What is your favorite fruit?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kinky Ramona, Jun 18, 2014.

1. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

How 'bout peaches? :D

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Very tasty to look at.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't have any one favorite, wild blackberries maybe, in tangles along creeks, far from where they may have been poisoned along roads. but i love the taste of those i find free and uncultivated in the wild, so much better then anything you can buy in a store.

but then i like most things grown organically in a garden then bought in a store too.

aside from all the excuses either way, the simple bottom line is that what you find in the store, has been bred to remain cosmetic after shipping and storage. not to maximize its food value, nor what nature evolved it to be.

wild fruits, often small and 'funny looking' have the most wonderful flavor.

they don't need a ton of sugar to be made to taste like candy either.
    they each have their own distinct and wonderful flavor.

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Persimmon is known as fruit of the gods.

5. Asmodean

Diospyros. That being said, I'm not really familiar with them (had them once or twice or so) :p

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

wherever they grow wild i'm sure that they would be.
    being neither a god nor living where they do myself, well i'm sure they're fine for those who do.

7. thedope

the black berries you are fond of are likely an invasive species

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

in the northern sierras? rubus ursinus or vitifolius. i couldn't say for sure, but however they got there, they grow wild and free now, and are better then anything in the store.

9. thedope

I agree. In my area we have the same native black berry. They grow as trailing runners low to the ground or climbing over other shrubs not as standing canes. They are small and markedly sweeter than the asian invaders we so often see as massive stands next to roadways.

You bring up an interesting point about shipping and modern agriculture. Whereas fruit/s are sometimes picked prior to their state of optimum ripeness/sweetness they are nutritionally adequate albeit less tasty. Fruit has traditionally often been dried for later consumption. The deleterious effect of industrial agriculture is because of it's imbalanced storage and distribution. Local environments have carrying capacities and when you exceed those native bounds the result is pollution. Used to be we traveled seasonally to areas of local abundance or traded over land and water at the speed of animal endurance. Now we grow food in outdoor factories connected to mechanical shipping lines and the waste in quality over all is obvious.

10. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

The only fruit that I can think of that I actually am not keen on is gooseberries. I could not pick a favourite as I really like all fruits and tend to switch all the time.

Maybe though the answer is what ever is in season at the moment as I tend to gorge on that as it is at it's peak.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fruit salad.....I love to make it with fresh fruit and pineapple always has to be present....

12. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

also, always order my pizza with pineapple.....

13. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I like strawberry jam, bananas are good, orange juice, green seedless grapes are good, pomegranate.

i think its pretty cool that those plants just like, make that shit like that

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Good answer. Me too, actually =)

15. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Victoria plums.
    I also like gooseberries, kiwis and berries of various kinds.

sae68 likes this.
  16. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i have to agree with this. i remember picking wild blackberries in the woods as a kid, they were so fucking good. they were probably 1/3rd the size of ones at the store, and some had brown spots or bugs on them..but they were so tasty. i haven't been to that spot in a long time..

at my parents' house we had a bunch of apple trees that produced all different varieties of apples. they were usually mis-shaped or had "warts" on them and they were less than half the size of apples at the store...but they were about 20 times better tasting.
    we had a few other fruit trees (a wild pear tree and a plum tree that my dad planted) but they didn't produce much fruit or do so every year.

and we had three blueberry bushes that made the most beautiful blueberries...and very tasty too. so they didn't quite fit with the rest of the "ugly" fruit.

17. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Why were the three blueberry bushes so special?

18. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

Persimmons are my absolute favorite fruit. I live on them when they are in season and I swear they are the sexiest, most sensual fruit to eat ever. I feel high all season.

Durian is another one that makes me feel that way.

I also love mangoes, valencia oranges and dates...mmm...bananas are great too because they go well with almost every fruit.

Honeydew, peaches, papaya and cantaloupe are also great.

19. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In summer: watermelon, mango, nectarines, grapes

Winter: mandarins, bananas, grapes of the red fermented variety

20. Asmodean

This asks for a pic :sunny: