what happens when we die...

Discussion in 'The Future' started by crazy_gurl, Jun 7, 2004.

1. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Some people like to think they will see loved ones later in Heaven when they die, but how do they really know they will? It's not as if anyone died and then sent you a letter saying where they were. All you can prove is that you are born, you live and then you die. So just enjoy the life you have now by living a good happy life as if it's the last day ya ever get.

2. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

i think the whole concept of heaven and hell is interesting. again, i think for most people its a comfort thing. i wish i could be sure that there is or isnt a heaven. if there is, then i dont think i will be going there anyway though. i beleive to a certain extent that if someone belives something enough, it can become reality. for instance, a couple years ago, someone really close to me was killed. in the months after her death, the only person i had to talk to about it was another close friend of hers which i didnt know that well at the time(she is now my best friend) . anyways, she always told me about these dreams that she kept having. dreams about our friend in heaven that was trying to communicate with her. i keept thinking, why am i not having these dreams? i kept having these morbid, incredibly disturbing dreams, yet hers were the opposite. now i think it is because i dont and have never allowed myself to believe that there is a heaven. she beleives in heaven and all things happy, so i think that is why she had an easier time getting past the death of our friend. i am still jelous of her. but no matter how many times i have tried to make myself beleive that there is a heaven, i just cant. if there was, i dont think i would even want to go there. i mean, what happened to just resting in peace? and the thought of sitting up in heaven looking down on my friends and family suffering because of my death doesnt sound too great. i hate making the people i love sad. i would rather just be erased and no longer concious. im sure a lot of people are looking foward to the time when there will be no trace of their lives left ont his earth.

3. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

When you die, yer bodily functions cease to continue, and yer body slowly decomposes. Usually, yer body is barried. Of course, it would be alot more ecologically sound to barry people without the big wooden box. Ya know, enrich the soil.

4. agarzenry

agarzenry Member

i think that death is such an issue in society it is automatically responded to with fear and negativity. i am not scared by death but i do not want to die. i have thought a lot about death. i believe that when a person dies they go back into the earth. walt whitman in song of myself has it right. i do not believe in heaven but i do not believe in nothing. i believein nature and feel comforted by the fact that if anything happened to me nature would assure my safety. whether or not our conscious self remains is a totally different philosophical question - reincarnation or rebecoming??? The two are very different.

it is a complex question...

peace and love
    Zenry

5. waterlily5

waterlily5 Member

I am not sure I believe in an afterlife. I would like to, but there is too much uncertainty about what happens after death, for me to believe in anything. I am inclined to believe you just cease to exist, but since there is no way of knowing, it is just as likely you get reincarnated, or go to hell, or Nirvana, or something else that noone has thought of or imagined yet...

6. E-man216

E-man216 Member

your thoughts and experinces are little electrical charges in your brain, you die they cease.

7. Tamee

Tamee naked

I believe it's a little more than that. I believe everything is a little more than anything we know.

8. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Why worry about where ya go after ya die.....does it really matter? Worry more about what you are doing with your life now and how you effect others and the impact that you have on this planet. That would be something real & a good way to live. Why do some people worry more about where they came from & where they are going, instead of where they are right now?

9. FreakyJoeMan

FreakyJoeMan 100% Batshit Insane

"I dont think about dying, i think of life, of course getting old suck, but thats all part of life."

Heh heh, it's not the fall that kills ya, it's that sudden stop at the end?

10. peacefulwind14

peacefulwind14 Member

I believe in God and I believe there is a heaven. What "Heaven" means is debatable. Maybe when we die life as we know it (the illusion of the senses) breaks apart and our souls became concious invisible energy, dancing where we please in the cosmos.

11. 4_Leaf_Clover

4_Leaf_Clover I Love

i can't say for sure... but i got a lot of clues after i read the Tibetan Book of the Dead quite a few times.

when i die, my body will crumble to dust, and my soul will leave this illusory existence behind and merge with the universal consciousness... or something like that. the point is, i can't remember the last time i died, so we'll see how it goes this time around :)

12. crackforkids

crackforkids Senior Member

do K until you go blind or hit a big 5-meo-DMT rock. THAT is where your left when you die. i think.

13. /|\

/|\ Member

maybe we have all died millions of times. Obviously we wont remember dying or anything in our past life.

14. Tamee

Tamee naked

I am.
    Whether alive or dead, I am.

15. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

It has come to my understanding that we are all spiritual energy and a part of God and when we leave this material body what we have done (our Karma) will determine what happens...whether we reincarnate as an animal, human, or whether we go back to God...

But we cannot know until we get there...nor can we know what we were before this...so I figure you should just live life as best you can with open minds and be the best person that you can and hope that you can escape reincarnation...that is what I have come to believe and I believe someone quoted my sig and dear Mr. George Harrison but I will say it again and add just a bit more...

"I keep traveling around the bend
    There was no begining
    There is no end
    It wasn't born and never dies
    There are no edges
    There is no sides
    Ah yeah, you just don't win
    You're so far out the way out is in
    Bow to God and call him Sir
    And if you don't know where you're going
    Any road will take you there..."

16. Veritas

Veritas Member

i think time stops and you trip eternally, with no bad trips ever.

17. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

And I guess that means those poor Native Americans and Australians, as well as many Africans, were screwed for the afterlife until colonialization (After which they were screwed in this life!)

As far as my ideas on death, I mainly agree with what another guy said, about joining back with the universal "I" except it isn't really joining; its the ego disolving away and realizing we were that Universal I all allong. I agree heaven and hell are both here now, whichever we choose. I think all religions use metaphors to describe this (that God is within), and the problem is when people get attached to the metaphors. Metaphors are signposts, they point to something else. Start focusing too much on the metahpor and too little on the meaning, and you're basically climbing the signpost rather than walking the path it points down. (read some stuff by Alan Watts. Good stuff)

Death isn't something to fear, but it isn't something to dwell on too much. We'll get there soon enough; our job is to live life. As Charles Buckowski said "We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live life so well that Death will tremble to take us"

18. drewbee

drewbee Member

We are told we will be found with our loved ones. We will be happy, be free. I have one question though. Isn't happiness, isn't love, isn't freedom something, actually, an emotion? Aren't emotions something that is charecterized to a living thing?

When we die, we feel no death, we feel no happiness, we feel no love, we have left our bodies and our emotions behind, going to the new place. But is their a new place? Maybe everything that existed in our own self, is destroyed, and blanked out, making new room for the next person. We are everything when we are alive, and nothing when we are dead.

But then again, what if emotions are more then just neural impulses sent from our body to our brain to make us feel the way they do. Maybe their more then just simple chemical reactions taking place in our head. Energy? Possibly. I know that when I love someone, and they love me, I can look at them and can feel their love. I can feel their happiness, and sadness when they are down. (I believe the term is empathetic?). How is it possible that I can recieve something that is not mine? Maybe when we die, we do not fail to exist, but flurish. All of our energies on earth are taken with us to the next, be it the same place, or another of the unknown. Their are so many questions, and so little answers, but my friends, when it is time, it is time, and their is nothing you can do except wait for your body to fail. Just as certain as having to pay taxes, it is, and will come. This is why I live my life to the fullest, and love everyone and everything as I can, because at some point in time, it is going to all be gone, or all be their? Who knows. My own emotions are even taking over when writing this, as I am almost in tears. I emplore you all to do the same, because, as it is, we all have so little time.

Good Night To Everyone :)
    Drew

19. shkbobo

shkbobo Member

Alls I can say is...I usually am like most of you abotu the issue, kind of like dont fuck up your life and jus live what happens happens, which is correct, but I get these moods at night....
    Like thinking about anything like that. Because dying and not having anything after is horrible and scares the shit out of me. But imagine living forever...I don't know about you guys but that scares the shit out of me. If you live forever, you have no "future" if you think about it....you will always be there....scary as shit.

So as for dying or living forever, somehow they both scare me both.

So instead I'll go with the "forget about it and live life" idea, seems nicer....just hope my life will be worthy.

20. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Not existing shouldn't scare you. We didn't exist before we were conceived, and no one worries about that. And I mean, if you don't exist, you can't be afraid, because you'd have to exist first to feel the feeling of fear. Dig?

I agree everlasting life would suck. Everything would be happy and fun, but that'd get boring as hell after a while.

But right now, the best answer we have as far as what happens after we die is "I don't know." So it is fun to imagine different heavens or whatever, but it's all speculation. I figure since death is natural and universal, there is nothing to be afraid of...it's a part of life. No worries. I'm just gonna keep living and having fun while I can.