What do you do when you’re feeling discouraged?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deidre, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Like if you’ve been pursuing different career paths and nothing seems to be working or perhaps you are discouraged in a different area, what do you do to keep yourself moving forward? (and not giving up)

And what I mean by this - is your faith your source of inspiration or friends or spouse etc? Like if you’re discouraged in life over something, what do you turn to in order to stay optimistic?

Sometimes, when I get discouraged, I just cry. I’d like to change that about myself. :/

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't know if this is a good trait to have or not but I'm pretty good at shaking failure off

I just keep trying if I think there's hope. Or move on to a different goal if it feels hopeless

I'm not one to really lean on others. But I try to do things to nurture my own soul..exercise, creative outlets.

And when all else fails I drive around blaring music and I sing and I cry

Deidre likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I usually concluded it was not the right choice and gave up. I don't give it as advice to people i don't know well enough, i see others keep going on and make it. But it did work for me :p
    I'm weird with career paths though. I don't really crave a career. I attempted some paths and do not regret it. You always learn something. I don't regret stopping either. What works great for some doesn't work at all for others.

Deidre likes this.
  4. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

wind sprints

Deidre likes this.
  5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I just swap and change. When I got fed up with being the chief engineer of a theater company after 17 years, I started designing my own buildings. Then when that ended, I moved to Heathrow Airport. When they got fed up with my crazy ideas, I took a 2 year break I went back to my medical qualifications and did a bit of heart surgery, (as the theater engineer) followed by a contract as a design engineer with the national grid. My hobbies include opera production and driving a London Ambulance at busy times (it is such fun watching everyone getting out of the way when I turn the blue lights on).
    Heathrow were real kill joys and would not let me take a spin in their new A380s though, claiming that they cost 200 million pounds each if I wrecked one.
    Since I retired, I still get plenty of calls about the projects that I worked on and in the evenings I have HF.
    What more could I wish for.????????
    Just read the slogan at the bottom of my posts and you will never cry again.

Deidre likes this.
  6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Redouble my efforts. Beginning a roof with 50--60--70 squares of wood to nail on--by myself---you have to pick up the pace, work your ass off and then---a good payday for the effort. Wasn't always easy--but I always got ér done.

(done now, tho.)

Deidre likes this.
  7. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I'm really down, I find that strength in others helps me get through just about anything. I seek out my truly good friends that I trust, for advice or their perspective on any issue. I don't always have the answers myself, but I learn so much when I get a little help. Sometimes my friends are able to show me things I might have overlooked, or never thought of.

Deidre likes this.
  8. Eric!

And about 100 push-ups. Gets the blood pumping, the mind focused, and the body stronger:)

Deidre likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

How many days? ;)

10. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I was at Heathrow for 12 years, working on the electrical and plumbing system designs.

Asmodean likes this.
  11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't know that I ever get discouraged. If I'm pursuing something I enjoy and it's not coming easy, I work harder at it. And that's easy to do when it's something I genuinely enjoy.

If I'm not enjoying something, I'll give up on it, and I'm fine with that. No sense pursuing something you're not enjoying to prove something to yourself.

Deidre likes this.
  12. Americunt

Americunt Corporate Hack

I get mad and tap into that. Kind of a "I'll be damned if I let myself be defeated!" sort of attitude. If you're not here to help me then stay the fuck out of my way, I'm on a mission.

Deidre likes this.
  13. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

This might sound really stupid, but I never thought of thinking if the situation is truly hopeless or not. lol And it's not. It's just me thinking it is. But, it's not. And your comment really helped me to think of the hope in the situation. There are situations in life that probably are hopeless, but this isn't, if I'm really being honest with myself.

I do exercise every day, eat well, sleep well, but emotionally, I tend to get down on myself and think that ''there's just no way this is going to happen for me.'' There's other days, I'm fine and don't think that way at all, but today...was one such day that I felt discouraged.

Meliai likes this.
  14. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

This is really so true. It's the journey that sometimes matters more than the destination, or so the saying goes. I sometimes do think that certain paths aren't the right ones, but it would be a shame to abandon a path, and not try harder, if it is something you want. Maybe I think things should always come easy if they're meant to be, and that's not always the case. Something may very well be ''meant to be,'' but it still requires tenacity to see it through.

15. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I don't think I'm down, if that makes sense, I'm feeling...discouraged. Like, doors are closing, and do I want to make the effort to keep knocking on new ones? That's the probably the best way I could put it. One of my friends said, maybe you're knocking on the wrong doors. Maybe, but, I want to get into those doors. lol

16. Eric!

Then knock harder or kick them down

Deidre likes this.
  17. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think that’s where the problem lies. I’m afraid maybe? Afraid of failure? Idk.

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Yeah, it ain't fun. But I've made it through rough times before and that's kinda a source of 'inspiration'.

Deidre likes this.
  19. Eric!

It's normal to feel afraid to fail. You naturally want to succeed at everything you do because you care, and you don't like to lose. But we fail by not giving ourselves a chance.

Deidre likes this.
  20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

when i feel discouraged i come to hipforums and am quickly reminded that shit could be worse

Deidre and Aerianne like this.