What do you think is the simplest, yet most effective way to learn Spanish?

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by kittie, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I did that while living in the US. Had a friend from Cuba who was much happier speaking Spanish with her friends and family. We hung out a lot together. That's really how I became conversant. We went to Uruguay for a month, stayed with her girlfriend's family, no English the whole time. Amazing experiences.

colloquial likes this.
  2. FWKbi

FWKbi Members

Si, Y por supuesto en el sur de Florida, Miami, where I grew up.

~Zen~ likes this.
  3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Spanglish is a type of artform.
    For me it was mostly for fun, to see how creative interactions could be. But it is also a learning and teaching tool, as odd as that might initially seem.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

It ends up being used by me when I am stressed and can not think of the right word... embarrassing actually.

5. Renart

Renart Members

I think the most effective way to learn any language is to throw yourself into the water and go live in the middle of it.

There always comes a time where the brain eventually does the switch and starts adapting towards what is being spoken around you.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I have to agree, and it works for me so far...

Still much more to learn about all these verbs :)

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

My first course of action was to study books, learning how all the parts of speech work and applied differently in each language. A chart of all verb tenses depicting meaning and showing how each is formed from all three roots was immensely useful and I memorized that over a course of time. Lastly, collect vocabulary words and go around thinking in my mind what things I saw were called and how I might converse about them. So a good year learning about the mechanics without interacting with a native speaker. Then it was listen to music and comedians, and try to understand the radio. I'd record and replay, writing what I heard until it got easier to figure out. Finally it was look for native speakers and get embarrassed trying to understand and formulating a coherent thought in words. Read books and look up every tenth word. Then practice for fifty years. Now I can converse well, read, write, watch movies and YouTube adventures, etc. Por lo menos por ser gringo. :)

sureño and ~Zen~ like this.