What is the one piece of advice you got that changed your entire life?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Share with the Hip community please.

Love, bird.

2. PinkEye

PinkEye Member Lifetime Supporter

One time Wanz (black guy from "Thrift shop") Told me to relax.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Letting it go.... because life is too short and people don't live forever.

(yea, sounds simple. very simplistic really. but it can be monumentous to actually let go of things that hold you back----)

Oh, and also along those lines ^^^^ (the holding YOU back).... exactly that also, that holding onto anger/hurt/etc doesn't hurt that person, it hurts only yourself.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If you can't afford it you better learn how to build it yourself.

5. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Ive got nuttin

6. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

After I watched 'The big Lebowski' is when I started to say fuck it. Best move ever too, All my shit is paid for in full and I can focus on trying to race again.

The other was, 'Life meets nobody halfway, If you want it, Go and get it' and it has never failed me. Reason I only need what I can pay in full for.

A cool buzz, Some tasty wave's, And im fine.

7. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

I honestly cannot think of anything.

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

The other two I'd say would have to be...

That when you are on the forgiveness track (forgiving other people), don't forget to include yourself, as most people are WAY harder on themselves then other people would be.

And..
    to not take yourself and life too seriously.

:)

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that there is no advice that is ever completely useful without understanding the motivations of those who give it, as well as what your own hopes and intentions might happen to be.

or to put it another way, "good advice" costs nothing and its worth the price.

or i could say, expect nothing save change and diversity, because that is the only nature reality has. if you can avoid the disappointment that is the price of expectation, life is the greatest show in life, or something.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Never let an anteater stick his head in your pants.

11. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

There were group of us guys and girls (young, all of us). One of the girls got sorely offended at something I did. She made it very clear how she felt about my comportment. Everyone laughed, except me. I was rather taken aback. This was all new. Never seen the girl before or since. At first, I thought she had a problem [not with me]. A couple of days later I began to give her words some thought. A week later, I realized I needed to work on some things. Wish I could run into her and sincerely thank her.
    The next incident involved two fellows discussing a work proposition. I happened to be in on the fringe of the conversation and politely listened. The first fellow (whom I did not know) was regaling to the second person (with whom I had a slight acquaintance) his good fortune in finding such a prospective employment opportunity. You could tell it was something he felt compelled to share to make it a reality. Tom feigned indifference unsuccessfully, and after several minutes made an excuse to leave. That left the fellow alone with me and an awkward moment for the both of us. I naively asked if he could possibly get me on board. He looked uncomfortable.
    Instead of lying and taking off, he unwillingly told me that my Enlish was so bad (he was being as decent about it as he could), that I would not even be considered for an interview. He looked really bad that he had to tell me that. Once again, I had something to think about.
    Decades later, I am regularly told that I speak well and conduct myself like a gentleman.

many thanks to a couple of strangers,

JKHolman

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Never take candy from a strangler.

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

King Edward VIII

14. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Always be financially independent by finding something that you love to do and can make a living at. My dad was a smart man.

15. nz male

nz male Senior Member

I got told by my grandparents to give up cigarettes - you will save a heap of $'s for other purposes in the future - I took their advise & had a big deposit to put on a home purchase for someone my age. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke & it gives me headaches if near it for too long.

16. wcw

wcw Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Quit fucking thinking and feel for a change!"

17. redox76

redox76 Guest

when i was told to go into drug manufacturing as i have a gift when it comes to chemistry it has brought me much material gain but thats not why i practice it i like living off the grid, being a ghost, travelling around and practicing the discipline it makes me feel alive when i finnish each synthesis but its never perfect so i have to try again and again always looking for ways to improve my yeild ive been at this now a decade or more and am still working on my reseme my new interest is opioid chemistry fascinating stuff!!!! phenethylamines were a good jumping off point and they pay the bills but man this opioid chemistry is the bomb!!!!!!!

18. wcw

wcw Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Man, I wish someone would have given me that advice years ago.

19. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

"stop taking life seriously!"

I think it came from Bill Hicks... that really changed my life!!

20. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I have heard of this stuff but I honestly never knew it actually happens...wow. :)