What is Your Heritage?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by lunarflowermaiden, Apr 29, 2007.

1. sickgirl

sickgirl Members

British and German, but American.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

*sigh*
    ten fucking years and folks still don't know the difference between heritage and ancestry...

it's a fucking travesty of the educational systems in place, a fuckin' travesty I tell ya.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Bad teeth, cancer and alcoholism.

1 person likes this.
  4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

so are you saying that's your ancestry, heritage or both?

technically any physiological attributes are considered ancestry, learned attributes are heritage.

5. Noserider

Oh. I thought ancestry was from what people you were descended. Tribes, counties, etc.

Perhaps you can learn alcoholism, but not the other things.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

more or less in a nutshell; ancestry is genetics and what you inherited from your parents, heritage is culture and comprises what you were taught by your parents/regional society/culture... ;)

alcoholism, the actual physiological condition, is very much a genetically linked condition.
    that's not saying all children of alcoholics will become alcoholics, it merely means they have inherited a predisposition to developing alcoholism.
    There are also many alcoholics who have no genetic predisposition to it.
    that is why I make the distinction between the two, same thing goes for depression.

7. Noserider

My aunt went to AA and when I was 17 or so my mom called from jail after being arrested for a DUI. My grandfather gave my cousin and I beer when we were like 5 and 7.

So, if anything, I learned I didn't want to be a total drunk.

My 90,year old grandmother puts Tullamore Dew and Jameson away like a 20 year old frat bro.

So the learned part was, yeah, don't be like that. But I'm guessing I'm predisposed to being an alcoholic. In fact, I'm drunk right now...

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

or members of your family liked to drink and acted not so responsible at times........sounds like a lot of families.
    doesn't mean you are fated to fall to demon rum, just that maybe you need to be mindful that there could be more at play than a "I wanna getta buzz" craving going on if there is a family history of issues with alcohol.
    we often underestimate our genetic blueprint ;)

that is one of the stigma's associated with alcoholism, is that some people are just drunks who drink too much and some are alcoholics with a true physiological addiction that goes a level beyond the heavy drinker.

take care of you self....

9. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Norwegian.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've got the alcoholic gene for sure..well I dont know if I do, I've never tested it because I'm careful with alcohol and if I catch myself drinking too often or for the wrong reasons it scares me and I take a long break.

But almost every male in my family on both sides was/is an alcoholic. None of the awesome ladies though, I basically come from a matriarchal lineage where the women had to pick up the slack and be fucking warrior princesses because the men were getting drunk and couldnt get their shit together. So maybe I dont have the alcoholic gene, maybe I'm a warrior princess

Anyways. That alcoholic gene scares me, that was my point before I went off on a tangent

Also I'm Scottish

11. Twobitgirl

Twobitgirl Members

I'm mostly Polish with a little German on my dad's side, and English/French on my mom's side.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Depends upon how many generations back. Liberal, Southern bourgeois, Confederate, Virginian, refugee, French Huguenot..

13. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Italian, german, and irish.

14. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

British working class through and through and proud of it !!!

15. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

My research over the past 30 years has identified English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, French, Dutch, German, Swiss, and Austrian ancestry. Recent mtDNA shows a strong link to Scandinavia, but I haven't identified that link.

16. sherman march

sherman march Members

had my DNA tested a few years ago. turns out I am like 76% British/Irish, 13% German, 4% Viking (Scandinavian), 1% Ashkenazi Jew. My paternal ancestors came from coastal southwest Scotland to Northern Ireland around 1800, stayed about 4 years, then came to America.

17. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The question that introduced the thread was simply about "heritage." Without elaboration, such as "cultural" or "genetic," it means property in the sense of real estate or personal property. That's what my dictionary says.

I suppose you could talk about something like a characteristic family nose or baldness being part of your heritage, but it wouldn't be in the common meaning of the word. As far as things like nationality go, I have two passports, but I didn't inherit them and they aren't usable after my death - they aren't heritage.

I inherited several pieces of furniture, a few books, and a few framed reproductions of famous paintings. That heritage will be passed down to my children. If they don't want them or have room for them, they'll end up in a landfill. There are no family lands, but for now, there are a couple of houses, neither of them inherited by me, but acquired by me and available as heritage when I'm gone. I expect they'll be sold and not stay in the family.

Something like a UNESCO-designated world heritage site isn't mine. Note the specifier "world". I may enjoy the use of shared cultural patrimony while alive, but I don't personally own it, and I can't convey it as part of my personal estate when such estate is activated by my death.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  18. Jesse49

Jesse49 Members

Grand Fathers - both English, Grand Mothers - one Irish and one Scottish, Parents bot English. Consider myself a citizen of the world.

19. sherman march

sherman march Members

My fathers ancestors came to America from Scotland in like 1804. My DNA says I am 99% European with 70-something % of that British (including Scottish) and Irish. Another 13% or so is German (northwestern Germany).

20. ermagerd

ermagerd Members

French/Norwegian
    Those are the ones I know for sure.