what kinda fish should I get?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Oklahoma, May 23, 2004.

1. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

My tank has been through tough times recently, and consequently, I only have nine or ten fish left in all fifty gallons of it. After several months, the fish are all healthy, and the pH is stable in the 6.0-6.4 range. I have a couple plants, and obviously my fish--all tetras with the exception of two bronze corys. I want to re-populate my tank, I want something that will look nice but not be too fussy and sensitive. Any suggestions?

2. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

I'm surprised whomever you got the tetras from didnt tell you...

Tetras are pussiest easy-to-die fish ever.

they are pretty but one mishap and they all croak.

I love those japanese fantail goldfish...they can live for years and are really hardy...watch the Ick factor though because these fish get it easy but can survive it with minimal measures.

my hubby loves Oscars and they too are hardy fish but they are mean as hell.

invest in a pricier fish.alot of the times those prices arent simply to gouge you..they do reflect the quality and longevity of species.

catfish are good ones to but they are kinda boring.I would stick to the fancy goldfish myself!

Good luck!

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I had fish on and off for years and the hardiest were just the regular common place gold fish.

We had a couple of fantails too and little minnows. They were fairly low maintanence and lived a while.

TTFN

Sage

4. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

Well, otter, the thing about goldfish is... It's a tropical tank so that wouldn't work out too well...

And I don't know what you mean when you say tetras are "pussy and easy to die". I've had most of these fish for quite awhile, and the tetras have been the ones who turned out to be the hardiest through all the re-cycling and disease crap the tank went through. They even outlived one of my zebra danios, which are supposedly very hardy fish, and after I had already had them for a few years.

As for oscars, to be frank, I don't like them. They're very pretty and all, but they leave shit all over the tank, and all my other fish would probably end up dead. Very nice looking fish, not very well behaved fish.

5. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

goldfish can live in a tropical tank silly.

Goldfish can live in any freshwater environment.

I kept my goldfish in a tropical tank...they lived for 3 years.

we are talking about a fish that can live for years in crappy bowl with some rocks.

talk about tough little guys.lol.

6. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

Really? Interesting, didn't know that. I know people who have goldfish in real aquariums with filters and stuff, but no heaters, and I've always heard people refer to them as "cold water fish" so...

7. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

small angel fish or another type of tetra, like red eye or black skirted

8. bjorky

bjorky Member

9. granola.kiss

granola.kiss Member

How bout some chocolate sailfin mollies? My whore of a fish just had her second round of babies a month ago (gobbled the first batch right up). Want some? I have 20+ baby fishies in a 3-gallon tank!

Good luck!

xoxo
    cortnee