What happens When An Enlightened One dies?

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by Art Delfo, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

If one is not reborn what happens to them?I think the Buhhda said he did not know.

2. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

They go to Nirvana? They're dead? They reincarnate?

Who knows

I guess you'll only find out if you become enlightened and you're dead.

Blessings

Sebbi

3. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Enlightment is not static ... it changes, too ... so they all go on changing and growing, like each of us ... just on a different level.

4. Sebbi

Sebbi Senior Member

My sensai said that once:

"Enlightenment is not the be all and and all. Afterwards you still continue growing and developing."

Blessings

Sebbi

5. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

The Buhhda said he did not know.

All of pepole he should have known

6. Dan67

Dan67 Member

I could go along with that. We never stop learning, no matter how learned we are.

7. xdianax

xdianax Member

Awhile back I was talking to my christian friend about this. He had kinda been telling me that he and his church believe that if someone doesn't believe in Christ they will go to hell, and then questioned me about Buddhism. I remember I didn't have a very good answer for him, and he asked "so do you believe you just lay in a coffin after you die if you've reached nirvana? I would rather go to heaven than rot in my grave," I remember feeling inadequate because I didn't recall what the buddha had said about it.

:) In love,

Diana

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It is my understanding that once enlightenment is reached there is an understanding that the single self is an illusion.

The body, ego, and world in general are not seperate states of being. Each is interrelated and dependent upon each other for existence.

There is no beginning, there is no end.

When an "independant" body dies, it mearly "transforms" into something else. The ego dissapates with the body. The true ultimate self (which is the underlieing bases for the ego and the body) continues to exist and will display itself in a new form.

9. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Through change, we are connected with all that is on all levels of being.

So the Buddah changes through us, too, even as we change through the Buddah, and other enlightened ... even as we are all growing in awareness, and awaking.

And we may help the Buddah grow, by joyfully changing our own selves and maybe we find the divine seed never was somewhere else but inside of us.

Just a thought.

10. White Feather

White Feather Senior Member

Suposedly he can choose whether or not to be reborn. Saying anything beyond that may be speculation.

11. corduroy

corduroy Member

Does it not matter what The Buddha said? Because was he not the first Buddha, nor the last, are we all not capable of becoming Buddha's?

12. Goatman88

Goatman88 Member

There were many more Buddhas than just Gautama. But if I remember correctly, he said he did not know what happened.

13. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

^Which is indicative of his honesty. No fantastic claims, just talking about what he knows (and as one still alive, what could he know about death?). This is one of the things about Buddhism that really attracts me: it makes sense, it's simple, and nothing it says is very hard to imagine being true. It's almost scientific, saying, here, try this, it worked for me, maybe it will work for you too.

14. Zion

Zion Member

You know I vaguely have memories of that moment. And I think I Krisha and Naraja were the ones I talked to. Then I chose my path.

15. Art Delfo

Art Delfo It is dark

ummm the world sorruonding you.....was it purple?

16. White Feather

Yes, we are all capable of become Buddha.

But when you say, "Does it not matter what the Buddha said?," that may appeal to the rational mind. How can one write about an existential experience? Those who were near Buddha felt his silence, they didn't need his words. "The Tao cannot be written nor said." That doesn't mean that one can't experience it.

All we can rely on are the words of those who say that they can remember their past lives. Personally, I see re-incarnation as watching the same great movie many times over. For example, I've seen the movie "Tremors" over 500 times and I never get tired of it. What I perceive my previous lives are varied and go as far back as 2000 years. Life isn't like only being able to have vanilla ice cream once in your whole life.

17. Colours

Colours Senior Member

i thought they just became part of the Brahmin? Or rather, went back to connect wit hte Brahmin, going back to the whole.

18. White Feather

Some Buddhists say that some Enlightened Ones go on to higher planes of existenace to help others, not just come back or decide to go into Nirvana.

19. Zion

Zion Member

It was everything the whole system of the universe flowing like a white waterfall flowing verticly past my eyes i think infintely. Umm. But the stream was the eathly experience, behind KRISHNA and NAJARA was a delocate paradise. as scene in the bagahbava gita. And its guided me for so long. I need to rest, Im sure it was a dream, I was in subconciense control of some of it

20. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

The enlightened one does not die. The body dies.