What is the best laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by matone, May 30, 2013.

1. matone

matone Guest

I am going to buy a laptop for the first time...any recommendations on what to get in the $500 to 700 dollar range? I don't know much about computers.

2. Brudof

Brudof Member

There's not one best laptop, it depends what you're planning to use it for, budget, etc. PC or Mac? PC is cheaper/better performance overall, but it depends on what you want. Stay away from big stores like bestbuy, futureshop, walmart etc. Lots of good deals online. Try sites like newegg or tigerdirect, they've got great deals and most of the products have hundreds of reviews so you can get an idea of what you're getting before you buy. If you don't feel safe buying it online try to find a local computer shop. I like ASUS laptops.

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'm by no means an expert on the subject. The 2 cents I would throw in is that unless you need compact size/ portability of a laptop, you can probably get more bang for your buck from a desktop.

4. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

A few questions to help you decide:

1. What do you need it for?
    2. How much do you intend to use it?
    3. How big do you want it to be? If you want to have a bigger screen, you'll need a bigger laptop. If you want to have it with you all the time, everywhere you go, a smaller one might be more practical.
    4. Will you move your laptop around a lot? Some models (usually Pro versions) are sturdier than others.

Other important things:

1. Try the keyboard, make sure you like it.
    2. Once you decide on a few models, check on the internet what people have to say about them.
    3. Buy your laptop from a trustworthy source and observe how the shop assistants handle the laptops. If they treat them roughly, buy your laptop somewhere else.
    4. Some shops offer extended warranty.

I've had my HP for a few years now. The battery was completely shot after one year, so I had to replace it. I've had no other problems, the laptop's ok.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Brudof and lively girl gave pretty good answers. Newegg.com is definitely a good place to start for pricing and the reviews. I have been a loyal newegg customer for about ten years now.
    The tips lively girl provided are good points to consider.
    Personally I have used Dell laptops and have built all my desktop systems myself. So far no issues with Dell.

6. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I would advise against buying a Dell. I bought a Dell Inspiron about a year back and it's been a lemon from nearly the start. The most recent problem has been the wireless card--doesn't work most the time.

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

There Is No Best, If One Was Best, Nobody Would Buy The Rest...:)

Cheers Glen.

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

+ 1 for Asus. I think they have a good bang-for-buck ratio. Make sure you get at least a Core i3 processor.

BUT ..... we don't know what you need the computer for. If you just want to surf HF almost anything will do.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

There are always lemons no matter the manufacturer.

I guess I should clarify my reasoning.
    Having worked as a PC tech off and on for almost 20 years, as well my one of my closest friends has his own business as a network engineer for 25+ years, my hardware choices are based on 40+ years of cumulative experience and literally thousands of computers. Dealing with large companies as he does, we have seen a ton of Dell, HP and Sony systems. Dell outshines the other two by a great margin.

But there are other brands out there that can be just as solid, Lenovo, Asus, and a few others.
    Based on my experience, I would avoid HP, (they pulled lots of resources from there computer division a few years ago and it shows)
    and make damn sure you get a good warranty if buying an off brand.

10. Lekkerding

Lekkerding Guest

If you want it stirdy then go with something like Dell. Not great in design but they survive time and distance and up a certain extend can even handle rabbits, kids, coffee, gravity and some acts of god.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

I went thru 4 laptops in one month.. fucking china crap!!

12. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I've asked around a bit and the info I got form those who bought HP last year is: never again.

Apparently I was lucky.

13. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

What was wrong with them?

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

software, hardware issues, didnt like the.

one dell I got from walmart. it was nice and smooth.. headphone jack didnt work. another one I got was set up for another user. wouldnt go back to factory.

finally got one with insurance and I dont think Ill need the insurance. since it runs great.. samsung.

15. matone

matone Guest

Thanks for the advice...I have been researching..can't pull the trigger yet.A lappy is like buying a used car.

16. leeds85

leeds85 Member

17. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Look for a good processor - intel based are nice. i5s would be in your range. anything else (HDD, RAM, video) can be upgraded later, but processors pretty much determine how your machine will age.

Asus is pretty good in the game right now, Toshiba has been pretty consistent in quality.

18. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

Yeah, I have a Toshiba that's been running for a few years. The only thing that bothers me is that the plastic heat vent came apart (from the heat). My brother is a total fan of Toshiba laptops. He wont buy anything else.

19. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I have a Toshiba here that I had to reflow the GPU. I also have a Dell and an HP. The HP is showing signs of GPU failure, occasional no video/reboot but I set the fan to max and it's been good. Really everything from ACER to Apple have had issues with GPU solder balls cracking from heat.

Whatever you get you need to make sure it has good airflow and monitor the Temps, especially the GPU. Use a program like SpeedFan and set the fans to run full if you can. Over 70C is a definite killer. If you're good with hardware and out of warranty get the fan hard wired full speed. Also Windows 7 control panel advance power management will let you set CPU/GPU load limits. I put my reflowed Toshiba to 50% to be safe. You probably won't notice the difference unless you're hardcore gaming and it will run much cooler.

20. markdavis0011

markdavis0011 Guest

I can suggest a brand and it is ASUS. Reliable and good in performance!!!