What does it truly mean to be "feminine"?

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by TreeFiddy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. That's interesting. :) Apparently blue is associated with boys in this country because it's a lucky colour, so male babies were traditionally given blue things for luck. At some point in the 19th century, someone (sorry, I'm in vague mode again...) decided that girls needed a colour too, so they picked pink. It's funny how these things come about. Says he, dressed head to toe in blue. :lol:

Peace.

2. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

was there a colour picked for boys, because male babies tend to be weaker than females?
    S

3. That would make sense. I was attributing it to good old-fashioned institutionalised sexism, but you might well be right. *ponders*

4. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

sounds like it could be both.....
    S

5. shellygurl

shellygurl Member

You have beautiful eyes. I think you are very pretty. I guess that is okay to say. I am a 40 year old 6'3" male 200 lbs. but I don't feel very masculine. I cry much am very passive and quiet. I really think myself and my wife were born the wrong gender. She is very masculine and demanding and aggressive. She likes to tinker with fixing things that break, cutting the grass working on the car she has even done but on the other hand she is also very feminine. I don't know if here masculine traits are forming due to my lack of them and she tries to make up for what is missing. I could set and talk for hours as a girl when I was a man I was very quiet.:confused:I used to love to cook and would love to wear makeup and go out. I don't at this point due to the fact that this is unknown to my wife at this point.I have been faithful to her up to this point but I am trying to find a way to tell her and my beautiful daughter who I really am. I do however lover to wear their clothes when they are out. I guess I do have some masculinity in me for example if my girls were threatened in any way I would go totally manly on someone. I really don't know what makes the difference. I have for 20 years suppressed the feminine traits but they don't go away. Well I am sorry I just wanted to comment on your beautiful pics and wound up trying to talk your ears off.Sorry:D

Hugs and Kisses

Shelly

6. Theide

Theide Guest

I have a bit of a different perspective on this. All of the women in my youth were very strong, doing the same work the men did, and basically just as tough. So it is not unfeminine to me to think of a woman swinging a hammer or bucking hay, just as it is not unmasculine to see a man in the kitchen.

It is not what you do, but who you are, and who you want.

Just do what you want to do, and be who you want to be, and to hell with anyone who wants to tell you it is not your role.

7. TransTeen

TransTeen Member

I think that we as individuals,rather than sociotey,define whats masculine or feminine.People rely on the fads of the time as a basis.50 years or so ago,a male haorstylist or the like would be considered gay,no matter what.Today It's not so black and white.It's socially acceptable do do things like that.Who knows,maybe in another half-century gays,lesbians,bi,and trans people will mingle freely with heterosexuals and not be persecuted.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  8. BigGirlGuy

BigGirlGuy Member

Simply put, modest, confiding, self-denying. This can be male or female but it truly is feminine.

9. check.

check. Senior Member

society has created what "masculine" and "feminine" mean. however, things like a larger jaw, wider shoulders, etc are masculine whereas smaller facial features, wider hips, etc are more feminine. however that mainly has to do with testosterone/estrogen levels so i dont know if that's really the same thing. however, things like the way people dress, how they act, how they speak (aside from pitch), how they style their hair... if it's considered "masculine" or "feminine" then that's just definitions society created.

10. AloyHyena

AloyHyena Members

I think it varies to person to person. Everyone has their own ideals and attraction but cultural standards can play a role in it or shape it in some form.

11. Timee

Timee Members

For me I have no definition. It’s how I feel and act. I’m not a masculine man at all. I’m very emotional, I care what people think, I’m respectful of everyone. I find myself gravitating more as a female. I only wear female underwear. So I don’t know I think it’s the way you live your life and the feelings that you have. Just my two cents

snowtiggernd and Happy Guy like this.
  12. Escierto

Escierto Members

This is an interesting question. My transgender girlfriend is extremely feminine in appearance. She is small boned and delicate. She has no discernible Adam’s Apple. She has a female voice. She has feminine hips. All of this without hormones or surgery.

Yet, she has no dysphoria and is content with her body especially her large penis. In fact, sexually she is a pure top and has never been a bottom. In our sexual relationship, I am her bottom and I am happy in that role giving her pleasure and satisfying her desires.

I ALWAYS think of her as a woman and 98% of the time I forget that she is transgender.

One would expect a woman to be passive and receptive sexually but that is the role I take. I don’t think she is any less of a woman for being the active partner. So what does it mean to be a woman? It can’t just be about sex?

Timee likes this.
  13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Do you ever feel like questions about a sexual-ideology are really masked age-ism?

Like, once your older do you really even think about that?

In my own little world, it's almost like a vain attempt to prolong youth... It's a veritable fountain of youth! :D

Timee likes this.
  14. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Being a woman or being a man isn't about sex. At least, it mostly isn't. In spite of the fetishism that you see everywhere about transgender people, sex has very little to do with gender.

Gender identity is about self-image and patterns of social interaction. Social interactions get codified by society as gender roles. Gender roles are social constructs, but gender identity isn't. Gender identity is something we are born with. It is determined pre-natally by hormones that affect brain development. Sometimes, those hormones affect other physical structures besides the brain, and a trans-feminine person may have a feminine body, as your girlfriend does.

It is all in the timing. Genitals develop in the first trimester. The brain and many other structures develop in the second and third trimester. So if the hormones change during the pregnancy, you get features, one of which is gender identity, that don't match the genitals.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  15. Escierto

Escierto Members

That is a wonderful explanation. I have always wondered how she could have such a feminine body. I also wondered how she could ever go through life as a male - she would be an imposter!

16. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

To be honest, that is the case for most transgender people, whether their physical features match their gender identity or not. Feeling like an imposter in their assigned gender is what motivates any transgender person to transition.

17. Escierto

Escierto Members

I don’t know why people can’t understand that.

KathyL likes this.