What do you cook a boyfriend for dinner?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by JassieLeigh, Aug 26, 2013.

1. hippiemomma22

hippiemomma22 Member

Make what you are good at. If everyone likes your beef Wellington....make that! :)

2. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Think about the mechanics of delivering the dishes to table, before deciding what to do.

Go for things that can be prepped in advance as far as possible, with minimum cooking time needed when your visitors are there.

For instance:

Starter: crudités with a home-made dip. All can be prepared in advance, plated up, and sitting in the fridge ready for when they arrive.

Main course: poached salmon fillet on a bed of wilted spinach with spicy fried potatoes and a hollandaise sauce. The potatoes can be prepared in advance. The spinach takes next to no time. The salmon fillets will poach in about 5 - 10 minutes (DON'T boil them ... poaching water should be ONLY JUST too hot to put your fingers in) and the only thing which takes serious effort is the hollandaise. If worried about this, substitute a cream reduction sauce or beurre blanc which, again, shouldn't take very long to produce

Dessert: Again, something which can be pre-prepared and waiting in the fridge, so that when you've cleared away the mains all you need to do is pull it out and dish it up. If you've done a hollandaise or creamy sauce with the fish you'll not want a creamy dessert - otherwise I'd have recommended a set custard dish like crème brulee. Apples are ripening early here and blackberries are available in abundance, so an apple and blackberry crumble with wonderful freshly picked fruit would be one option. Or perhaps a lemon meringue pie or something like that. My favourite of all time was a quince meringue pie ... but it's way too early in the year for quinces.

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I am a friendly boy and I definitely don't want to be cooked for dinner.

Rule that out anyway.

4. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Go for takeaway Chinese. Everyone loves that.

5. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

Lasagna you can put together ahead of time and serve it with a spinach salad and garlic bread. Yum.

6. JassieLeigh

JassieLeigh Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, it didn't happen as we broke up.

7. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

8. JassieLeigh

JassieLeigh Member

Just a bit

9. odonII

odonII O

10. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

what did YOU do

11. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Aww, that sucks..... :( I'm sorry to hear that.

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Well, I read this whole entire thread and dang if I'm not gonna use all the quotes I planned. :) It's likely if y'all had gotten to the point of families eating with each other y'all may get back together...SO, this is what I think. :)

That was my 1st thought...and I've cooked for a couple of bf's families. Good spaghetti is easy and the main part of the dinner, the sauce, can be prepared ahead of time. Little tubs of butter by everybody's place for the bread. The sauce and pasta are most important, but everything else pulls it together and is super easy to gather and assemble. It makes a nice table but you'll get to get up and run your ass around taking up bowls, serving plates of pastsa and salad. lol yay

Pair it with a nice crisp salad, include chunks of cheese as well as shredded. Include French bread and voila! Some people prefer Italian bread, but I prefer the soft French. Have cups of Italian Ice with good coffee for desert.

Excellent point! I personally despise those fat noodles, even though many restaurants use that...and I won't east pasta where vermicelli is not available.

13. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

You can't go wrong with meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

14. JassieLeigh

JassieLeigh Member

I did nothing, he just told me that he wanted to concentrate on him self, we are still friends, we're going for a coffee tomorrow.
    But I don't think we will be getting back together, seeing as I have slept with his two bestfriends....

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Make Him A "Cream Pie"...:yum:...Men Like That..... :D

Cheers Glen.

16. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Why. Why resurrect this five year old thread? Fucking Lazerus Effect

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

There's Nothing That Can Compare To Munching Out On A "Country Sausage"...... :D

Cheers Glen.

18. Just for fun

Just for fun Live your best life

Mine made soup it became the date that lasted 21 years.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Horrible.

20. I would buy him a burek.