what is the south like?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lynsey, May 10, 2004.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i call myself a redneck, due to my current location and surroundings. but i don't know any that actually fit any of the redneck stereotypes at all. i'm not a southerner at all, being from the left coast, though i did live there a while. once again, it's all stereotypes.

2. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

That is so crazy! I've never been to Mississippi, but Alabama is supposedly worse right? So I've been to Birmingham and some place on the far eastern border, both were really nice. Birmingham the people were really friendly, I admit to being afraid b/c of the stories I've heard. And the other place I went was a small country area it was really beautiful, we were only there at the park but there was a lot of people there too and they were all really friendly as well, they didn't even seem southern at all. I know there must be bad places like that its just that no one I know nor I have ever experienced anything like that.

3. superNova

superNova Member

i'm a redneck woman, ain't no high class broad... just a product of my raisin' and i say hey y'all and hee haw.....

;)

4. mynameiskc

this story actually sounds like a crock to me.

5. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

I'm in Atlanta now, a suburb of it anyway, but I've also lived in La Grange, Jacksonville, Macon, and Savannah. I've encountered the occasional moron, but I haven't really seen the widespread cultural problems that people here have been mentioning.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

6. mynameiskc

nah, you're just not spending your time deliberately looking for things to offend you about people in the south.

7. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

I have a good friend in LaGrange.

8. The_Mad_Buster

The_Mad_Buster Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is sad as folks act like the south is a remote place that few venture into.......come on....the south rocks and if the mad buster can hang thier anyone can.

I must say the south is one of the best places to live if I had my choice. Folks are kind and speak thier mind and if ya start no shit thier will be no shit most the time.......but now be aware those southern niggers are a spot meaner than thier domesticated brothers up north, most are good people overall. Have a great time and dont think folks are being extra nice to ya...its just thier way.

9. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Pressed Rat has it right, and this goes for any region, not just the south. The years I spent out west...it was the same thing. Denver was a fairly progressive city, but when you venture outside into the rural areas, folks get real strange. I remember attending a white supremacist church service in La Porte, Colo. for a college paper I was writing on hate groups. I thought people like that only existed in the south and up in Idaho, but racists, rednecks, bigots, inbreds are everywhere.

Atlanta is probably the most racially diverse, and progressive city I've seen in a long time....but the rural areas of the south....well, I don't visit them too often.... If I were you lynsey, I'd stick to the big cities as much as you can, unless you want to really see a entirely different culture. GO BRAVES!

10. superNova

superNova Member

haha don't scare her!

the town i lived in my whole life up until i went to college at 18 had a total population of 4000 people, and it was the biggest town in the county ---- and we were anything but scary. actually the county i'm from was the first county in north carolina to allow african americans to participate on athletic teams and has generally been pretty progressive on racial issues.

:)

11. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Folks have been putting too much stock in Easy Rider.

Are there spots in the south where you can get stomped or cut or shot or other kinds of fun? Sure!!! Can the same happen in the South Bronx? The Combat Zone? The east side of Chicago? South central L.A.? At a rest stop on Interstate 95 from Maine to Florida?

Shall I go on??

You can find trouble anywhere if you look hard enough. And trouble can find you even if you're not.

So, go enjoy your trip down south, keeping all that in mind.

12. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

what year was that? 1980?

13. The_Mad_Buster

The_Mad_Buster Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I thought people like that only existed in the south and up in Idaho, but racists, rednecks, bigots, inbreds are everywhere....DICKHEAD!

14. superNova

superNova Member

:p i don't remember exactly. it was in the 60s following desgregation.

15. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

why the "dickhead"?? by my comment Buster?

16. BigBong

BigBong Member

I love living in the south! Born and raised.. probally will die here..

17. mynameiskc

we get a lot of people from the south that come out here and work. they all are blown away by the landscape, it's pretty nice. and we get to listen to them talk and say "ma'am"

18. 4_Leaf_Clover

4_Leaf_Clover I Love

to get back to the original question,
    "what is the south like?"
    let me give you a floridian perspective...

-the south is hotter and more humid than most of the country.
    -summer thunderstorms kick ass!!! :)
    -people generally go at a slower and more laid back pace.
    -"southern hospitality" does exist in some places.

Northern Florida is actually more "south" than Southern Florida.
    down here in Tampa, we have a lot of retirees from up North,
    and the population is made up of people from Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. So in a way, South Florida is actually "north".

as far as culture is concerned, yes we have accents down here, although
    that has NOTHING to do with intelligence or lack of it. cities are cities wherever you go.
    they are chaotic and polluted and loud. Tampa is no exception.
    and rural people are just that: rural. They live on farms and raise cattle
    or grow oranges or tomatoes. It's not scary to go out into the country.
    It's actually really beautiful. There are some honestly pretty places
    down south.

If you are thinking "Deliverance" or something like that, it's not true.
    that stuff does exist, but it's a stereotype that is completely inaccurate
    for southern people.

we are just as drunk, violent, and stupid as every other region of the USA.
    ;) :p

19. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

Unless I am totally hullabalootionating again, yesterday there was a post in this thread that contained that evil word, ******. Where did it go?

I almost feel the same way about "Hippie" as "African-Americans" (Why are there no "African-Canadians", or "African-Englishmen"?) do about the "N-Word". We can call ourselves that, but if someone who is not a hippie calls me one, I might take offence.

20. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

If you are down on a bayou by the Mississippi, and find yourself with moccasins on your feet, do not move. Be very still, and quiet, or you will probably die. You would have to be a massive woman to survive multiple moccasin bites. Here, they are not shoes, they are evil tempered poisionous snakes.

"Y'all" is the 2nd person plural prounoun. Do not address an individual as "y'all", or you will loose grammer points.

We have Dry Counties in the South. If you drink, and find yourself in one, you will find this to be a damn nuisance. Baptists and Bootleggers have seen to it that liquor laws have not changed in dry counties since 1929.