What is Hot Yoga?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by rockys, Oct 7, 2013.

1. rockys

rockys Member

Hot yoga is a vigorous form of yoga performed in a studio that is heated to 105 F (40 C) and has a humidity of 40 percent. The formal name for hot yoga is Bikram.

Bikram yoga is a 90-minute program that consists of a series of 26 postures. The postures require lengthy, forceful and well-controlled contractions of all major muscle groups. The demanding nature of the poses and the heat are designed to raise your heart rate and tire your muscles.

Because of its intensity and potential to cause heat-related illness, hot yoga isn’t for everyone. Be sure you check with your doctor before trying hot yoga if you have any health concerns.

If you have heart disease, problems with dehydration or heat intolerance, or have had heat-related illness (such as heatstroke) in the past, it is probably best to skip hot yoga. Pregnant women should also pass on this type of yoga.

If you have no health concerns and you want to try a hot yoga class, be sure to drink plenty of water, and stop if you feel dizzy, lightheaded or sick in any way.

2. monkeywisdom

monkeywisdom Member

There's a new hot yoga studio in my town. It's not Bikram, though. They have all kinds of teachers and styles, and it's all in a hot room.

3. lsamson

lsamson Guest

Wow!

That sounds really interesting and quite difficult. I may have to try this sometime, thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

4. aemojohn258

aemojohn258 Guest

yoga is the best way to keep you healthy and thanks for shared this with us.