What is your diet like now?

Discussion in 'You Are What You Eat!' started by skip, Oct 17, 2007.

1. salatheel

salatheel Member

I 'm a 43 year old male and have been an on and off vegetarian for 6-7 years. I let some streesful situations get to me in the past 1-1/2 years and have eaten horribly. Fast food, processed meats and just about anything. That and a marriage that just doesn't work has contributed to a depressed downward spiral. I was usually around 170-175lbs at 5'11" but went ups to 210lbs. I also have been having 2-3 drinks every night. A week ago I said enough is enough and went back to being vegetarian and no alcohol. I do feel better already. I like to rely heavily on ethnic foods. I love Indian and Thai. I have been having a shake for breakfast with orange juice and a supplement called source of life. It has non-gmo soy and greens,minerals,vitamins in it. Then I snack on bananas,oranges,apples,raisins,grapes, and the like all day. Dinner is either a big salad with walnuts and almonds on it or some lentils or a healthy stir fry. I will occaisionally have some cheese or eggs but not often. I already lost about 5 pounds in a week. I have gone veggie for a couple years at a time and I feel like a totally different person when I do. Much more peaceful,happy,and calm. I love animals and feel very guilty about contributing in harming them in any way. I love to exersize and have found yoga to be very theraputic.

2. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

I recently gave up my 6 year vegetarian lifestyle because I didn't have the time or money to make alternative meals, and would then fill up on carbs, carbs, carbs.
    I'm hoping to go back to it once I am able.
    Right now I eat a small amount of meat about once a day, lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies, and unfortunately I load up on things with waaaay too much salt and fat.
    I'm trying to cut back but I find my will power goes out the window when I have a craving for something (which is every day).
    I'm 5'5 and 145 lbs, which is fine but I'd like to lose maybe 10 lbs in the next couple months. I'm also super lazy ever since I began uni. No more high school practise for 6 hours a week and no one forcing me to jog, so I don't do it.

3. goingtocalifornia

goingtocalifornia Banned Underage!

right now i have been a vegitarian for 3 years (and LOVING it) i eat pretty good (i had my first soda today in like 2 years... it tastes nastier than i remember) i do eat sugary desserts.... but they have to be homade so i know what goes in them. i have tried the vegan diet... my parents made me stop.

4. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

Been vege 4 6 yrs for animal and enviro reasons. Didnt have any suport but now im vegan as i cant eat dairy and not feel bad for animals and get gas. ALso 70%+ raw as it is healthy gives me energy and need to lose some weight but planning to eat like this forever or even go 100% raw when i can afford to eat more interestingly and buy dehydator etc going great

5. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

Been vege 4 6 yrs for animal and enviro reasons. Didnt have any suport but now im vegan as i cant eat dairy and not feel bad for animals and get gas. ALso 70%+ raw as it is healthy gives me energy and need to lose some weight but planning to eat like this forever or even go 100% raw when i can afford to eat more interestingly and buy dehydator etc going great, exercise (yoga, strength trainging, walking) everyday

6. junegloom

junegloom Member

Hi! I'm new and I think this is interesting! I hope its not too late to respond haha.

Well I'm a 19 yr old female, 5'0, very short, I weigh 107 lbs, I'm a vegetarian, I only drink almond or soy milk and water, I eat cheese at times and egg whites. I start breakfast off with an onion tomato cheese and avocado egg white omelet, lunch is either fake turkey sandwhich pbj or peanut butter nutella sandwhich with a small baby bel cheese and some fruit, then I eat a small snack a few hours later and for dinner I eat what mom cooks which is generally healthy. I exercise at least 5 times a weel, 15 mins of cardio and an hour or so of weight lifting. I used to eat pure junk and I never exercised and I was depressed and always slept but I feel so great and energized now

I was getting a little bit pudgy (120) and I'm 107 now but I'm still trying to get rid of stubborn fat. I can fast pretty easy too.

Hope this wasn't too long!
    Peace

7. junegloom

junegloom Member

Hi! I'm new and I think this is interesting! I hope its not too late to respond haha.

