What is forever?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Jennyflower, May 14, 2004.

1. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

Can the sky really go on forever? or will you hit a brick wall or something? aaaaaaaaaah my brain just fell out thinking about it. ewwww. brain juice. jennyflower xxxx

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Forever is a word.
    Only a word.

Love, bird.

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

forever is eternity.. forever is infinite.. forever has no end.

4. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Forever is something Both you and I will never comprehend..so forget about it!

5. cousinit

cousinit Member

this is no forever, not even for the earth or sun. in 4 billion years or so the sun will burn off all its hydrogren, then turn to fusing helium. It will then expand into red giant over a few million years, completely consuming Mercury Venus, and Earth
    The earths oceans will boil off, and its atmophaer will be ripped away, Nothing will survive. The earth will be scorched lifeless desert on it way to be consumed by the million degree flamess of the sun

in another billion year when depleted of feul. the will sun will colaps into a small white dwarf. Now smaller than the earth it will start its long cooling down prosses.

ashes to ashes

6. Aditi

Aditi Member

How much does a man live, after all?
    Does he live a thousand days, or one only?
    For a week, or for several centuries?
    How long does a man spend dying?
    What does it mean to say "for ever"?

Pablo Neruda

7. Little One

Little One Member

[​IMG]
    this bear is forever

8. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

Forever is simply every point in time after now. Nothing difficult about it.

I believe it's possible to live forever. It's a scary thought, but the thought of dying is even scarier to me.

9. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

Dizzyman it's easy to give it an explanation, But Try and comprehend Infinity?..i dunno about you..but i cant!.

10. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

I can't actually comprehend infinity, as in imagining it in my head. That would be impossible, by definition.

But the concept is fairly simple to grasp. If I live forever, then I simply won't die.

11. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

a circle can represent 'forever'

12. ben

ben Member

if space is truly infinite then there are infinite possibilities. meaning that everything and anything can, has and will happen somewhere "out there".

...go marinade on that ;)

13. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

or mabe it will happen in there!;)

14. Indriel

Indriel Member

Nothing is forever. Nothing is permanent - change can come at any moment.
    "Live not as though there were a thousand years ahead of you; fate is at your elbow....."

15. Scholar_Warrior

Scholar_Warrior Be Love Now

pay attention:

forever is now. now is forever.

16. Iacchus

Iacchus Member

Ah, but the moment simply is. :)

17. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

i beleive that an example of 4eva is wen u die. i think u will hav foreva life. no end

18. wiggly

wiggly Member

My impression was the question deals with infinity of space, rather than time.

It's something I've often pondered whilst drunk, bored or in love.

The question 'do you eventually hit a brick wall?' can be answered with 'but what is behind any such wall?'

I don't think the human brain is actually capable of grasping the enormity of the concept. Trite responses such as 'now is forever' are meaningless.

One thing we do know, even if we could double the human life-span and could travel a million times the speed of light, we'd die of old age before we could reach the end of what space we DO know of, what's beyond that is beyond comprehension.

Everything we know of the entire universe of universes could turn out to be merely the inside of one tiny atom forming part of a speck of dirt in some other universe we could never hope to see.

One thing is pretty certain, in our lifetimes we'll never know.

W.
    (my 1st post) <- apart from my intro post :)

19. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I disagree. The sky isn't infinite, howveer it has no end. Because of its spherical shape, we cannot say a definite begining or end.

"Forever" is the term to describe something already exist and has no determinable end.

20. Dizzy Man

Dizzy Man Member

There's not going to be a wall around space. Why would there be? Space just goes on forever, like time. There is no beginning or end.

Although I don't believe that everything that can happen will happen in another place or time. I don't think there is necessarily an infinite amount of matter or activity in the universe, just infinite space and time with which for it to exist in.