what is the point of meditation?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by kayy, Aug 30, 2005.

1. kayy

kayy Member

hi! i need to hear from you what medition is all about, i don't get it. I LOVE doing yoga, i can get really high of it if I am disiplined and focused, but i don't know how i can meditate and feel that i am doing an effort/making progress. I don't know what to focus on, people talk about respiration, but i feel so bored/stupid. I need somedthing more SPIRITUAL, ok i know it's me who is the ignorant here, i accept it, but i want to go deeper in this, isn't it something more substantial to focus on? thanx....

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

Ok, now for the real stuff.

Who are YOU?

Sit down and relax and feel yourself in YOUR skin and just a general sensation for who YOU are.

Or just sit and notice your mind moving - notice that it is thinking ALOT more than you thought it was thinking. Or that it's not thinking at all - or whatever it's doing.

Forget about conventional meditation - it's great for the experienced but not for the beginners. Forget about breathing technique - if you're relaxed then you'll breath properly anyway. In fact forget Yoga as a spiritual exercise. It's great excercise physically but unless you are doing it because you feel it's the most natural thing in the world it's not a going to be a fantastic spiritual path. In fact I would guess that you are only doing Yoga because that's what you are aware of as opposed to the myriad of other techniques that haven't had fads made out of them.

Just find something you love doing and do it - there is nothing more spiritual in the world. When you do something you love you feel a great connection with yourself and with the world around you - it's as if everything is moving at the same pace as you, as if you are an integral part of the universe and not just a bit on side.

Or exploring love - they said God is Love don't they. Fall in love if you're not already, re-explore relationships you've already formed - it doesn't matter as long as you remember Gibran:

"Do not try and direct love's course; for love, if it finds you worthy, will direct your course"

Blessings

Sebbi

3. Gentle

Gentle Member

Hmmm. It's just different for everyone I guess and there are so many forms or med it's almost a vague term. For me it's about thinking about nothing and learning to shut down that chattering monkey that gabs away non stop in our heads. It's like we are a schizo nation and to some degree I think most people suffer from it. All those useless and harmful thoughts that spin around in our minds and mess up our day to day lives. If you think about it many use hard drugs like smack for that very reason, just to shut it all down and mediation can do that in a healthy way without drugs. It seems we forget esp in North America that it's important to learn how not to think in order to think clearly and gain knowledge without the corruption of our thoughts, insecurities and society talking to us. I find if I shut down all thought in the morn soon after getting up I have a much more productive day b/c my mind is free of the bullshit. Not to mention how influenced we are by our dreams when we wake up and not remembering them but having then buzzing in the subconcious is worse so we carry this into the day. Then we go to bed at the end of the day into dreams without ever clearing the mind posing the q, at what point do we fully wake up and take control of our mind. I can remember when I started how hard it was to even go one minute wiithout some ridiculous though invading the mind. The spiritual for me just seemed to come naturally after I learned to still the mind b/c it was now free to go other places.
    peace
    Gentle

4. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

I do it to relax. To center myself in an ocean of calm. I do it to let go of my ego for a while and instead focus on being, and maybe become less judgemental and more compassionate.

By the way, realizing how ignorant you are is the first step in learning. This is a good thing.

5. kayy

kayy Member

thank you, all of you, you have given me inspiration to try this

6. rainwater314

rainwater314 Member

another good point of meditation is that it is physically beneficial. it helps to lower blood pressure and reduce stress.

7. ngangoli

ngangoli Member

Hi,

Meditation has many benefits physically and emotionally. In its purest form meditation is the method of gaining mystical insights into our own nature and the nature of the Universe. Most of us need not worry about these subjects when starting meditation.

One of the main benefits that I have received from my meditation practice is that I have learned to be more accepting of myself in all my aspects. When you are alone with yourself meditating - you are forced to face yourself. You cannot hide from what you are. One important tip to all meditators is that in your hours of meditation, get into the habit of welcoming every thought and feeling as it arrises. Witness it without reacting, and let go of it. This simple act will do wonders to your peace of mind and confidence - I am speaking from experience.

For more on this subject please visit my website below

regards

Nikhil

8. freakon

freakon Member

thank so much all of you for sharing this to me, I really start to get some real feeling and understanding for this.

9. ezyrider50

ezyrider50 Member

it can also calm you of your worries if this hasent been already mentioned. Although this is one of the harder experiences to acheive through meditation in my opinion, it just depends on the type of situtation or problem thats worrying you. I agree about meditating to nothingness this is very effective in looking at a problem in the whole or the big picture so to speak and also just clearing your mind.. in fact alot of times what meditation really relies on is knowing your inner spiritual focus and reflecting the negitive things such as death, psychosis, greed, jealousy ect. boredem ect.

