what is REAL?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by flowerofpeace, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

thedope:
    The kind of animation yes, but the mind, while animating, is not animation itself despite it being so to all purposes we may conceive. The realization that we have always been here requires a progression through the reality that we have not!

Form.

Yes, but are they human in themselves? :-D

The body does generate life in the same sense that the universe does. And the physical is necessary for mind. Does it matter if the thought comes first or not since we know that it comes at any rate? :-D

The yes to continuity "ensures" its perpetuity. :-D

It can't be otherwise. The sense in which a principle may exist in itself, be a law without opposite, be allowed and more than 'allowed' its inherency, is by all else.

:)

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

You mean a new idea? We are an agglomerate. We grow both time and space.

Content. The content of alive and not alive is the same even though the form of animation may be sensational.

If we are doing a taxonomy, then we look for similar characteristics. What I am saying is that there is motive in all things, whether categorized as living or non, that intent is the psyche's notation of gravity.

Physical is necessary platform for communion of mind, the body, a communication device.

The rate in which it matters is, do you live in a world which controls you, or which you control.

3. Dejavu

New ideas are funny things. That's the extent of my knowledge regarding them. lol

Is form not content? I've been meaning to ask you - Is peace harmony?

So the only 'motive' all things share is eachother? That might just be made to work in our favour! ;D

Even if we love the world? The thought comes. What is it supposed to come before? Everything?! ;D

4. thedope

Interesting coincidence the universe is speeding up as our apprehension grows exponentially.
    Form is not content and form and content can become confused, one for the other.

We hear the expression, we can't judge a book by it's cover. At one time, the perception of differences in appearance, race, made common humanity seem obscure.

Most fundamentally, form is defined by negative space.

Practically we exist for and with each other.

The thought, impulse, intent, that we are all made of is love. Everything else is respiration.

5. Dejavu

I wonder where it will go when it has eloped altogether. :)

How not?

But content is fundamentally self-defining?
    It doesn't add up unless form is content, fundamentally.

About peace and harmony, I find them synonymous.

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So What is real???
    If I think of an example of what is real, I may think of a rock. A rock has substance, it can be seen, felt, heard when struck, tasted, and may even have an odor. All knowledge of the rock comes to us through the senses, as John Locke proposed. But, George Berkeley reasoned, if all knowledge of the rock depends on the senses, the rock itself is never really encountered and it is never really known. All that you can experience in relation to the rock are its qualities; never the rock itself, and the only qualities that you can know are the ones available to you through your limited senses. “To be is to be perceived,” Berkeley said. His friend Dr. Johnson, disputed this claim and thought the rock had an existence on its own merit, independently of the senses, and offered proof of its independent existence by kicking it as hard as he could, “thus!” The reality of the resulting pain surely could not be denied! The rock was “real”.
    But he had not fully understood Berkeley’s reasoning. For the pain that resulted was due to the hardness of the rock in relation to the softness of the foot. The rock is hard only because the foot is soft. If the foot were harder than the rock, no pain would have occurred. The rock is not hard in relation to a diamond. The physical properties of the foot, as part of the body, determine the physical properties of the rock, and likewise, the physical senses themselves are reliant upon the physical properties of the body. Taking it further, all matter is related to the senses and can only be known through the senses, which themselves, are made of matter.
    So what is it that uses matter to encounter matter? It must be something that exists outside of matter, something “above” or “beyond” the scope of matter itself, as the eye cannot see itself, or the tooth bite itself. This something we call mind. Mind exists outside the realm of matter and in fact determines the nature of matter by using matter to define the limits of the matter it encounters. As mind determines the nature of matter, if mind is removed, matter will cease to exist. And we reach the realm of the Mahayana Buddhist notion of “mind only.”

7. thedope

There are some trends.

As it is, the storms in the atmosphere reflect the storms in our consciousness just as the storms in our consciousness reflect the storms in the atmosphere.

As new studies emerge the older everything gets and as everything gets older, we learn more about it.

You are not your body and the I am you call yourself is the same I am I call myself. Even though bodies appear separate and distinct, we share one mind, we share one world.

In a very plain example or the propensity to confuse form with contenet, the word symbols we use to tell the truth appear identical to the word symbols we use to tell a lie.

Self can only be known by self, otherwise it is called other. The perception of "other", is a type of self denial called, "not me".

You are correct, but on the basis of the calculus not me , man gives himself permission to be inhumane. Once he looses sight of humanity, he ceases to display any.

It is for this that I have no heart to tease them apart.

8. thedope

It is for this practical reason that I say the thought comes first. I don't mean a distinct individual articulated thought but the mind's overwhelming intent or sponsoring thought.

