What is speed Methylphenidate? or Amphetamine?

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by Tparkboy, May 26, 2008.

1. Tparkboy

Tparkboy Member

Ok so a bunch of different people are telling me speed is methylphenidate, but then people start saying speed is Amphetamine. So I don't know weather to get Ritalin or Adderall for my speed high. Looking it up on the internet, it says Amphetamine is speed. Not methylphenidate

2. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

Methylphenidate is speed. Amphetamine is speed. The effects are very similar between the two of them.

3. rollontheground

rollontheground Member

technically speed is methamphetmanie or amphetamine...but methylphedidate is such a similar high it should be considered "speed" as well

4. st. stephen

st. stephen Senior Member

i consider any uppers speed so in my books both would b. the effects are similar, but not exactly alike, but they accomplish the same thing imo

5. Geneity

Geneity self-proclaimed advocate

Speed generally refers to methamphetamine and amphetamine. Methylphenidate's high isn't nearly as enjoyable as amphetamine. It's a derivative. I don't consider it speed.

6. moomooman

moomooman Member

methylphenidate's high is way better than amphetamines high. methylphenidate was my speed choice. i dont think its a deriative of any amphetamine, more like a cousin in the same chemical family.

7. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

As a slang term, from the people I've known and met, "speed" would be refering to methamphetamine.

8. TopNotchStoner

I'm sure it is totally dependant on location, as to what people are referring to when they say "speed" and what the word emcompasses.

9. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Generally, if you use the term 'speed', you're referring to Meth. Of course all uppers can be considered speed. Both are true.

10. clonadderall

clonadderall Guest

As salmon4me stated, oficially, speed is reffered to methylamphetamine-methamphetamine-meth-tina, etc. Amphetamine(Adderall) has a very similar pharmacology to methamphetamine, whereas methyphenidate(Ritalin)'s pharmacology is very similar to that of cocaine. Plus, as many ppl as I know who've tried both, prefer amphetamine. Rit is just toooooo old....

11. framesh1ft

framesh1ft Member

it is just wrong to call anything other than distance over time speed, but i still do from time to time. I even had a pharm. prof call methylphenidate an amphetamine, the horror.

12. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Amphetamine sulphate is the street drug known as speed round here. Ritalin's a poor excuse of a recreational drug IMO and should be used respectfully as medicine only.

13. rollontheground

rollontheground Member

i dont really notice the effects of adderal, like if someone slipped it in my drink i probably couldnt tell i had been druged, but when i snort 40mg of ritalin or more i deff feel like im on something...

14. moomooman

moomooman Member

same for me. if somebody put adderal in my drink, i probably wouldnt feel anything. but if they put ritalin in it, id definately be able to tell. i remember the first time i tried meth it didnt even live up to ritalin in my opinion, and i had to do more than my friend who does it regularly to start to feel the effects. as far as speed goes for me, my favorite is 4-methylaminorex, then methylphenidate, then meth, and lastly the amphetamine salts in adderal. i'll give adderal a best taste award though, the blue instant release ones, not the capsules with the balls.
    edit: anyone else here try the 4-methylaminorex? aka ice, its not meth, but sometimes its sold as meth, and you can tell the difference because the shards are different and the effects are different.

15. The Mushroom Man

The Mushroom Man Member

Dudes, ok, here is the deal:
    Methamphetamine = Speed
    Amphetamine (no meth) = Adderall
    Methylphenidate = Ritalin

Ritalin is not technically an amphetamine, it is related, but not technically an amphetamine. A lot of people report it as being more "dull" than amphetamine. The meth group in methamphetamine aids in its absorption by the body, thus causing it to be more effective (a meth group makes it more fat soluble).

The Mushroom Man

16. NorCaliGreenFiend

NorCaliGreenFiend Senior Member

Really? that doesnt make sense at all.

17. TopNotchStoner

They all stimulate the CNS in similar ways, so I consider them all to be "speed". It's all subjective though and it doesn't really matter anyway. The definition of "speed" is gonna vary from place to place and person to person.

18. The Mushroom Man

The Mushroom Man Member

Oh yeah, definitely. It will also depend on who you are asking. If you are in some back alley in a city and ask for speed, they will probably give you meth. If you are at a private school and ask for speed, you will most likely get adderall or ritalin. Just be smart about it.

The Mushroom Man

19. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Obviously your grasp on the pharmacology of stimulants is rather limited.

20. NorCaliGreenFiend

NorCaliGreenFiend Senior Member

Youre right, I dont really get effects from stimulants, and as a result I dont research them much. But, he said ritalin is like cocaine, and from what I understand its quite different. Ritalin is an amphetamine derivative, correct? Ive heard it described as a boring version of amphetamine on these forums, so I assumed they were quite similar. cocaine is tropane, and an SSRI. Ritalin is not. Even the behavior of addicts is fundamentally different (although Ive never met a Ritalin addict). the high lasts much longer than cocaine, correct? Im sure youre right, but it just doesnt make sense to me.