What is the worst advice you've ever received?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Mar 4, 2018.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That same thing happened to me once. It's scary as shit, noticing that your breaks don't make the car stop anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

That's for sure. In the end, we regret the chances we don't take.

3. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

No, I disagree. For example, just yesterday, I asked for advice on this very bad cut I have on my thigh. It has a lot of pus and is turning green and blue and has a foul smell to it---I was thinking I should probably go to the doctor, but online I was assured that it would heal.

Thank god I got that advice, because I probably would have wasted quite a bit of money going to the doctor...

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

pics?

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am not saying that all advice has to be bad, but such things as altering drugs prescribed by a consultant cardiologist following heart surgery would prove fatal.

Other than telling you not to worry, were you given any advice on treating and looking after your leg?

The way that you describe it, flesh is decomposing which is producing toxins that could easily enter your blood stream and even lead to septicemia.

If you do not feel that it is that serious, keep it clean, take regular disinfected baths apply gentle pressure to get rid of as much puss and dead material as possible. Then protect the immediate are with a clean non stick dressing that allows air to breath into the wound. Sealing the area from oxygen will culture anerobic bacteria.

If after 3 days from the accident their is not a noticeable improvement, then medical intervention may be required to remove dead tissue and antibiotics given to control the bacterial infection.

The warning signs of blood poisoning from the cut are high temperature, nausea, head aches and a feeling of serious listlessness.
    At the same time keep a close watch on your leg BELOW the cut, since swelling could constrict your femoral artery. Change in color of your foot or a feeling of numbness is the first symptom.

I am not trying to alarm you, but I would hate to hear that things had turned bad and put you in a life threatening medical condition.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. Mountain Valley Wolf

UNFORTUNATELY, MWF passed away a few hours ago due to advanced stages of septicemia and gangrene. Coincidentally, his laptop is still open to a page where he sought advice on this yesterday. If only he would have gone to the doctor like he was planning...

OK---I'm joking to illustrate your point. Fortunately I have no such wound...

7. Mountain Valley Wolf

LMAO!!!

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am pleased about that, but still keep an eye on it. Working for London ambulance service for a few years after my retirement, I saw some horrible things.

I agree with you that rushing to the doctor for every minor ailment is a waste of their time and a complete waste of money. Since medical treatment is free here in the UK, doctors surgeries are full of time wasters
    Look after yourself, Regards, Wills.

9. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Any chance that the one that advised you to sell ended up acquiring it themselves?

10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think the worst advice I got was from my 4th grade math teacher (who was a real witch) that told me that I would never amount to anything. I was struggling with multiplying fractions or some shit and it frustrated her that she couldn't get through to me, so she gave up on me. Embarrassed the shit out of me in front of the whole class. That stayed with me mentally for some time.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There only your ears who needs em anyway

12. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

This is not a Black Widow or a Trapdoor spider. It's too big to be a black widow (also it's not black), and Trapdoor spiders are a type of tarantula that stay in the ground their entire lives (except for males, who leave and die). This looks like an Orb Weaving spider. They are not dangerous to humans. Trapdoor spiders do not live in your area, either.

It's too bad you killed her. Orb weaving spiders are extremely beneficial, and harmless to humans. As spiderlings, they eat massive quantities of mosquitoes, midges, fruit flies, and other potentially harmful flying insects. As adults, they take care of horse flies, wasps, hornets, and other large flying insects. If you find another like her, don't kill it, unless you like all of the aforementioned insects and their associated diseases/venom

13. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

That is horrible. I'm not shocked tho. I had teachers like her.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Doctors on the internet give you medical advice for half the money! Btw: I'm a doctor too and always happy to help a fellow forummer out for a small fee ;)

15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Doctor said to me (us):

"I don't think we need to do a biopsy, I'm 99 percent sure its not cancer, its just a fatty necrosis"

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

dad said-- you need to be a republican. That's as bad as it gets.

17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Follow your heart", is the worst advice I've ever received.

Jimi Smacks likes this.
  18. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

A teacher who says things like that to their students has no right being a teacher

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Nope......No Connection.....:relieved:

Cheers Glen.

20. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, she was a mean ol bag. 4th grade was rough with her. I realized that she just couldn't teach. She separated the class in half. Half the the students who were doing alright was on one side, and the others that were having problems (yours truly, included), sat on the other side. Once she thought you were good you got moved to the "good" half of the classroom. That shit was embarrassing. I was of course the last one to get my shit together finally. Hate that heffa to this very day for that!