what is your instrument of choice?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by 4_Leaf_Clover, May 9, 2004.

1. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

drums/bongos...but i wish i could play guitar

2. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

i am the music-person i come from england land and i can play, i play the piano....:cool:

oh the extensions of my musical abilitys never cease to annoy me. man i haven't written the forums for ages tis not fair.

i love the piano and guitar. i am in love with guitars but i am also in love with keys...*sigh*

3. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

I'm sure you'll guess.

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

The Triangle? :)

I play the guitar (electric, acustic, classical), and the piano.

5. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

Naw, the suziphone! :p

6. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

Zee Acoustic guitar (with a sickly obsession)... I just bought a Takamine Garth Brooks edition with the cut away hole! So beautiful. But what I REALLY wanted was an Alvarez Yairi. Oh well, all in good time. I'm really into fingerpicking.

I also play bass, but mostly jazz when it comes to bass. Improvisation all the way.

I don't know if you would count harmonica or not :)

And I sort of play piano, but I wouldn't seriously count that one.

7. Orsino

Orsino Member

ummmmm.....Acoustic Guitar
    Electric Guitar
    Archtops (acoustic/electric jazz boxes)
    12 string acous/elec.
    7 string guitar
    Acoustic Bass
    Electric Bass
    Drums... digital also
    Random hand drums and purcussion instruments
    Piano
    Keyboards
    and of course... Hammond Organs
    I also enjoy the old foot pump organs
    Harmonica
    Trombone
    Trumpet
    Resophonic Guitar (dobros, square neck and round)
    Banjo
    and Mandolin.
    I really consider slide a whole different instrument so i'd have to say slide acoustic and electric since the set up and action is different... well, technically, I like a high action anyways on my strats... stevie ray vaughan tone... since he used telephone cables for strings, the highest I go is .14-.58s because I can't find anything higher really except for flatwound strings.. soooooooo.... oh, and Martins rule... I hold quite a large grudge against Taylor guitars but I like their 12 strings. I can't wait to see one of their new archtops in the new series they're debuting. I think they already unveiled them at NAMM but i'm not quite sure. Besides playing all of this... I am also getting into building electrics on the side but only strat style stuff. I really like warmoth and all, only problem is they're expensive, but of course, I don't have the time to work at a hand carved body nor do I have the cash for CNC machinery.

looking over this list (holy shit)

8. kilted2000

kilted2000 Member

Bohran, guitar, drums

9. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

im a concert percussionist....mostly timpani and mallet instruments
    steel drum
    piano
    french horn

10. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

I play the cello, a little guitar, and occasionally some drums. I like the cello because it's so versitile, you can play just about any genre of music on it (whether it be bowed, pizzicatto, amplified, whatever) and make it sound good.

11. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i luv cello. next time im out west we definately have to rock it out oklahomo, ive been lookin for a celloist for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeears.

12. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

My little sister (9 years old) plays the cello, my uncle's her teacher. [​IMG]

As a child I wanted to learn an instrument, and my first choice would have been guitar, but my Mum said my hands were too little fo that. So I started playing the recorder (voc.?). My parents, both musicians themelves, taught me, but as you can imagine it didn't work too well. Parents as teacher is hardly ever good.
    About two years ago I started playing the acoustic guitar and I'm still quite fond of it! [​IMG]

13. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

THE TAMBOURINE!!!! :)

14. rainbow dew

rainbow dew Member

yey kilted!!!!

i play the saxomaphone-6.5 years,the didgeredoo-goodness.....started when i was bout 10 i guess but never used to play all that much,could be better.
    the djembe
    the bodhran...ah my beloved bodhran...i play in an up and coming band where we try to mix all different genres together, inc jazz, unk, flamenco and spanish, folk and rock. tis wonderful!
    penny whistle
    used to play the piano but not for a looooong time
    and my voice too!!

yey for all the musical folk!

namaste
    x x x
    namaste
    x x x

15. brownie

brownie Member

i love the drums (especially steel drums). i don't know why. same with my brother. i guess it's kinda in the genes. my father was a drummer, my grandmother was a drummer, and i think my great grandfather was a drummer.

16. katherine

katherine Member

I have a Clarinet and a Guitar, both of which I play occasionally, although since I left school I'm not in any bands or anything, and don't go to lessons. The first instrument I played was a Piano though, at my neighbour, a Piano teacher's, house when I was quite young. I picked it up quite quicky but sadly moved when I was 13, so had to give up.

17. schatzi

schatzi Member

I play the violin, but I'd do anything to learn to play the guitar. I can play one song and I can do back up, but I want to learn to really play it.

18. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

if you ever get the chance to play one...take it....they are the weirdest instrument ive played in percussion. the notes are aranged in 5ths around the pan....takes a while to get used to.

19. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

I play clarinet and I can play sax (its the same)...but I'd love to play guitar or bass

20. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I find myself torn between the guitar and mandolin. I love the versitillity of the guitar but I'm also pulled away by the wonderful sound of the mandolin. I remember at the last Fair I went to a guy was playing one and my sibblings danced for like 30 seconds then quit, then I got a fit of dance fever and was going mad nuts... like a pied pipper or something.