what is REAL?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by flowerofpeace, Jan 22, 2012.

1. flowerofpeace

flowerofpeace Member

I'VE recently been having many thoughts about what is truly real, and what we believe to reality. I may not be able to explain myself properly, but i'll try...

we are all different. we all think differently. the way we view the world is unique; no two people see something the same. the "something" i talk about could be anything...colors, objects, humans...ANYTHING. so if we all perceive things differently...doesn't that mean that the "thing" we see isn't real? its differen't to everyone...

i guess what i'm trying to figure out is...what is reality? are we all living in fantasy worlds?

i know i still need to put a lot of thought into this, maybe meditate on it, and i may not be able to find a true answer...but i'm just curious to read the thoughts of others on this subject...

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Nothing is real......

3. Cleansedreality

Cleansedreality Member

You can only be aware of so much in one lifetime. Your experiences define how you perceive the world and divine. It is the collective consciousness of all things; all of awareness that is the reality. We're all here now living in the material world experiencing what we're supposed to be. Your reality is what you perceive it to be, and the reality of the Universe is constant: change.

4. raincoast

raincoast Member

in the end I've come to the conclusion that reality is only what one percieves to be real. Its not a concrete thing, but ones particular viewpoint.
    You aint alone, this is something i've thought about a lot.

5. flowerofpeace

flowerofpeace Member

i thought so...

6. primalflow

primalflow Member

''Until the 20th century, reality was everthing humans could touch, see, smell, and hear. With the initial publication of the chart of the electromagnetic spectrum, humans learned that everything they can touch, see, smell, and hear is less than 1,000,000th of reality.''-quote from New Skin, by Incubus

7. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

And nothing to get hung about! (sorry, you're quoting my namesake song there :p)

I think what you're talking about is objective vs subjective reality. Objective is all the material stuff that exists outside of ourselves, including other people (since we can't get inside another person's mind and see exactly as they do). It's all the stuff that continues on when you go to sleep or die. Subjective reality varies wildly, although for most people it is based on the objective (assuming you're sober, of course :)

8. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

We are real but we are nothing. Everything you see and feel is a illusion of you subconscious. Instead of being individuals we are a one. We are god, existence is god.

~PsychonautMIA

If you believe you suffer, you are wrong. You have a gift, and it's to acknowledge Nonduality. http://endless-satsang.com/advaita-nonduality-oneness.htm

9. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

Everything I tell you

10. learn2see

learn2see Member

reality is all perception

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

trees, trains, computers and little furry creatures with big sharp teeth are real. so is the earth beneath your feet, that tolerates your tread, though even it may grow weary.
    diversity being the nature of reality, and a very very big universe are real too. a universe so big that our earth, that is unimaginably big itself, to one human on foot, is no more then the smallest micro-scopic dust particle lost within it.

these things are real. hierarches are imaginary things we've made up ourselves for our own dubious reasons.

unseen things may very well exist, because nothing has to be known or even imagined in order to exist, but were very powerful ones to wish us any harm, it is unlikely we would be here.

ask what is not real. it is the illusions we teach our children, ourselves and each other to beleive in, again for short sighted reasons of faith in immediate and material so called gain.

12. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

dog shit on your shoe is very real

13. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Non local nor remote. Nothing unreal exists.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

collective human ego creates the illusion that it does however. especially through the vehicle of language. that is why truth is more readily observable without the distraction of enculturating commentary, otherwise known as propiganda.

15. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I am utterly distrustful of the cult. To use an analogy, an oyster producing a cultured pearl deals with artificially introduced irritants.

The cult exists on the lesson of taboo and hero worship and by it's nature cannot regard the world without prejudice. Whereas taxonomy is based on similarity, ego is based on differences.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

so to summarize, what is real, is everything that does not depend upon being spoken.

17. wisp

wisp Member

I reject your version of reality and sustitute it with my own .:D
    Anyway we are living in the matrix , do you think thats air you are breathing ? ;)

18. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Whatever you want to be real.

There is more than one truth.

19. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

Well, the way I look at it is there is an objective reality of some kind. However, our brains filter that reality out to make existence, as we know it, possible. The Human condition isn't so much a false reality as a heavily filtered and censored one. Many rely on ideologies to make the world around them simpler and easier to process. A political, religious, or racial set of preconceived notions and stereotypes gives us a way to think less about basic, human interactions and to focus on other areas of our lives, like making money and accumulating material goods. However, the simplistic constructs such perceptual short hand provides is, of coursed, very dumbed down. I think humanities only hope is to view reality with less blinders and filters and to use less short hand in areas concerning politics, religion, and, ultimately, our day to day interactions with one another.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if we are awarenesses living only in some great computer and only given sythetically the illusion that we are in physical bodies and breathing air, does that really change that what is real is everything that does not depend upon being spoken?

does/would that, make our thoughtlessness and aggressiveness any less the real force of harm and destruction?