what do u think about joe cocker?

Discussion in 'Music' started by hip_peace, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Cocker did a decent version of 'Ill cry instead' it was not as good as the original because the original is how it is supposed to be. But his version of 'With a little help from my friends' is absolutely ghastly, it is considered better because he screeches it and therefore it is considered soulful. If he is pouring his heart into it then good for him but it is slightly inappropriate for a slight melodic singalong about hanging around with friends. Imagine him singing the theme tune to the flintstones and you will realise how ridiculous it is.

Some artists have done good versions of Beatle songs but not one single one of the is better than the Beatles version.

2. Hippievixen

Hippievixen Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i love the soul that just pours out from his voice... i'm a big phan!

3. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Are you sure it is soul or could it be phlegm?

4. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

i LOVE joe cocker! lots of his newer stuff is shit though...

5. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

I love Joe Cocker. I saw him with the Guess Who in 2001. It was a great show.

6. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I really like him. He's got a very interesting voice and does some amazing covers. I think we have quite a few of his CD's.

Madcrappie is right in some ways - he did record better versions of original songs which is pretty cool. I forget the name of the song (oh dear), but his version of Little Help From My Friends (it isn't called that is it?) is great :)

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I disagree completely with you there

I don't see how anyone could be such a Beatles fan that they even hail them as performers
    the Beatles areknown as top notch artists and innovators, which, although it can be argued, is a reasonable claim
    their performance skills were nothing special, and could be rivaled by nearly any band in nearly any concert, bar, or club

I love Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help From My Friends, it brings the emotion in the lyrics to life, in a way that the Beatles as a group could never seem to do (with any of their songs)

all these also kick the shit out of the Beatles' originals:
    Joe Cocker's Let It Be
    Jewel and Rob Thomas' cover of Here Comes The Sun
    Aerosmith's Come Together
    Jimi Hendrix' Day Tripper

8. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

He defiantly has a unique voice.

9. OceanBlue62

OceanBlue62 Member

joe cocker is a great singer, unique voice, definitely. l've been at his gig few yrs ago and hoping l'll go and see him this summer, too.

10. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

i've only heard "with a little help from my friends". Its on the woodstock DVD and i think it's pretty cool. He's really into it thats for sure