what is REAL?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by flowerofpeace, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

thedope:
    Yes, even that. The extent to which I am my own will doesn't have me hold by a division in matter and consciousness, of which there is no such thing save in supposition.

I'm fairly sure the most I'm qualified for in that regard is allowing the desire and feeling of rising above it.

All too true. But it doesn't explain the phantom limb phenomenon, does it?! :-D

Not without others like it. I don't think any of us ever find our equal in anything short of intent, which is the best hope we could ever have for all action! :-D

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Is a rock conscious?

I don't know, need it? Habit is enough to account. Part of our perceived integrity is the mental image we have of ourselves.
    Well you asked me why confusion cannot be overcome. We share mind, but my individual consciousness is a kingdom I alone rule. That is, I cannot escape the effects of my own thinking.

3. Dejavu

No, but how is it that you come to ask? :-D

No it need not, and I do think habit is enough to account for it.

Unless you wanted to escape your own effects, I cannot see how your self-rule is anything less than the overcoming of confusion.

4. thedope

The premise portrays a separation between physical and conscious.

We can change our habits.

It is a matter of semantics in the sense of the study of meaning. Words are symbols of conditions, and condition in turn, is very much as you describe.
    Abstract accounts are generated by the mind, a law without opposite. Thoughts do not cancel each other out. Thoughts are cultivated or not.

So for the sake of consistency of meaning. Nothing real can be caused not to exist. We cannot overcome the world but we can find agreement in it.

5. Dejavu

Which is why the 'problem' of self and other need only be a philosophical one.

Exactly.

:-D Yes.

For the sake of consistency, existence is changeable.

I wholeheartedly agree.

6. storch

storch banned

There is book titled "Stalking the Wild Pendulum." I didn't read the whole thing because I was young and didn't have the patience. But I remember something from that book that really impressed me. It was an experiment that goes as follows: Put a clock--not digital--in front of you on a table. Also, the clock needs to have a second-hand. Now, sitting at the table with the clock right in front of you, rest your chin in your hands with your elbows resting on the table. Try to relax every muscle in your body with your eyes on the moving second-hand of the clock.

Next, begin imagining that you are at the beach. Create in your mind the feel of the Sun, the smell of the ocean air, hear the seagulls and the sound of children laughing and playing, and the sound of the waves slapping up against the shore. Imagine these things all at once as best you can. Then, as casually and as disinterestedly as possible, look at the clock. If you are successful, you will notice that the second hand will have slowed down considerably or even completely stopped for a time (for a time. Ha).

If you are not successful, then at least this experiment will go a long way toward explaining the reasons for other failures in your life. Perhaps you lack discipline. Or perhaps you unthinkingly went and imagined some kid's beach ball or frisbee hitting you in the head, which would greatly interfere with the aim of the experiment. Sorry, just kidding. Couldn't help myself. :)

But anyway, what does this go to show about consciousness or what is real? Any thoughts?

7. DMFP

DMFP Member

Allegedly, reality is an illusion created by lack of alcohol.

8. storch

storch banned

True enough. One should never underestimate the benefits of getting well-grounded.

9. thedope

For the sake of stability, existence is expressed diversely.

10. thedope

For one, there were many elements called upon in a short time. Time dilatation occurs as we approach the speed of light.

Mystery of mysteries, the sun neither heats nor lights. Consciousness precedes perception.

Let there be light by which the day and the night may be perceived.

11. storch

storch banned

Thank you!

Someone once told me that time doesn't exist; that all has already occurred, and that my mind or consciousness is slowing things down for the purpose of . . . I don't know. But I guess time is a tool we use. This is beyond me.

Another one told me that in the moment of something's apparent opposite came the other; that is, in the moment of imbalance came also the balance, which also seemed to point to the absence of time as we understand it. And I'm left a bit frustrated that words really fail to explain anything totally. Even these words I am speaking feel like nothing more than grunts and groans--perhaps more refined, but what can be said of advanced grunts and groans?

I was inclined to consider that the whole of perceived reality is like a bubble at he bottom of a body of water that has no choice but to surface. And when it reaches the surface and pops, I can't decide whether the water is the reality or the air is the reality; I guess both.

Ok, I'm rambling, but it doesn't feel bad, and I guess it's not a crime. Tell me it's not a crime. :)

12. storch

storch banned

Come on, man! As a fellow exister, the least you could do is tell me it's not a crime. I would do the same for you. :)

13. Dejavu

Rambling, like skateboarding, is not a crime. :-D

14. storch

storch banned

But what about reckless skateboarding? Surely there must be a law . . .

15. Dejavu

It's a bit hit and miss. Try and avoid crashing into the elderly I guess. :-D

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Anything can be real if you /believe/ it.

17. thedope

Of course it may be real if you don't.

18. tcore108

tcore108 Member

hit a bowl and then tell me what is real.

19. thedope

It broke.

20. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqg5bPZ0HE"]Sacred Geometry 101E: Metatron's Cube - YouTube