What is Your Attention Span like?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Frenchbeatz, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Frenchbeatz

Frenchbeatz Newbie

are you invested in the short duration songs or are you invested in the instrumentation, the lyrics, the substance in a song?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2024
    skip likes this.
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Mine is definitely the later, Wagner's ring cycle engrosses me for 13 hours.
    Jane tries to distract me by becoming my Brunhild, but she cannot find two stainless steel pie dishes the same size to make the bra and the stables won't agree to her painting one of their horses grey.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So it's about music? Well then, this song's about the right length.

4. p.marg

p.marg free spirited ✨❤️

I'm invested in the lyrics, the emotion, and the joy that a song brings me. Zoë Straub's "Loin d'ici" makes me happy to be alive.

Although I am not fluent in French, technology has provided us with digital translation tools that can assist in bridging language barriers. Additionally, the physical Promo CD includes a booklet with translations in Russian, English, French, and German.

If I had to choose just one song to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Zoë Straub's "Loin d'ici." I've already played it over 20k times on Spotify before switching to a more liberating platform like Bandcamp.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    ~Zen~ likes this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pretty much ONLY the way the music is laid out--the instrumentation--the emotion it can bring--the ENERGY it can bring-- don't much care about the lyrics. There are exceptions ---some lyrics bring sadness and some joy---but ----songs about being young-----:(

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  6. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I mostly listen to music while working the kitchen (prep, cooking, dining, or washing dishes) and when driving, so my attention is frequently away from the music. I use it to set the mood, and not for its specific properties beyond that.

Driving or cooking, even if the music has my full attention for a time, it is fleeting as I have to quickly turn my attention elsewhere.

7. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Not sure what you mean by "invested" or "short duration songs". I enjoy all parts of music. The lyrics are only an issue if they are stupid or annoying or offensive. I certainly don't need lyrics to enjoy music.

I've moved this to the Music Forum.

8. princess peedge

princess peedge Members

As someone who listens to both punk and metal, it just kind of depends.