What is the most prescient sci fi?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by ZenKarma, Sep 7, 2020.

1. DapperBuff

DapperBuff Members

Funny how far off Blade Runner was.

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

In what ways? I thought they had it right about some stuff... like the grim future being an example.

3. DapperBuff

DapperBuff Members

Flying cars. Replicants, let alone anyone, living offworld. I didn’t think the “grim future”necessarily was sci-fi.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

Very good points. And we have no giant pyramid housing in LA yet... and probably drought, not endless rain. Yes, PK Dick was off the mark there...

But really, he was mostly shivering in a corner struggling with demons in his head for most of his adult life. He was a total drug addict, and quite wild. We knew one of his editors quite well and he told us some about him.

DapperBuff likes this.
  5. DapperBuff

DapperBuff Members

Instead of just a “like” button, there should be a “laughing” button as well.

6. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Knight Rider most definitely predicted the coming of self-driving cars.

Robocop, in a very scary fashion, predicted how powerful large, multi-national corporations would become.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. ~Zen~

Saw a very funny sci-fi homage film last evening... it has bits of most the major motion pictures themes woven together quite well.

Paul

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I thought of Kit and Landon the other day; I can't remember why, but I definitely also thought of autonomous vehicles. Strangely, it also occurs to me that they would be a significant improvement over the current situation where I tolerate other drivers but am overall dissatisfied. :worried:

Perhaps they can be programmed to follow speed laws.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  9. DapperBuff

DapperBuff Members

I feel like we are currently fighting to (not) reach the tipping point toward The Terminator.

~Zen~ likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

wait...

It was david hasslehoff?!?!

~Zen~ likes this.
  11. ~Zen~

Yup.

soulcompromise likes this.
  12. soulcompromise

:tearsofjoy:

13. 1candaulist

1candaulist Members

To answer OP's question, I'd probably have to go with Star Trek. As fantastic as the special effects were back then, so many have made their way into our daily lives- touch screens, flip phones, handheld medical instruments, etc. Hell, scientists have even been able to recreate teleportation, albeit in a lab and only with photons, but it worked.
    To be honest though, I hate the thought that we are already in our future. We won't live to see it but I prefer to think of our future as a time we haven't reached yet. Habitations on the moon or other planets. Offworld travel being available to everyone, not just governments/military. I guess I envision our future to be very close to "The Expanse" series. There is some far-fetched alien technology in it, but the realism of the show and the inclusion of actual science in how its made makes me think that's where we're headed.

~Zen~ likes this.
  14. ~Zen~

The most prescient sc-fi is perhaps this interview with Arthur C Clarke, author of 2001, A Space Oddysey and the inventor of the communication satellite.

He predicted our lives as we are today, from the 1960s!!!

Imdan likes this.
  15. Like2share

Like2share Members

One of the most boring movies ever lol

16. Imdan

Imdan Members

Flash Gordon predicted video chat way back when. It also predicted Michael Jackson's clothes.

MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  17. ~Zen~

G
    Great observations!

I loved Flash Gordon on black and white tv when I was a kid.

MeAgain likes this.
  18. BryanK

BryanK Newbie

Science Fiction stories are less about predicting the future than they are commentaries on the present.

19. Rotten Willie

Rotten Willie Members

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World about a totalitarian world state has come to pass in China and may not be long for us unless we wake the fuck up.

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Rainbow Warrior poetry is extrapolated from the Tao Te Ching and I've spent many years discussing it with other fans of the genre, and we all agree it suggests we inhabit a Goldilocks universe, resembling Jim Henson's, "The Dark Crystal" and the "Muppet Show". Of course, we all agreed it must be one of those metaphors that might make more sense to the dead but, then, I discovered its true! The next scientific revolution will worship Jim Henson as a prophet!

~Zen~ likes this.