What Is Your Heredity?

Discussion in 'History' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Girlfriend, you can question science all day

But the only way to question science is WITH science

It helps to understand the scientific method, is all I'm saying

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What's the reason that the government would want our DNA?

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Science is based on evidence, you can't have blind faith in science because it is rooted in the measurable.

And no morph I was not waiting on your return, looks like we just happen to posting in this thread at the same time. Isnt this nice?

1 person likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Ah! It all makes sense now :p

But for realz: i wasn't aware. Thanks ;)

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm not 100% sure but seems like it..same syntax and writing style, same circular logic , interest in the same topics. Probs

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Now that i think of it he does mix opinion and uncertainties with fact as well, then (seemingly deliberately) pose it is all fact/certain, just like morpgirl

7. Aerianne

Interesting article.

8. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I think Puffy knows enough science to know that DNA is indeed a credible and hard science and is very very reliable for purposes of identification and also for ancestry. It is not perfect in regards to the latter, but as I said before, it IS perfect in telling where you're NOT from, and what blood or genes you DON'T have. And as far as where you ARE from, it will nail the region of the planet pretty closely. And the peoples as well. Some of that is changed by our manmade labels and politics. And man-made borders anc countries. But DNA science is not going to be so far off, as to, say, claim you are of UK and Western European ancestry, by majority, when indeed you have none of little of that genome. And it's not gonna say an Asian has no Asian ancestry. DNA is the best thing we have, and it's getting better all the time.

Rather, I think the Puffster is just making a political statement with his anti-DNA stance and his steadfast refusal to admit he is of any ancestry other than American. We all know a DNA test would prove him wrong. He knows this. This is why he is lambasting DNA and the science behind it. It'a an old legal tactic: attack the attacker. Ask OJ. LOL. Puffy thinks that Uncle Sam wants all of our DNA into a big bad database and that the World Elite Power is sitting their twisting it's mustaches and thinking up more diabolical ways to rob us of our privacy and oppress our freedom. This is fine. There are lots out there like Puff.

Just let it go. This whole thread is beginning to remind me of some old debates I have done with anti-Evolutionists. Usually they are Christians. You can throw scientific fact after fact at them and they ignore it or denigrate Science as a whole. Like when they say that all that radiometric dating is wrong. I find this hilarious and hypocritical, since they use and embrace science everyday! When they drive their car; use their PC; use their phones; take their meds, etc. And they know all that stuff works and is possible only from science. But when it comes to Evolution and dating and all those countless tests and observations that have never been proven wrong, well, they just stick their fingers in their ears and go "Nyah nyah nyah--I can't hear you" and scream that in THAT instance, science is wrong and has no clue.

It's sorta funny really. If they only held their own religions and especially their bible to the same standards they try to hold science to, well, they wouldn't be religious very long, would they? LOL

Not saying Puffster is religious. Only that this thread and his denigration of the science behind DNA has put me in mind of some past debates with religious types.

Cheers.

2 people like this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I have noticed it too.

People can get very touchy about their scientific beliefs they were taught long ago being challenged, if not disproven by sciencific study and discovery.

10. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I like to consider myself white, and that's it. But, I am mixed with other things. I just don't really know what. Whatever I fill out forms I just circle Caucasian, even though I have other shit.

1 person likes this.
  11. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Hmmm, looking throughout this thread, none of these ethnicities are disputed by anyone: DUTCH, ENGLISH, IRISH, AUSTRALIAN. FRENCH. GERMAN ETC. Not one of you disputed that. Not a single one of you. But when an American like me says American, all hell breaks loose. LOL

English, well lets see, how can this be an ethnicity? HOW? Aren't we all mutts? Where are the Britons? Weren't they the original people? The britons and german tripes settled in England after the withdrawal of Romans. Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians. YES frisians! OMG english people who are actually Frisians?

Lets Look at Frisians. What are they? are you going to tell a Frisian they are not Frisian?

Numerous altars and tombstones of the Batavi, dating to the 2nd century and 3rd century, have been found along Hadrian's Wall (notably at Castlecary and Carrawburgh), and in Germany, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Romania and Austria. After the 3rd century, however, the Batavians are no longer mentioned, and they are assumed to have merged with the neighboring Frisian and Frankish people.

