What Is The Second World?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jimbee68, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I guess is a political question. Correct me if I am wrong.

But which nations exactly fall into the range of "second world".

Allow me to elaborate. We all know "third world countries". Haiti, Ethiopia, I could go on and on.

And I suppose "first world countries" would be the affluent countries, like Europe and Canada.

So who falls into the "second world" range? Is the United States there now? And how do you define "second world country" anyways?

Thank you in advance to all who reply :).

:guitarist:[​IMG]

2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Guess The Definition Of "2nd World" Would Be A Starving Child In Ethiopia

Texting An Order To KFC On A Smartphone... :)

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

That's just bad Glen... lol :)

Without doing any research, my guess is the United States is and always will be a "first world" country.

A second world country would probably have access to cable and internet. They always have clean water and toilets that flush. But perhaps their economy is less sophisticated in some way...

Actually I better look this up. Ok, I was wrong. Second World:

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+a+second+world+country&oq=what+is+a+second+world+country&aqs=chrome..69i57.4936j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Well, first of all I'm hoping that when you said "countries like Europe" you were just funnin' us rednecks. There are at least 30-40 countries in Europe. It's the continent that has preserved 2,000 years of Judeo-Christian civilisation and provided all the basic institutions which underpin The Republic.

However, I've always wondered the same. How the heck did the 'second world' get skipped over in the rush to the third?

One of the requirements to enter the Third World is to be a tribal culture, rather than a centralised bureaucracy. Centralised bureaucracies such as the US, the UK, France, Germany and dozens of others establish security, the rule of law and a stable currency. Sure, these elements may get a bit ragged around the edges but until you've seen the alternative, where life isn't worth a farthing and there's no recourse to justice whatsoever, you don't know how lucky we are - flawed as our systems are.

5. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Not sure what you mean by The Turk states, for the five central Asian republics: Turkmenistan, Tadjikistan, Kyrgystan, Kasakhstan and Ubekistan (which used to provide free transit for our war materiel flowing into the Afghan battlespace and perhaps still does)

6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

What about San Marino, Bermuda, Luxembourg, Singapore?

7. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Expression is a relic of the Cold War where the Second World was the Communist Bloc, including Warsaw Pact Nations

The Third World were considered the non-alignied nations.

This is dated terminology.

1 person likes this.
  8. soulcompromise

this site provides a list of "second world" countries. It also admits that the term Second World is outdated. I don't know what it means, honestly, but since it was the first result in google I'm guessing it's a good estimate.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/second_world.htm

From what I can gather, second world refers to countries that were formerly communist. Thus, the definition of first world, second world, and third world, isn't meant to indicate levels of poverty at all. Why they refer to these countries in an ordinal sense is a mystery.

9. soulcompromise

I quoted that from a website which was referenced in the initial posting.

10. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

OK - We always called them the CAR (Central Asian Republics) in analysis circles. They're all in a ring and have been fought over for centuries