Well I'm a 19 yr old female, 5'0, very short, I weigh 107 lbs, I'm a vegetarian, I only drink almond or soy milk and water, I eat cheese at times and egg whites. I start breakfast off with an onion tomato cheese and avocado egg white omelet, lunch is either fake turkey sandwhich pbj or peanut butter nutella sandwhich with a small baby bel cheese and some fruit, then I eat a small snack a few hours later and for dinner I eat what mom cooks which is generally healthy. I exercise at least 5 times a weel, 15 mins of cardio and an hour or so of weight lifting. I used to eat pure junk and I never exercised and I was depressed and always slept but I feel so great and energized now

I was getting a little bit pudgy (120) and I'm 107 now but I'm still trying to get rid of stubborn fat. I can fast pretty easy too.

Hope this wasn't too long!
    Peace

8. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

I've been veggie 2 1/2 years, vegan for 1, and have been into raw for about a year too, but have never maintained a 70-85% raw diet for more than a month. I'm trying to get back into it, as it gives me so much energy. I just like eating cooked food, and cooking, plus raw food is expensive...
    I'm 17 years old, too. I never eat at my school, I'll be a senior in HS this year, and I will, like last year, bring all my own lunches :)
    Hopefulyl I'll have a lunch period this year, though, and won't have to eat in class -_-

9. wisp

wisp Member

Been Veggie for the last 6 months ( although i was for 5 years previously before a fell of the wagon for a while ) , cheese is the monster in my closet that stops me going vegan .I eat mainly pastas or rice with at least 3 veg in the evening , for lunch normally fruit and all bran or muesli fror brekky .I never eat takeaways , do weights 3 times aweek . I lost 25kg/55 pounds while on Duramine and stick to a vegetarian lifestyle helps me to maintain my weight.

I love all animals and cannot get over the fact that they are killed in the most horrible way just to feed humans , to me its barbaric
    peace to all

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I try to watch what I eat..

There are ALOT OF POISIONS in our food that most dont know about...

Chicken Meat and Rice have Arsenic in them!!

Many things have Toxins like Aspertame in them...

Other stuff to look out for is: Maltodextrin and Caramel Colour .. Both are un-needed crap which causes reactions in alot of people!

Caramel Colour gives me headaches in almost EVERYTHING ITS IN!!

Maltodextrin -- I try not to eat stuff with this in it,this is an artifical sweetener in which its purpose is to get you "HOOKED" on the product.....

Aspertame is the WORST TOXIN there is -- I dont eat ANYTHING with this crap in it... (Its getting quite hard finding stuff w/o this crap these days)

Alor of un-needed garbage in our food that didnt used to be used! (Especially in the US it seems) -- Its very important to be AWARE and avoid these things!

11. Bent Cold Sidewalk

Bent Cold Sidewalk Member

I grew up on garbage and wasn't healthy at all. We used margarine, eat lots of chips, cheetos, kid cereal, white bread, pasteurized milk, sodas, cookies, ice cream, carbs and sugar galore! I wasn't getting the protein I needed and was hungry 24/7, had no muscle, my jaw didn't form properly (braces), I got sick all the time, chronic constipation, etc. All into my adulthood.

My physique was skinny, little muscle, pudgy, pale and thin strait hair.

Over the last 2 years I began taking control of my health. I had read up on it starting with switching my dogs to a raw diet. One day I said, what would be the closest equivalent to that for me? To make a long story short, there is a book called The Metabolic Typing Diet. Every question about diet should be answered by this book. I always wondered why one person would a eat a diet and not be healhty but another would be on the same diet. Well, its that humans are on a metabolic spectrum, at one end is the carb type and the other extreme the protein type.

I am very much a protein type and that diet was the opposite of that. I also have gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance. So here's what I eat. Breakfast is a protein smoothie (Almond milk, raw whey, PB, fiber, 1 free range farm raised raw egg). For lunch I'll have some tilapia and sliced raw peppers or boiled eggs and a spinach smoothie. For dinner, I have a fatty hamburger patty (that's right my metabolic type needs fat to run right) I mixed the eat with finely chopped mushrooms, onions, peppers....YUM and I may top it with guacamole. So basically for me my meals are protein and low carb vegetables. Snacks are things like almond butter, nuts, yogurt, kefir, berries...etc. Things I eat little of are anything starchy or sugary (even fruit is not good for me).

