What is the worst advice you've ever received?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by 6-eyed shaman, Mar 4, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Share the worst advice that anyone has ever given you--it could be about family, relationships, work, life, trivial matters, or anything else. By "worst" I mean advice that was so bad that you were so astounded by the person giving this advice to you, that you lost a little trust in them. Or maybe it was bad advice that you actually took, and you lived to regret taking it.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You don't count...

Actually that may have been the best advice, I donno.

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

To Sell A Car I Bought New In 1968......Drove For A Few Years And Then Put It In Storage.......

Took Advice And Sold It For $17-000......6 Months Later It Was Valued At $60-000......

12 Months Later It Was Valued At $240-000.....I Cry Every Time I Think About It......:cry::cry::cry:

Cheers Glen.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Buy Himalayan salt

:p

Orison, wilsjane, Eric! and 1 other person like this.
  5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Have No Idea Who Would Give Bad Advice Of That Nature......LOL...:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

wilsjane likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

Gives GlenGlen a one-armed man hug. I've heard similar car investment stories from plenty of people.

I sold a drum set for way cheaper than it was really worth once. So I know what it's like

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm tempted to say all of it.
    not because i'm brilliant or any of that bullshit which i'm not
    but because those who are the least so seem to think they are the most.

the problem with advice, however well intended, even if, on the face of it, it might be all wonderful and good,
    is the problem with applying it.
    if it were clearly and accurately understood, it is unlikely it would be needed.
    if, when, where it is needed, it is unlikely to be clearly and accurately understood.

this is a difficult thing, even for me, that people can insist on being so self blinded by hating logic as to insist upon doing so,
    whether because some belief told them to, or just because it is what they have grown up being used to.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Every dutch persons worst nightmare.

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Was Hoping For A "Reach Around".......:cry:

Cheers Glen.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

The secret is to bang the rocks together guys.

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

"Trust me"

themnax likes this.
  12. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

By a boss I once had at a job....."Go for the money."

I didn't....and never would.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Dont do it

I should have done it

14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That's a good one, Mel.

15. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up...

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My late mother and I were advised not to buy a house in London for £600 back in 1960. but rent one instead. Although it was one years salary in those days, she ignored the advice, feeling more secure owning her own property.

Last year, the property was valued at £2 million. Not many people earn that in one year. LOL.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Very true. No ones needs are exactly the same. Discussing an issue with friends is fine, but blindly following other peoples suggestions rarely works out.

Probably the worlds worst place to seek advice is the internet.

I was shown a forum on addiction to prescribed drugs a few moths ago, where a question was posted by someone who had been prescribed drugs following a TAVI procedure and told that they needed to take them 4 times a day for the rest of their life.

Their were floods of answers, where people assuming that they were pain killers gave all sorts of suggestions for the person to ween themselves off the tablets.

They were in fact anticoagulants. TAVI, involves fitting a synthetic heart valve to replace a failing aortic or pulmonary valve. Following the procedure, tissue congeals around the foreign objects as part of the natural bodies rejection. 2 capillaries branch from the aortic artery a few centimeters from the aortic valve in order to supply blood to the heart muscles.

Put simply, without the anticoagulants these capillaries would block and the patient would be dead within 4 weeks.

18. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I can't remember that I've ever been given bad advice. I generally do the wrong thing of my own accord.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

when i was in high school a mechanic told my that the supports under my truck were rusted through and about to collapse and i should replace them. my dad told me they were just trying to scam more money out of me and i should let it go, so i did. a few weeks later, the supports collapsed and cut my brake lines while i was driving. i got home alright, but that was some shitty advice.

20. 6-eyed shaman

For me it was:

“Just be yourself. You will be loved and respected for the kindness you embrace.”

Well not if you have a personality problem, you'll be used as a doormat. Learned that the hard way.