What do you think is the simplest, yet most effective way to learn Spanish?

Discussion in 'Spanish' started by kittie, Aug 28, 2013.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You really made me laugh, it is a while since I have heard anyone use the term 'jugs' for what you had in mind. The incident that I mentioned was back in the 70's when I worked in central London, I would probably still be in the restaurant today trying to explain why we used to call breasts jugs in the UK. It was at the time that restaurants started putting numbers against all the dishes on the menu to make the waitresses jobs simpler. If their was more than 2 people eating, they were still clueless when they arrived with the food.
    The district and circle lines will be the first to trial the new working. The train operator, a new job title, will be able to operate the train in an emergency, but with the level of automation already in use on the new trains, they can rarely rectify a fault. Needless to say, they will be paid far less than the existing drivers £80,000 average salary, but all existing drivers will be offered a position and retain their current pay.
    Everything fails to safety and uses sequential operation, so everyone will be safe from accidents, but being stuck in the tunnel for hours is another matter.
    Have you seen the new platform doors that have been installed on the Jubilee line.? Another pile of pointless equipment to go wrong. Stations with a curved platform cannot use them, so people wanting to commit suicide will need to go for a ride first. The nanny state in the UK is getting crazy, they will be filling the river in next.

TrudginAcrossTheTundra and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Those subway doors look a disaster in the making somehow. You just know it's wrong. I know it's wrong. These things should be easily escapable...especially when the computer goes batshit crazy and won't open the doors as you sit there in the dark for hours gasping for air.

I think I will avoid subways now.

3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Fascinating stuff my friend! I haven't ridden any kind of subway in excess of four decades, and only a couple times total, and never been to London, so I'm totally clueless. I know they're needed though. My son lived in London for a year and would ride that thing between a flat and imperial. I don't recall any wild stories, or any details for matter, as it's been a while. That's a shocking salary for an operator, but then again it costs a fortune to live there even in cramped quarters. Def not my gig. But it's gotta happen for some.

I'm with Zen. I'll steer clear. I'd chance a ferry to Mazatlán though.

The nanny state... It knows no end. They need dependent subjects to keep them in power so they proceed accordingly. Survival of the weakest and most pathetic.

wilsjane likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

From Mazatlan you can get a ferry to La Paz. Just saying!

5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Date someone that speaks Spanish

wilsjane and ~Zen~ like this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

tengo ganas de bailar

Don't mind me... I say everything wrong! ;)

~Zen~ and sureño like this.
  7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

I have been thinking about riding down Baja (TIJ to CSL) but up would work, too. :)

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Proteja tu culito... :hushed:

9. wilsjane

That is OK until you meet a group of her friends and they can spend the evening talking abought you while you are sitting with them. :eek:

~Zen~ and Eric! like this.
  10. Escierto

Escierto Members

This used to happen to me with my ex wife. She was basically the only person that I could understand so I would sit in the conversation but by listening to her I could sort of keep up with what was going on. Not completely of course.

11. wilsjane

At least you understood enough to know that you were not the subject of the conversations. :D:D:D

~Zen~ and TrudginAcrossTheTundra like this.
  12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Except that if I simply say "Proteja su culito" you can easily infer that I'm suggesting you protect the other person's. To remedy that, I'd have to insert "propio" and then it starts to sound non-conversational. By combining the formal command with the unambiguous informal second person pronoun I show that I intend respect while keeping it short.

Also, "culito" is not formally a word. But we use it often.

Just like in English, the way we talk isn't always according to the formal structure.

~Zen~ and sureño like this.
  13. ~Zen~

All good lessons...

14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Well, remember, I was addressing this:
    So, with dos personas in the mix, you and one other, if I use "su" without a qualifier, there's no way you or anyone can tell if I mean yours or his/hers. Cuide su espalda - am I saying to watch your back or am I saying to be careful not to hurt the other person's back? Could be either. There's not enough context to know. One could guess either way. But it would have to be a guess. Two of Los Cuatro Acuerdos come to mind: SÉ IMPECABLE CON TUS PALABRAS" y “NO ADIVINES NI SUPONGAS”. Don Miguel Ruiz

15. ~Zen~

Today I had a hilarious conversation on the beach with a local.

He kept speaking English, I kept replying in Spanish. We ended up getting confused and speaking Spanglish.

16. Escierto

Escierto Members

Spanglish es muy común here in Texas and California. People start saying algo en el español and then switch to English.

17. ~Zen~

I would if I could remember most of it... it began with the fellow shouting at me "Que!" Repeatedly... so I walked over and said buenos tardes.... he replied in English "why are you leaving so soon?" He expressed outrage that I was not staying for the sunset.

I think he got it when I said "tengo hambre y es hora de cenar unos camarones."

Maybe. I'm not sure.

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Camarones :)

He got it.

~Zen~ likes this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

total emersion, if you can afford to go and live someplace for a while, or even perminently if that's what you want, where its what everyone else is speaking.
    same for any language. that way you could learn from context what things mean, the same way as an infant you learned to speak whatever language(s) you do.

sureño likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

I dig that... sort of what I do!

colloquial likes this.