what is the south like?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by lynsey, May 10, 2004.

1. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I am visiting mississippi and tennesse for the first time in august. Other than being hot and humid is it really that different than california?

2. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

What part of Tennessee? I live in Tennessee.

3. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

NOW STOP OLE HIPPIE,,,WE ALL KNOW SHES WAY PAST YER DATIN AGE!!!:D

HELL I DARE GUESS SHES HAD HER "WOMEN TIME" FOR NYE ON 10 YEARS...:p

4. olhippie54

I have a girlfriend, Hillbilly. I'm not looking for anything like that.

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i liked how the back roads actually had trees on them. but my time in tennessee was truly wretched, through no fault of the geography, so i can't really give a good response.

6. hippiehillbilly

ANN,,THAT IS WHAT I JUST SAID AINT IT??:p

7. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i thought it seemd you were implying he was hitting on her. must be my low IQ.

8. hippiehillbilly

MUST BE,, CAUSE ,, NEVERMIND,,....;)

9. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Tennesee is very beautiful. The Great Smokey Mountains are magical and quite breath-taking. I suggest you take some time on your trip to do some hiking through them. :) Theres a lot of culture and history in the south, more than most other states.

10. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

It's very very humid. You can stick your tongue out and drink the air. (Well, almost :p)Tennesee and Mississippi are also very much in the Bible Belt... so be prepared to get strange looks in small towns if you wear anything remotely phreaky.

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I've been to the south several times. I don't like it there.

While there are some nice aspects to the south - scenery-wise - everything is just so rednecked. Southerners will probably hate to admit this, but it's the south that really gives America its bad rap - besides our own government. Now I am not trying to say that everyone from the south is an uneducated hick, but the prevailing mentality of many southerners just sickens me. So many of them are just so uneducated and bigoted. There is no way in hell I would ever want to live there.

I think the Talking Heads summed up the south best in their song 'The Big Country.'

"I wouldn't live there if you paid me."

NOT that us Yankees are much better, but the north is at least more civil and open-minded than the south, for the most part anyway. I mean, just look at all the bigotry and hypocrisy that has come out of the south over the years.

Sorry, but being around a bunch of poorly-educated, narrow-minded, war-mongering bible-thumpers doesn't really make me feel at ease. Frankly, it scares me.

12. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

the south is kinda scary matt.

dont be afraid to just say what you mean without having to justify it.... if ppl. take offense, fuck em.

13. olhippie54

Rat sure described me.

14. makno

makno Senior Member

its goin to be way hot in agust.try like stella blue said to head up higher elevations for outdoor rec.what parts you goin neer? theres a lot of cool parks and the app,trail. as far as language , it is another dialect of english ,you will have to be attentive , and intuative, to what is being said to you and how you say things ,make sure your comunication is deft!

15. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Chill out, Marc. I know you're not like that. You seem like a good guy to me.

Again, I am referring to the general mentality of the south, not every individual southerner. I know many southerners in these forums who seem like great people to me. And I am sure many of them would agree with what I said to a degree.

16. olhippie54

Your turn to chill, Rat. There is a lot of truth to what you say, but in the 27 years I've lived here I have seen a lot of changes in attitude. At least in my little slice of the south.

But, believe me there are places in the deep south that scare the hell out of me.

17. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

I live in the south and I can say that I have witnessed first hand the pure ignorance and stupidity of the rednecks, bigots, Bible-belt poster families, and yes even the dreaded inbred fucks. I'm originally from the North and it really is so much better.

Luckily, I live in a county south of Nashville that's actually like the 10th richest county in the nation. It's a pretty nice area, there is alot of beautiful land and the backroads are fun too.

18. olhippie54

I live in Sumner County NE of Nashville.

19. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I am 22...HH

Anyway I am going at the begining of august. So I should bring sundresses and hide my libertarian view points.

20. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Hrm, it depends on what you call south when refering to a certain mindset. In places like backwoods Louisiana the mindset is very different from say, Atlanta Ga, or other places. Sure some places ARE scary, but that's anywhere, north or south. For example New Yorkers scare the shit out of me, most of them tend to be agressive, pompus, and have HUGE tempers. Scary people are everywhere.