9. Dejavu

thedope:
    Well I'm not me without it either! lol Naturally we share self with ourselves, but not without the body!

In the sense you are using the words form and content ( and I do not dispute for a moment the practical uses for the distinction ), that example is only one of the confusion of content, not form, via the lie.

Yes.

Yes, but self and other are really only a philosophical problem. That form and content can be the same in no way rules out the self.

But could you? I cannot see how peace is anything other than harmony.

Meagain:

Better than reaching the buddhist notion of "no mind" :)

But we do need our bodies! No matter where the thought comes into it (or presides over it)!

10. Rosehippy

Rosehippy Banned

Seeing as we use very little of our brains potential, and as history will dictate, man left to run his race usually ends up in "ruins" literally...then man in all his idiotic arrogance should reside in the "we are clueless to the ultimate reality, as we don't understand our own heads, far less the greater meaning to it all" catagory. Rather than spend billions of dollars on trying to work stuff out or "progress" Man KIND should practice some kindness, feed the hungry with all those billions, realize his limits and stop screwing this place up. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Imagine a world with that as the code by which we live.
    This reality is the projection of greedy loveless assholes running the show into the ground. That's the reality. Anything spiritual and liberating generally is covered up by the money grabbers and global manipulators.

11. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

yup thats why I dislike seeing people placing the blame on ourselves. we are being lied to and manipulated... thousands of times daily

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Rosehippy,
    Yeah, well we went through that...Remember John Lennon and his Imagine...I guess we made some progress, but it's going to be a long while.
    Dejavu,
    You again?:)
    Actually no mind is just another way of expressing mind only. No mind is seeing that the experiences of the senses occur without the interdiction of thought, sort of. Buddhism is full of contradictions, riddles, thought exercises, mind games, etc.
    Exactly, once you have experienced the realization of the one, you must return to your individual self and deal with the world as it manifests, or cease to exist on this plane.

13. storch

storch banned

Rosehippy,

You sound so positive. Music to the ear!

The way out, or the way in, begins with a positive, mindful outlook which is based on the knowledge that we create our own reality through our expectations. Expectations are the source of both our woes and joys. Do not expect that it will be a long while, for that is the beginning of woe. Like everything else in the universe, doubt can create nothing but more of itself. It's not going to be a long while! It will be!

We're all contagious; we just forget that sometimes . . .

14. thedope

I wonder if you loose a limb are you less you?

Well, if we had believed a lie based on the form, then we had confused form, with content.

In eternity it may be a philosophical problem. In time the problem is tragic. The confusion of form and content in this case does not rule out the self, but makes the self seem obscure, unrecognizable. We have a natural proclivity toward self preservation.

In the sense that the word harmony has specifically, music/vibrational definitions, yes I could.

15. thedope

When you say the body, do you mean individual body, or simply the condition of embodiment?

Obviously minds may join discretely from the body.

Something occurs to me about the body in this instance, it need be only a speck of material like the nucleus of a raindrop.

16. thedope

Or not.

We dream a dream seeing ourselves figures in a dream, forgetting we are the dreamer. We may awaken and manifest at will, although you would not be able to distinguish whether that had occurred by looking at someone or observing their circumstances.

17. Dejavu

thedope:
    No you don't! lol

I was waiting for that. :) I still say we would have confused only the 'content', as the 'form' was a deception presented to our belief.

Point taken, but between you and I, and any 'others' also, are we really going to allow the tragedy of confusion to hold sway over its realization and overcoming? :-D

:-D

I mean embodiment, which happens to incorporate the individual.
    I love that something really matters beyond something being the matter.
    The mind doesn't only get to enjoy its measure, but its time too! :-D

Meagain:
    We do sort of have the same name, don't we. :D
    Buddhism is funny like that. :)

18. thedope

Yeah, shouldn't let my crocodile mouth get in the way of my candy ass.
    If you loose a limb, are you less you, or is there less of you remaining?

Instead of confuse form with content, confuse form and content.

I don't think confusion holds sway or contains anything, nor can it be overcome as our minds are inviolate, but we can gain clarity. It is said that the truth sets us free.

Make the individual a legally separate individual?

19. Dejavu

thedope:
    lol There would definitely be less. My limbs are a part of me, not apart of me.

?

Confusion in its duration contains in part that being confused. I don't understand how it cannot be overcome.

lol What I really mean is there is no self without selves.

20. thedope

Less material by weight, but less of that which is essentially you?

If you will not allow confusion with each other how about just confusion?

We can see things that are not there nor not see things that are there because we had been unclear about a representation.
    Your mind is indomnable.