Medititation also is good when combining good karma and a knowledge of compassion and wisdom attained through practices such as yoga, meditation, self-healing, reading, exercising or otherwise just trying to acheive attainment and enlightenment.

10. misterymachine

misterymachine Member

try reading "the wooden bowl"
    it is a very simple, straight forward book, with one good perspective on meditation.
    it gives you something to start on too. an idea of what to "do" for a beginner

11. Nicolas Bhai

Nicolas Bhai Member

BWell al this came to pass to my road
    Can i let you a big load=?

Meditation is for means of self realization, that´s all.

If you all like to read plz do not doubt to handle some literature of His Divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupäda.

Really this is only the authorized metod of self realization presented by the supreme authoriy GOD in this matter, because meditation and the remanants that the exercise lend onto the practitioners in the physical order of health are good, but it will last just as your boddy will last, let me tell you it will die too as mine.

Meditation is meant for self realization, for means of realizing the spiritual entities that each of us are, like sparks of divine light.

So kinddly let this advice get its transcendece onto you as for my self will be deeply ancouraging to pass ovah the message that come out of Godhead, for the people and for mee too

His Divine grace presented the metod of Krsna conciousness, or God conciousnness that will heal your heart and the your boddy will always be new !

Yeah, usually many acharyas or swamis come to represent his master´s will also, and then metods and metod and way to yoga be flourishin this way onto our lifes that our souls day a day doesn´t feel it real nature out of purity and real bliss, now let me tell you the filosofical aproach out of truth - this Swamiji am taking is the mere representative for the yogic evidence in the world. Hinduisms is good but with a bonafide spiritual master as your teacher and guide, He writes about out of His mission very nice and fullfiling books, you will see, go on find him, Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupäda, He will guide everyhumble soul to the trascendetal stage of freedom bliss and self realization at the vaikhunta planets of divine existence and knowledge.. Let me say, He will let youknow what you are missing, thats all.

Chant HARE KRSNA and be happy, thats all.

12. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

Hike up a mountain and do your yoga, Find a waterfall and do your yoga. Find a cliff overlooking a cow and horse pasteur and do your yoga.

You don't focus on anything. You remain open. You hear something, watch what comes up in your mind. Do not get identified with what you are thinking, just see that soemthing as been triggered in you, see that your thought process has started, see and feel that your body has changed.

Appreciate that you are alive, that you can appreciate living, doing yoga on a mountain top, seeing the birds in flight, feeling the soft summer breeze on your ear lobes, being able to feel the ground walking back to your car... Forget about thinking about being more spiritual, just be more spiritual. Don't think. Do. Forget about the path, just enjoy the trip.

To me, meditation is for those who are sick and tired of thinking. To me, thinking hurts. If I have hiked to the top of a mountain, do you really think that I will be thinking about making my car payments, how to work harder and get ahead, the clothes I have to iron for tomorrow, the groceries shopping I have to do next Tuesday, the retirement account I have to set up?, etc. I be sitting watching the wind play against my earlobe, the sqwuak of the eagle, the flower blowing in the breeze... and then everything stops... It.

13. SunshineChild

SunshineChild Mad Scientist

Also, when I began meditating when I was 11, it dramatically increased being aware of what was going on around me, and helped me pay attention severely.

14. Nicolas Bhai

Nicolas Bhai Member

yes it bring i self to the self conciousness also, and then the spiritual hunger can be settled in self realization.. Enjoy the tripp am fair enough in acordance to white feather.

thank for existence !

15. GanjaPrince

GanjaPrince Banned

I do it to develop ONE POINTEDNESS OF MIND ON THE HERE NOW, that LEADS TO MORE AND MORE knowledge of the ONE CONSCIOUSNESS, and destroys the ego.

:)

And taking it seriously is a really really big mistake... It's a cosmic joke... having a sense of humor about your spiritual practice is very important.

So sit down, DO NOTHING, GO NOWHERE (NOW/HERE) and BE

A great meditation that is found in so many traditions is the breath. Just make the breath, slow deep even breathes your focal point... the mind will wander, just giggle when it does have compassion for your practice then come back... Don't judge your thoughts and emotions and dont judge yourself for judging and dont judge yourself for judging your judging mind because your not suppose to judge it. You get the point, lighten up!

I do in a yoga sense which means "Attaining direct experience of the core of that preexisting holistic being who we truly are at the deepest level and that is attained through samadhi."

So at times, you get absorbed in your focal point, so much that you dive deep into this awareness, into deeper and deeper levels of sadmahi... through this you learn the secrets of life and the universe and all of it, more so then anything outside of you could tell you.

Two men meet on the street.
    One asks the other: "Hi, how are you?"
    The other ones replies: "I'm fine, thanks."
    "And how's your son? Is he still unemployed?"
    "Yes, he is. But he is meditating now."
    "Meditating? What's that?"
    "I dont know. But it's better than sitting around and do nothing!"