France, Lets look at the beaches of Normandy. Yes this area was settled by Norsemen, which is evident in the architecture. French people That are not French? WHAT? They certainly speak the language and are a part of the culture for the area. You can get yourself a post card from here with people who are wearing little white dutch caps and wooden shoes. There are many in France who call themselves French, which is accepted but of are Prussian stock.

Scottish, Meaning invaders, said to be of viking stock. You can find people throughout the world with Scottish last names, even in the philpeans. Why? because they invaded, pillaged, raped, procreated. Greece you will find people who are related. Where do you think parts of greece got its light hair and light eyes? Are they not greek because of this? Weren't the picts the original people of Scotland or was there someone there before them?

The Turks invaded the Netherlands. Raping pillaging, taking slaves. procreating and many with German Ancestry yet those from the Netherlands are still called Dutch. There are many Viking settlements in the Netherlands. The Tulip was actually brought over to the Holland by the Turks. Yet this flower is people identify with being Dutch.

Not one of these countries are what they claim to be. We identify ourselves, our ethnicity with the people we know and understand. with a land we consider home.

So basically this DNA tests is not accurate. It leads you to believe you are something you do not identify with being. It is all a MAYBE, but the test results presents itself as 100 percent accurate.

Just because your test says that you may be from a tribe in Africa, it does not mean that you are.

It seems to me that most of you who are getting upset that I happen to be American, are jailed to the conformity of the culture of political correctness. It's politically correct to say you're Japanese, Thai, Italian, Angolan, Brazilian, Mexican, but not American for whatever reason.

So I am saying I am American and no one can dispute this. Invasions, raping, pillaging, procreating. settlers, aboriginals in American Made me what I am today, just like all these other countries. Not a single country on this planet can claim to be anything other than the country they identify with. What percentage of America do I share the same DNA with? I am American

2 people like this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^I just think its beside the point of the thread, which was obviously intended for Americans (both continents), Australians, anyone who resides in a country that was only settled in the past 300 years or so to share where their ancestors came from.

I just think its interesting. If everyone answered "American" this thread would be really boring. There wouldnt be a point to it.

13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

This is a totally excellent post. Thanks for taking the time. (Danes too, up in the Danegeld) - Celts here and there (but never where they're expected lol

2 people like this.
  14. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Not everyone on this board is American though. If a non American posted in this thread, and didn't have a deep ancestry in that country, are they not supposed to say they are from that country too?

1 person likes this.
  15. Aerianne

Being "from" a place sounds a lot more in the moment than "heritage" does.

I'm from America but that's not the heritage given to me by where my ancestors were "from".

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

If a person of Swedish descent was born in...oh, I dunno, Japan...I would figure they would say Swedish as their heritage.because that's where their blond hair and blue eyes come from. Their physical attributes wouldnt come from Japan just because they live there.

Like my pale skin, freckles, and blue/grey/whatever eyes comes from my Scottish/English/Welsh ancestry.

my family has always been into genealogy, I just find it interesting. We had this huge family tree in my house growing up going back what seemed like a gazillion generations. I know where my family lived in Scotland and England, when and how they came to America, where they settled. I know the history of my Scottish clan.

I know not everyone really even knows their ancestral history and if you dont really know then it makes sense to just say American. It doesn't really bother me if someone wants to answer that way, I just didnt really think it was the point of the thread

17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Not really sure, the records are a bit sketchy. My brother has taken part in a y-chromosome DNA study, and so far everyone in the US with my surname has been shown to have descended from the same ancestor not too long ago, more than likely a guy named Peter who arrived in Maryland in 1674. He traveled from England, but that's not too surprising; that was a common place for Europeans to set sail from. Phonetically my surname is similar to a name in Portugal; there's even a village of the same name. Here's the interesting part: Europeans and South Americans have taken part in the same DNA study and so far none have been found to be a match with those of the same surname in the US. So it's if this Peter dude dropped from the sky or something.

My mother's side isn't as interesting. There is a solid line of evidence showing her ancestors are Irish. My paternal grandmother's family is equally boring; they arrived in the US from Germany fairly recently, in the late 1800's.

1 person likes this.
  18. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

are we bogging down in semantics

1 person likes this.
  19. abarambling

abarambling Banned

This thread makes me want to get that DNA testing to know your heritage.
    Does anyone know where to get this?

20. Aerianne

I forgot who they said was better than ancestry.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.