What do you think of...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by dylanzeppelin, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

When scientists or whomever discovered something that is a few thousand years old? Like for instance, James Cameron saying he found Jesus' tomb and more recently although not quite old, MLK papers which is almost 40 years old. Do you think items like these that were apparently "discovered" holds truth that they were magically discovered or something is behind it? Or perhaps, just a hoax? I'm sure there are plenty of discoveries. I.E. dinosaurs.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not understanding what you mean by magicly in this context. discouvering a body that can be identified as being two thousand or even ten or twenty thousand years old, this is done, can be done, can be verified to have been done. verifying the personal names of its next of kin or the intimate personal details, i mean the more mundane ones we take for granted, of its daily life is another matter. as far as i know there are no dental, finger print, dna, or other records on file from more then a few hundred years ago, if that long, by which to positively identify the former occupant of a few bones. so any such claim to have done so seems self serving and pointless.

but it CAN be determined approximately how long ago something, like a bit of bone, ceased to be part of a living organism, or, like a bit of rock, cooled from a molten state.

and as for documents, well, places where people have lived, aren't automaticly torn down and ritualy destroyed or anything if a person who once lived or worked there becomes famous and then dies. so there's really nothing all that big whoopie, about someone, even you or i, moving into some place, and finding a bunch of old pieces of paper that have something written on them tucked away in some drawer somewhere.

of course if your point is that anyone can claim anything, this of course also is true.
    so if you're asking if everything should be taken one way or another, just everything on general principals without in greater detail thinking about it, well that's not something i see a whole lot of sense in doing.

reality is always somewhat more complicated then that.

people have all sorts of reasons for saying all sorts of things. some true. some otherwise. so what sense does it make to just arbitrarily assume ANYTHING we here is EITHER one OR the other?

the safest assumption in most casses, is that there are elements of both.

=^^=
    .../\...

3. dylanzeppelin

thanks for that awesome reply. i meant it seems weird sometimes that things are found especially those of a million years ago or so. sometimes i feel skeptical, especially like how sadam was found around the time of the reelection of bush. sometimes i feel like everyone has been found. i dont know, im not much of realist when it comes to things like that. eh i dont know, but thank you. sorry if i wasn't completely clear on what i meant.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

sure people politicly time what and when they tell people about. if you think about it a little you can probably think of one time or another you may have done so yourself.

everyone has their own agendas. and sometimes, often, this distorts what the rest of us think we know.

it is always reasonable to be sceptical. rejecting out of hand is the same opposite of an honest scepticism as is uncritical acceptance.

there IS 'magic' in this world.
    but there is also great harm and suffering caused by taking whatever is popularly believed, for granted, simply because it is.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I think that those things are irrelevant. People are so stuck in the past that they ignore the future, or even worse... the present.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yes. every breathe we take today, creates how we will be living tommarrow.

when young people with the demographic of numbers on our their side, chose to look to what they could make of tomarow, instead of fantacising about how what was could have been, as they had grown up with their parents doing, that is what MADE the 60s and 70s and all that those decades attempted and accompleshed.

splitting hairs over what might have been is indeed irrelevant to making what could be.

=^^=
    .../\...

7. dylanzeppelin

i am guilty of that. although the past that i think of is not my own past.. hell its way past i was born.. but i definitely think of more present than future.. eh future, hehe. i'll take my chances and just do whatever in the present than anything else.

or something like that, =)