I also LOVE raw Kombucha on occasion. Heavenly.

I take Krill oil and raw one vitamins and probiotics. I take vitamin D in winter too. I do sprinting intervals and weight training plus walk my dog.

Since these changes: I don't get sick, my hair is thicker and wavy not strait anymore! Its also darker and more red. I'm not constipated. I weight more but look leaner because its muscle not fat anymore. I used to weight 130 but now 145 (I'm 5-10 female).

One day I hope to be able to buy pasture range meat and everything like that, raw milk etc. I HATE factory farming its cruel, bad for the earth and economy. Just thought I'd mention that. I loath being born into this society and trapped in its system like this.

12. CrabbyPaws

CrabbyPaws Member

I have a good diet I think. I stay away from fast food restaurants, I eat plenty of vegetable, meat, fruit, dairy and home cooked meals which are fresh and organic. Every now and then I treat myself with take out though, even then, I eat with moderation and never have days where I just let myself go. Of course when I have cravings I eat a little chocolate but the initial reason I changed my diet is because I found out I generally don't like junk food. I love vegetables and fruit, but because of my fast paced life, I always opted for an easier and disgusting lunch or dinner. Now that I have started paying more attention to myself, I have started to learn what my body really wants and I feel more satisfied when I eat now instead of hungry again 5 minutes later.
    Though I don't understand why everyone is becoming vegetarian, I could never stop eating meat, lol. Of course I don't like animals to suffer but damn...circle of life. Perhaps I am being biased because I love it so much, I have just never been able to see advantages of it.

13. Orland

Orland Guest

Is this thread still active?

I was on a great diet for my activity. A lot of working out and constant movement.
    Didn't have anything organic because it is too pricey for a college kid, but when I have the means I will start eating organic.

14. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

This is the current state of my diet, for breakfast I'll have cereal with grains and dried fruit, lunch will be multigrain wholemeal bread with lettuce, canned tuna and tomato and margarine. As far as dinner is concerned, I'm still trying to sort that out. For snacks, I'll plenty of fruit, bananas, apples, strawberries and pears. Also I have nuts. If there's any thing I can improve on, that would be great. Hope this thread is still active like what Orland is asking.

15. wisp

wisp Member

With all respect naturedude , any idea how many dolphins are slaughtered :bigcry: to bring you tuna .Not picking on you just trying to make you aware .Dolphins normally swim after the tuna as they feed on them and end up being slaughtered in the nets meant to catch the tuna .

16. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

So what could I have instead? I'm not gonna go cold turkey with not eating meat.

17. SiriusBlue

SiriusBlue Member

This is beautiful! And to think I spend some pretty horrible years in traditional useless school...

My diet is:
    Breakfast:Fruit and cereal (real cereal not that sugary stuff from tv). Apples I eat alone with no other food, before or after.
    Lunch: Rice whit green stuff (anything I can find) and carrot, and other planty stuff. A nice big piece of meat or chicken with shrooms or whatever for taste, or just a bit of salt and pepper.
    Diner: More fruit, more green stuff and fish.

I cook by intuition so these are the ingredients and I mix them however I think thet will be tasty. No fried food and the veggies steamed. No sugar. Doble ration of starchy food cause I'm a skinny kid.

Love

18. Old Man Chrz

Old Man Chrz Guest

Vegetarian for the past 4 years.

Vegan for the past year.

Lost 150 lbs in the past 5 years.

19. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

Rich in antioxidants and good meat, yum.

20. Mason Grey

Mason Grey Member

my diet is pretty rough,
    i eat a lot of lamb and beef and bacon,
    a huge amount of fish
    not many vegetables
    a fucking ton of heavy beer
    plenty of scotch

my wife's friends own a vegan-raw-food restaurant and want to make a meal-plan/diet for me.......
    i am 6 foot and 190 lbs and love to eat.
    i used to be 170 and fucking ripped 10 years ago, but i am happier now fat and much much softer in my lazy life.