What do you do at Mexican Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Rianne, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Rianne

Rianne Member

I am a new vegetarian. Since refried beans are made with lard, how do you guys order at Mexican food restaurants?

2. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

One word... CHIPOTLE!!!

Now seriously, unless you've got a Chipotle nearby you do have options. Mexican dishes are my absolute favorite and this is probably the one area where I'm not still hunting for options. I choose things like Rice & beans - black beans, or Mexican rice; foods where there are very few ingredients & none of them are ever supposed to be meat.

If you still consume dairy, there are tons of cheesy things that come to mind as well like quesidillas & cheesy enchiladas. Some places are willing to substitute extra veggies in place of meat in their foods. All you've gotta do is ask. Places with a DIY taco bar are awesome 'cause you can add whatever you want. And if you ask, (I ask to see the actual containers because I have a legitimate allergy) some places do sell refried beans made without lard.

Good luck :)
    love,
    mom

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

def inquire on the lard and chicken broth issues. ask to see the box, because places will say "we don't use lard," and that might be true but the company that made the bean flakes did.
    I go to places that have truly veg options...although in a pinch I'd called salsa and corn tortillas dinner.

4. mlinauer

mlinauer Member

Personally I get beans and rice and mix them all together. At this point you have a very tasty dip that tastes great. I also order custom burritoes with beans but not refried beans. I have them put allot of veggies in it but I make sure to tell them no meat what so ever.

5. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Are refried beans always made with lard? I made dinner with tinned refried beans a while back and would have noticed if it had said so on the tin.

6. hippywitch

hippywitch Member

Taco Bell doesn't use meat ingredients in their beans or rice,right? I really hope not! I go there often and am vegetarian. I get their grilled stuffed burrito without beef. I was on www.vegetarian-restaurants.net before and read about them. They didn't say the beans have lard or anything and that Taco Bell told them they don't have meat ingredients in their rice but someone else said 2 locations did. But that was just 2 locations if it was true. And they were in another state.

Michelle

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

While I was in Johnson City,TN I found a good Mexican place called "Amigo".
    I loved their Vegetarian Delight Quesadilla. 1 Quesadilla filled with beans, cheese, bell pepper,tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, & guacamole.

If u don't like cheese or quacamole or whatever u can just ask them to leave it out. It was HUGE & very tasty.

8. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Yes, not all places use lard. In fact, very few do these days.
    Not around here anyhow.

Anyways, lots of times you can find like vegetarian fajitas and the like, which could be another option. Usually the rice is safe as well.

Just ask questions... if you want to be veggie, it's important that you're not afraid of asking questions, or tweeking an entree a bit. :) Good luck

9. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I've lived in California for 20 years and have never opted for Mexican food as a dietary option let alone favorite. Sorry... I don't mean to be racist or anything, but I am simply not a big fan of the cuisine. For starters, in my European-based culture, corn is fed to barnyard animals.
    You can order salads. Everybody loves jicama. There's huevos rancheros. Vegetarian burritos.
    Lard is a choice that the ownership makes as far as cooking goes. I do not believe that lard is used in most Mexican restaurants because it's not only less healthy, it's also quite expensive.

10. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Get something made with black beans.

11. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

the mexican restaurant I go to says "all refried beans are VEGETARIAN!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] So, I'm ok...and I usually ask for most things with beans or veggies instead of meat in them...most places have no problems.

Oh...and AVACADOS are your friend...I may just start a thread for avacado love. lol. [​IMG]

12. 3littlebirds

3littlebirds Member

hippywitch - taco bell's refried beans are lard-free
    but...I wouldn't really consider them 'mexican' :)

13. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

DAMNIT! I DIDN'T KNOW THEY WHERE MADE WITH LARD! MY MOM LIED TO ME!!!! FORGIVE ME ANIMALS!!!!!
    everyone do me a favor and give me a MENTAL KICK IN THE ASS!!!
    DAMN! i just had beans last night!!! I FEEL LIKE A FRIGGIN' IDIOT!!!
    i need a list of food i CAN eat! im still new at this!!!

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

YOUR mom might make them with healthier oils.

but at restaurants, you need to check, read labels on cans.
    And I don't think your mom LIED to you, per se.. not knowing is not the same as misleading.
    see the faq for links of secret animal ingredients.

15. lucyinthesky16

lol no i dont think she lied to me. the place i LOVE to eat is an authentic mexican restaurant. ive never asked if they use lard (they dont speak much english) but they probably do, being authentic.
    live and learn!

16. lucyinthesky16

another thing I found out just yesterday was that gelitain is made from animal parts, too.
    i always read the ingrediants now, and if it has too many big words i try and stay away from it. (the bigger the words are, the less organic it is!)

17. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

and its just kind of nasty...ewww... Jello...ewwww..

18. seaweedyness

seaweedyness Member

im not a vegetarian, but tortilla chips with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, chillies, and whatever other veggie you want, is very good

19. NovaStarwind

NovaStarwind Member

Just a couple warnings about mexican restaurants, since I work at one (fast food, lol). Some enchilada sauce is made with fish sauce/juice/something fishy(such as the stuff at Taco del Mar). So always ask about that! And my vegetarian friend who used to work at Taco Bell told me that the sour cream there isn't vegetarian; it's got gelatin in it. But yeah... at authentic Mexican restaurants, I usually get a veggie burrito, which is HUGE and can usually make 3 meals total.

~Nova

20. lucyinthesky16

speaking of hidden animal products nova, i found out today that some salad dressings have fish products in them, like roman.
    gotta read those ingrediants!