what is the south like?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lynsey, May 10, 2004.

1. makno

makno Senior Member

your kinna cute redneack gal ...what ya think of yankee transplants ?dime hibarita !

2. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

I know, I can't believe no one said anything before now. I read it then I was waiting for people to jump on him... I guess it doesn't offend anyone but you and me...

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

we've become inured to it, and rather good at letting people stand up for themselves like the mature adults they are. when the rest of us muck up the works it gets completely riduculous and pointless. free speech and all that.

4. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Quote: If you drink, and find yourself in one, you will find this to be a damn nuisance. Baptists and Bootleggers have seen to it that liquor laws have not changed in dry counties since 1929.I live in a dry town in the North here. It's the "birthplace of prohibition" no joke. Youi only have to drive about 5 minutes to get liquor though.

And KC, I'm serious about the story I posted earlier about the servants. Even my cousin was pretty surprised by the situation there.

5. MoonlightSilver

MoonlightSilver Member

I was raised in Birmingham, Alabama. It is not at all how many of you might expect. Nature is beautiful down here, absolutely beautiful. Our friends from Indiana visit and always say that it reminds them of a vacation mountain home. It is amazing. Stereotypes such as "they don't wear shoes" and "schools are terrible" are not true. There are probably some very very small towns where it is like that, but for the most part, the south is very nice. The stereotype that I have seen here is the "Southern Debutante" thing. There are alot of wealthy people that are very very concerned with appearances and gossip, atleast where I grew up. However, I grew up in a suburb that has one of the top school systems in the nation. People are very laid back and very friendly. And I'm sorry, but Southern people do know how to party hard... haha. Everyone that comes here is amazed at the hospitality. Yes, there are accents, but so what...there are accents everywhere.

I think we should all know better than stereotyping places or people like we do. Come with an open mind, and you will love it. There are cool people everywhere. Beauty is everywhere. You just might not be able to see it if you are walking around with your eyes closed.

6. freakwentflyer

freakwentflyer Member

The south is diverse, just as California is. Just look how different San Diego, LA, and San Fran is. And Barstow, and Mill Valley. Over all, the south is somewhat backward and consevative. But, you will find many positives about the south and pockets of layed back cool people.
    If you get the chance, come on down to the "Redneck Riviera", now billed as the Emerald Coast. It's the sugar white sand beaches stretching from Gulf Shores, Alabama (Home of Jimmy Buffet) through Pensacola, FL (home of Funktional Furniture) and San Destin to Panama City, FL (MTV's deep south spring break spot). Great place to play in the summer if you can take the heat.