what is the best way to learn spanish without taking a class or buying a product

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by pit pat, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Lisales

Lisales Member

I have one place for you: www.spanishdict.com

You have to register (free) but you get video lessons, flashcards and exercises to work with. It's perfect if you're a beginner.

2. ClintonsSon

ClintonsSon Yeah......it's Me!!

My thought was somewhat similar but forget the criminal elements. Buy a one way ticket to a Hispanic country like for example Mexico and "burn your bridges" and force yourself into a situation where you "have" to learn the language! But....if you could afford a ticket I guess it would be cheaper to get the Rosetta Stone stuff.....oh well....as The Dude says...."Fuck It!":)

3. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

This. My Spanish improved exponentially when I started reading children's books. I find watching movies or television with the subtitles on in Spanish highly effective, but honestly exhausting. My brain feels completely full of farts after an hour or two.

4. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Watch novellas.

5. BlondeSunshine

BlondeSunshine Members

It's good to watch educational programming to learn languages. I was lucky to learn it from a nanny. [​IMG]

6. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When Dr. Franklin went to Paris in 1777 he acquired a "Sleeping Dictionary"

7. deepblue897

deepblue897 Member

join nasa, go to the moon and read a spanish book...

8. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

get a spanish brother's grimm book for children. make sure whatever Spanish book you buy is written by a native speaker. i once got a brothers grimm in Spanish translated by an English native with a spanish degree and lol it was horrible.

read simple things. stay away from don Quixote until your Spanish is excellent . buy a spanish-english dictionary. Spanish films are amazing, especially the ones from Spain. good luck.

9. Clementine89

Clementine89 Members

Get the Duolingo app, for example. Or just google "Spanish for beginners", you will probably find a lot of resources. There's stuff for free too, websites like Youtube, for example. Go to Interpals.net or ConversationExchange.com (or .net too?) to find natives who will help you. You can find tutors on iTalki too.

I learned English by talking to natives but I already had a bit of knowledge. If you start from scratch it might be more complicated.

10. HM1119

HM1119 LIFE IS GOOD: BUT GOD IS GREAT Lifetime Supporter

The gest way to learn a different language fast is with hanging out and making friends in their nationality. That is how I learned English. I spent a lot of time during and after work hours with Americans during and after after. My boss and his family were very supportive and let me hang with them. My fellow laborers just stuck arrount of time with latiinos.

nickynicky likes this.
  11. I agree with HM1119. Immersion is the best way. We learnt our french by coming to France. Holidays yes , but it really sunk in when we were here permanently with no other Brit speaking people. The TV helps tremendously to pick up the accent even before you understand the words.
    Nicky x

12. HM1119

Most ethnic people want to practice their practice language after they move to a foreign country even at home. You never will be fluent. My fellow mexicans labled me that i was a kiss ass because i preferred to be around with americans not because i was a racist but because i knew i needed to master english and get promoted and take me ahead. i can teach you if you want to communicate time to time. I work for a real estate devellepor and manangement company so i get to work mainly outside. My wife works at same place in cleaning for the same bosesse but she does not speak an onnce of english. Not legally married but ha ve four kids with gloria.

nickynicky likes this.
  13. HM1119

No matter how much you book study, the easiest and fastest way is to cut ties with your native language friends and surrounding your self with the people who are fluent in Spanish. That's what I did to learn English. My employers were English and I told my girlfriends and children to only speak English and not Spanish. My coworkers were beyond helpful and were great.

14. Julio Torres

Julio Torres Members

Work with Spanish speaking coworkers, join Club with Spanish speaking members, get a Spanish speaking girl or boyfriend, volunteer in Spanish community.

15. Etherea

Etherea Members

If you want to be able to read and write as well as speak there is no substitute for book learning unfortunately.
    Most countries have official language schools which are either free or have minimal registration fees.

Julio Torres likes this.
  16. Julio Torres

Julio Torres Members

G7

By no means am I a scholar but I learned fluent English in 4 years working full time. My wife was in Mexico for the first two years taking care of the kids while I worked as a menial labor and eventually moved my family. I made great Fri and had full support. I know I am saying English but that's reverse of what you want to do do.

17. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When Benjamin Franklin moved to Paris, France to negotiate the alliance and war in 1778, he spoke no French.

He took on a: Sleeping Dictionary to improve his French language skills.

18. Julio Torres

Julio Torres Members

You need a combination of everything to help you but to expedite you should try to associate your personal surroundings

19. HM1119

Join online forums that is in english and not spanish like quora or reddit and communicate. That is how i learned english faster than other family members.

20. Beautiful Erica

Beautiful Erica Members

use google translator