What is makes a person evil?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Libbygrable87, Mar 23, 2019.

?

So what is evil

1. Evil is when good people see evil done but do nothing

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Greed is evil

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Murder is evil

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Abuse of any kind is evil

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. War is evil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Evil is not real

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. I have no clue

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

this sounds really interesting and I think I will give it a watch. Do you know if the series is available on YouTube?

Consider that a hypothetical question because i'll probably check before you answer :sweatsmile:

I'm not sure if I recall you mentioning this documentary specifically but I do remember you explaining your thoughts on "evil" and whether or not evil really exists when a similar topic of conversation came up before, and I think I tend to agree that there is no such thing as evil. The term evil implies there's some sort of supernatural force at work when one commits an evil act, but I think we're all mostly led around by our own biology

2. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

My husband is an alcoholic and when he drinks he becomes evil. He attacks people. Does alcohol alone make a person evil? No not at all but when it gets bad and you start hurting people you love and attack people yes. I had to leave my husband because he would break stuff and scare me.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My wife is also evil when she drinks. She makes all these plans that sound good in theory, when you're drinking, but then the next day you're like wtf was you thinking.

Orison likes this.
  4. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I can understand that.

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Working at Vocational Rehabilitation was truly a learning experience. The most evil people I have personally come into contact with are sociopaths, or some people now call them psychopaths. To me, if you ever truly meet one of these people - completely absent of a conscience...you will know there is such a thing as evil.

They will do anything to anybody and have no remorse. The ONLY time they feel, or rather APPEAR to show guilt is when they know they should feel guilty or remorse...

Probably some of you will say this is because of a brain abnormality...I think it is lack of a conscience. I've never really felt one's conscience resides in one's braIn, but in one's heart. Maybe a conscience is just something that people like me make up. idk

I don't have the slightest idea what makes a person evil...but I do think living outside all of the parameters of love (and how to treat others) as described by Jesus is a really good way to identify someone that is subject to be evil.

6. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

You mean a Sociopath. I have heard from people that they are born that way. I have family members that might be sociopaths or so I am told. I have a hard time believing it because this person I love so much and its hard admitting that she maybe one. My Grandpa is one for sure. My first ex-boyfriend was a sociopath. I am not but I have PTSD because of this. I wrote that I forgiving them and still love them. They are my family.

7. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Some who call themselves Christian would define the state of humanity as such, however, Jesus saw no man as evil, insofar as I can tell, he instead saw them as slaves. Slaves to their desires, slaves to pleasure, to gratification if you will. He saw this state of humanity & it pained him so much that he offered a way out. If such a view was good enough for him it's good enough for me.

Apologies I'll get off my soapbox

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Incase you haven't checked, my answer is... I'm not sure.

Actually.. It looks like there are 4 out of the 6 episodes
    BBC "The Brain: with David Eagleman" Series - YouTube

guerillabedlam likes this.
  9. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Evil is a vague word, I think but when I think of someone being ''evil,'' I tend to think that there's no hope for them. Like they are past a point of wanting help, and know right from wrong, but simply don't care.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I have worked with quite a few members of the Muslim community over the years and they all accept that Allah is simply an earthly difference in the way that we worship a single god.
    Needless to say, they were decent everyday people who had a dislike of extremists for the way that a small number of people have hijacked their religion and beliefs for nothing more than earthly gain.

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Do you agree that the vast majority of evil stems from some form of jealousy or greed.
    t can become very complex, but I see that as the root causes when you stand back and analyze the full situation..

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Other peoples perception is what makes a person seem evil. In reality they're disturbed, psychopathic, plain stupid, etc.

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I disagree, at least in comparison to other moral descriptors.

"Bad" is used so loosely that some use it in the opposite context of it's general meaning.

"Great" has a similar kind of specificity as Evil but for some reason, people sometimes use it in a more sarcastic and less authentic way as well.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

@Meliai that was a very good talk, BTW, just had a chance to watch it. I've said, since the Eagleman documentary.. EVERY time there is a school shooting, or any kind of mass shooting, the brain of the perpetrator needs to be studied.

Meliai likes this.
  15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm currently watching Episode 2, the first that's available to me.

16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's a shame the last one is missing because that's where he brings it altogether to make his point about the legal system.

He is who convinced me prison should be abolished. We need to keep some people out of society(for varying amounts of time) for everyone's sake, but it shouldn't be seen as punishment, it needs to be about the goal of rehabilitation where possible. The prison system is just wasting money and people.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've seen/read Sam Harris discuss that in regards to the consequences of his view that free will is an illusion.

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I finished Episode 2, Very Good!

There was quite the serendipitous moment just after the 31 minute mark of that video to my post #53 when the narrator is discussing the dinner party.

19. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Glad you like it! I knew if I kept mentioning it I could get someone to watch it eventually.

20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I agree, but I think that as human beings we need these categories such as good/evil to help us navigate our complex existence. Even if we say it's not people who are intrinsically evil, still some actions would seem to deserve the label.

Lynnbrown likes this.