What is wrong with American people today ???

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Vladimir Illich, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Instead of getting out a mobile 'phone a fiming it, why didn;t they put a stop to it ??? Its despicable !!!

‘Passengers used phones to record rape’ on US train without intervening

CLAUDIA LAUER
    19 October 2021, 11:44 amA man charged with raping a woman on a commuter train just outside a US city harassed her for more than 40 minutes while multiple people held up their phones to seemingly record the assault without intervening, authorities said.

More than two dozen train stops passed as the man harassed, groped and eventually raped the woman, the police chief for the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority said at a news conference.

Police do not believe a single witness on the train just outside Philadelphia dialled 911.

They are investigating whether some bystanders filmed the assault.

Both the man and woman got on the train at the same stop on Wednesday night in North Philadelphia.

Officers pulled the man off of the woman at the last stop.

They responded within about three minutes of a 911 call from a transport authority employee, authorities said.
    “What we want is everyone to be angry and disgusted and to be resolute about making the system safer,” Septa Police Chief Thomas J Nestel III said at the news conference.

Arrest records show Fiston Ngoy, 35, was charged with rape and related offences.

The affidavit of arrest for Ngoy detailed times of the assault, including that during those 40 minutes the woman appears to repeatedly push Ngoy away.

Mr Nestel would not give an approximate number of witnesses and it was unclear from the affidavit how many passengers were present for those 40 minutes.

Authorities have not released the surveillance video.

“I can tell you that people were holding their phone up in the direction of this woman being attacked,” he said.

Elizabeth Jeglic, a psychology professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, researches sexual violence prevention.

She said if people feel uncomfortable physically intervening, there are other options like calling the police.

“When we have multiple people, people don’t necessarily intervene,” she said.

“However, more recent research actually suggests that looking at video footage of more extreme circumstances that up to 90% of cases we do see people intervening.

“So it was actually somewhat of an aberration in this case that somebody did not step forward to help this individual.”

Superintendent Timothy Bernhardt, of the Upper Darby Police Department, has said surveillance footage showed other riders were on the train and someone “should have done something”.

The New York Times reported that Mr Bernhardt said that people who recorded the attack and failed to intervene could possibly be charged, but that would be up to the Delaware County District Attorney’s office to determine.

There were no calls made to 911 in Philadelphia.

Mr Nestel said police were still waiting for Delaware County 911, which covers the last two train stops, to determine if it received any calls.

Investigators said in the affidavit that Ngoy sat down next to the woman about a minute after he boarded the train car, shortly after 9:15pm.

The video shows her pushing him away multiple times until he is seen ripping her pants down at about 9:52pm.

Mr Bernhardt said officers arrived at the 69th Street terminal on the Market-Frankford Line, the busiest route on SEPTA, around 10 p.m.

A Septa employee who was in the vicinity as the train went past called police to report that “something wasn’t right” with a woman aboard the train, Mr Bernhardt said.

Septa police waiting at the next stop found the woman and arrested Ngoy, who they had pulled off of the woman.

She was taken to a hospital.

According to the court documents, the woman told police that Ngoy ignored her pleas to go away.

Ngoy claimed in his statement to police that he knew the victim, but could not remember her name and said the encounter was consensual.

Ngoy, who listed his last address as a homeless shelter, remained in custody on 180,000 US dollars bail.

His initial court appearance is scheduled for October 25.

Septa issued a statement calling it a “horrendous criminal act” and urged anyone witnessing such a thing to report it to authorities by calling 911, pressing an emergency button on every train car or using the authorities emergency safety app.

“There were other people on the train who witnessed this horrific act, and it may have been stopped sooner if a rider called 911,” the authority said.

Watch: Police superintendent says victim is an 'unbelievably strong woman'

scratcho likes this.
  2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Doesn't surprise me at all.
    Americans are getting dumber by the day. Me, me, me!!!

They should all be publicly humiliated and it would be nice if they could be prosecuted for something....but then we have a former president who does whatever he wants and faces no responsibility for his acts.....

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a little ray of hope occasionally: my daughters boyfriend and daughter were driving through a mall and saw a man whirling a women around by her hair while she screamed for help: he stopped immediately and jumped out of his car and kicked the mans ass big time.

4. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Happened to me once on a train. I went after the train manager, no dice. Met another passenger from the same wagon who told me the same idiot being disruptive and smashing bottles etc had began harassing one girl who left the train at the next station abandoning her luggage. I stormed back in a black mood already getting tunnel vision and went for that guy that in no time was lying in the middle of the mess of beer and shattered glass he made on the floor. When the train boss gracefully showed up, no one in the wagon mentioned the fact that I was actually the one who went overboard. In order to avoid predictable trouble I disembarked at the next station before they had a chance to call the pigs.

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The problems with Americans today, is we invented the term "Yellow Journalism". The article is a flat out lie, that was contradicted by the authorities who interviewed everyone. Some might have used their cellphones to snap a picture of the guy so he could be identified, but they didn't just watch it happen.

That's not to say Americans wouldn't do that, with dozens of men once raping women in broad daylight in central park, as the cops pulled them off one at a time, and others jumped in to replace them, and the camera people just kept filming. What's wrong with Americans these days? Nothing that blowing up Wall Street can't cure. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy insanity.

6. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't believe it's Wall Street at all. Too many layers protecting the criminals and punishing anyone who tries to help/stop it.

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Some 90% of Americans are foolish enough to have convinced themselves they're smarter than the rest, and better than average at detecting fake news. Almost none of them even know the dictionary merely contains popular definitions, and a quarter of them still claim the sun revolves around the earth, while their teachers all insist they had the finest education available. They tend to ignore anything they believe contradicts conventional wisdom and common sense, even though nobody has ever proven they exist anywhere in the world.

The idea there is anything remotely like a conspiracy in the US, belies all the facts that there's nobody home, and conspiracy theories are a step in the right direction for most. Americans are so gullible, even Donald Duck doesn't so much as try to sound reasonable.