is a fork of Cent OS 7. Underneath that a ton of docker containers running mostly Alpine Linux.

Work laptop has Windows 10 sadly. But I'd need to get Microsoft Teams working reliably to switch. There is a browser client.

10. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Puppy and its variants. Runs fully from RAM. Can't beat the usefulness of that. The only anti-virus solution I've ever needed for the past decade.

quark likes this.
  11. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I use a Mac because it looks cool at Starbucks.

(I carry a Raspberry Pi running Mint xfce sometimes... Not like in my hands walking down the street... but you get it...)

parua likes this.
  12. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Debian. Knoppix as a portable usb stick system, I think it is the best among live distros and can support data persistence. In the previous decade I used Slackware a lot.
    My first distro was the dreaded Corel Linux that in fact sucked quite a bit, then Mandrake, Then Ubuntu 7, Again Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, followed by years of Debian to which I stay faithful to this day. I'm not really intro distro hopping.

13. HeathenHippie

HeathenHippie Member

Historically: VAX and UNIX in the early 1980's, at work, FreeBSD at home when it was released early/mid-90's, and then Debian GNU/Linux starting in '95 and through the current day. I admin everything Unix -- just now I've got AIX, SCO, Red Hat, SuSE, and Debian boxes on contract. I haven't seen Solaris in years 'n' years and hope I don't again. I've also had OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Dragonfly BSD in various places at various times, but don't really dig the BSD's any more -- especially not the one the fruit flies fouled up.

When they hit the market as buy it now, get it now, I'm going for the Librem phone because it runs Debian. Then my Android devices are going into the wood chipper.

14. Varmint

Varmint Member

OMG, jagerhans! I haven't heard of Corel in a loooonng time. I had a copy of that and several other distros back in the mid-90's when you could still order them for about $2.50 at Walnut Creek CDROM. I might still have all of those, although I can't imagine why I would've bothered saving them. Posterity, perhaps.

I started with Debian when the documentation was still somewhat (to me) questionable, which means I didn't know much about what I was doing. I shot two hard disks with it. Thankfully, they were small ones. I found Slackware and FreeBSD up at a nearby MicroCenter and installed those two on a 386DX-40 with Win3.11 or Win95....can't recall which right now, but I still have that machine out in the shed. I ran my 4-port node switch off it in DOS most of the time, while BSD and Slack was for fun and learning.

These days I keep Puppy, Debian, and Ubuntu on my netbooks for portability and to show others how easy it is to start out with these distros, but not many are interested. Thank you for reminding me of some fun memories!

jagerhans likes this.
  15. Varmint

Varmint Member

By the way, I should point out if I haven't already, that Windoze still remains the distro of choice if you want to do lots of gaming, as that's what the programmers write to most often. That may be why so many I know have no interest in unix or linux. They may not be best for gamers, but they rock for servers and my personal home systems.

16. jagerhans

I got back another dual core PC from 2008 and was in the mood for trying a new distro so tried with Arch but as soon as I realized it is in fact a distro without a damn installer and it is stupid long to get it working I laughed hard at it and tried Mint instead, and I'm glad to say that for once, I got a Linux system installed without the usual post install fixes to get things to work. I mean, if I have to spend a week to install it must be Gentoo. That thing of "compiling everything" is a sound concept, I remember how much faster my machines with a tight custom kernel were.

17. Varmint

Varmint Member

My reply: You'll be happy to know that you can still compile your own custom kernel and have a "tight ship", but It may be a pain in the butt to do it these days. On the other hand, the old versions of every decent distro are still in archive for those who wish to "go retro"....

18. ultravio1et

ultravio1et Members

Been using Ubuntu for a few years now, never have any problems, although I fully appreciate some of my programs would run better if I switched to windows

19. jagerhans

I know, of course i could but i don't want to and I don't want just because there is no need for that any more. Today's computers are monstrously powerful. I compiled kernels when I had to use machines like Pentium I-II with mere megabytes of RAM. Also, as You pointed out the linux kernel back then didn't have in itself all the stuff of today (just think of the spectre and meltdown mitigations) and today I prize security before everything else, why risking messing stuff up. Being a debianist I follow the rule not to make a frankendebian and not to break the system. The first time i compiled it was because i wanted support for USB and it wasn't included yet in the stock kernel (!) , but now... what for ? why building a custom kernel of a few kbytes, for faster boot time ? with a top grade SSD and cpu my main computer boots in ten seconds, bang.

20. Varmint

Varmint Member

I hear ya. Puppy Linux was renowned for a fast boot. Probably still is, although I don't bother timing such things these days. Machines these days have many times more ram than my old 386 and early pentiums had for hard drives. Debian is still amazing, and I have both it and Puppy here on my systems. In fact, I think the puppy I have is based on debian just so I can use their repositories.

I suppose you could use TinyCore Linux, but again...no point. I quit using slackware because they had problems with their own repositories back during their Version 13.37 days, and BSD because they were too focused on the newest whiz-bang architectures and components. I'm not interested in seeing how much ram and had drive space I can consume, but rather how little.

Use what you enjoy and what works for your requirements. I'm gonna' have to look into the Raspberry Pi systems in the future. I figure I can order a half dozen of them, use one to experiment with and the rest to make a small boewolf cluster, and it'll still use less power than the average laptop or netbook.

jagerhans likes this.