What is a true statement?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by neonspectraltoast, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Astray

Astray Visitor

Can you critically evaluate intuition, insight, discernment?
    Can you discern your own truth that motivated your above response?

2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No. I personally use intuition, insight and discernment, along with experience, evidence and reason, in making decisions. And I think all of them can be faulty. That's why I'm skeptical of grandiose declarations about absolute knowledge of ultimate reality. But hey, you might be right. Who could argue?

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Good for him.
    What word?

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

6. A thing is itself...?

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Socrates never actually said, "The only thing I know is that I know nothing", but after his death peasants throughout Europe celebrated the anniversary of his death by drinking toasts to him in bars and inventing new jokes. The legend of Socrates is actually larger than the man himself, who was quite short in real life. He believed nobody could know the whole truth, and that is our ultimate truth, that we are fallible and mortal, yet, somehow divine as well. We are all both flaming geniuses and drooling idiots, and the older I become the more I simply accept that as a fact. Ego empowers us to be surprised, and the question is not whether ego is good or bad, but can you actually use it as merely a tool and how wisely do you use your tools?

Ged and Okiefreak like this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If there are universal truths (and I suspect that there are at least a few), then I don't know that human beings know them, or are even capable of understanding them. Although that does not mean that we should not try.

9. wooleeheron

When you can no longer identify that you have identified nothing, you have discovered a universal truth, the self-evident truth that speaks louder than words.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. Astray

Astray Visitor

There are many universal truths about human nature. But they all can be wittled down to two ways a human being reacts. They are either conditionally-fearful or unconditionally-loving. There is no in between.

11. Astray

Astray Visitor

That is the point. Those that need to argue are doubtful. Truth is doubtless. Those that experience truth are doubtless and fearless about it. They are liberated by its truth, for truth is unchanging, reliable, unquestionable, and cannot be argued with. It is complete and does not need anything. It is unconditional. And its expression is unconditional love.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What is "truth" in the sense you're calling it? Because if it's anything that has to do with politics, news etc. you might be wrong.

13. wooleeheron

Forever Young

Love remains the ultimate authenticity!
    Love never bothers with distinctions!
    Love stinks, when you never share!
    Love is quite often indiscriminate!
    Love, reaches into lowly depths!
    Love commands great heights!
    Love yet knows no boundary!
    Love remains forever young!
    Love is joy but joy is not love!

Love is life, but life is not love!
    Love is you but you are not love!
    Love is two, but union is not love!
    Love abides but abiding is not love!
    Love listens, but to listen is not love!
    Love is wealth, but riches are not love!
    Love is giving but generosity is not love!
    Love is freedom but being free is not love!
    Love is enduring but endurance is not love!
    Love is aware, but consciousness is not love!
    For Love remains the One Greater Exultant Truth!
    Love is what inspires us all, to live out our dreams!
    Without a real future, all our past, becomes but dust!

In bending the most, the tiniest heart bends time itself!
    Harmoniously embracing every possible past and future,
    For neither anyone's love nor their harmony act nor reason,
    While within the human heart love eternally springs, forever young.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sounds like a self-brainwashing mantra. Anyway I certainly don't have this within me, never will and won't even try. I think I try to occupy the middle ground. I try to be loving and kind but there are some in this world who don't deserve it.

If you have this capacity of universal unconditional love, could you tell me how you came by it?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  15. Astray

Astray Visitor

All politics and news are stories based on the fearful ego. Truth has no story. It is. If one looks for truth by reason, deduction and arguements, all they will get is stories _ not truth. That is why truth is difficult to grasp with knowledge, it can only be grasped with 'knowing' _ without understanding or reasoning.

"knowing' comes from being unconditional with your self. However, one's ego is based on continual validation. It's conditional.

16. wooleeheron

Without a story, the truth is dead, God is dead, and the truth goes nowhere. For One Greater Truth is that the Truth is the Greater Context, that justifies itself by lending its meaning to everything else.

17. Astray

Astray Visitor

Unconditional acceptance and gratitude of anything that goes against my ego-self.
    Gratitude comes from acceptance. If one does not feel gratitude, then there is something they are not accepting.
    These two unconditional states creates a void of self, and truth rushes in to fill that space. Truth does not need anything, that is why it does not fight for validation like our ego. All our life our ego takes centre staff (I, Self, Me) we become an ism. Onces the ego becomes still, the centre stage become vacant for truth to present itself. It is by total self surrender that we allow truth to show itself.

18. Astray

Astray Visitor

Without a story, the truth is revealed. Stories are viels over the truth. They are cover stories. People get caught up in the story and still don't see the truth.

19. wooleeheron

Either all is a lie, or the truth lends its meaning unconditionally to even lies. There are many lesser truths, or partial truths and, then, there is the one greater truth. Those partial truths which support the greater truth will thrive and endure that much longer. You can look at this relationship in reverse, and those lies which support the least truth, are the lies that are more quickly illuminated by the truth.

Assuming 42 is as good an explanation as anyone will ever get, that means life can be viewed as simultaneously a nonsensical paradox, and a metaphor, or story, that nature tells herself.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

all sounds like bs if you ask me. lol

neonspectraltoast likes this.