What do original hippies think of younger ones?

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. mimosa

mimosa Banned

This sums it up for me too. I love you young folks. Carry it on, brothers and sisters.

2. m6m

m6m Member

Hi We_All_Shine_On,

I am impressed that anyone your age, in this current environment of fear, conformity and hyper-competitiveness, has the heart to be inspired by peace and love.

In my day it was easy. There were millions of us sharing our energy with each other. Millions of us striving for deeper meaning and greater spontaneous freedom.

Unfortunately, we were'nt stong enough to overcome our childhood programming.

So most of us turned into Yuppies.

And you, and the rest of your generation, are condemed to exsist in the results of our failure.

For my generation, I apologize to your generation for our weakness.

3. LotusIndia

LotusIndia Member

m6m brings up a good point. How many of us turned into yuppies? I suppose I ask that because I really don't feel I did. Am I alone? I know I'm not perfect and have sometimes maybe wavered, but essentially I am still living the same lifestyle I lived in the 70s, and for that matter, always have. So, how many old hippies out there became yuppies?

Namaste,

Lotus

4. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep, I love the resurgence of the hippie ideal too...we NEED you guys!! Keep up the good work, be true to yourselves, and keep asking questions, even if the answers seem confusing or disturbing. The future of the planet depends on the younger folk, and you guys are doing GOOD!

5. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

I like our Younger crowd. I believe we need to get to them, and teach them BEFORE thier parents do! Parents suck! They want these kids to be just like them. Which is fine if the parents are Hippy too!

6. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Our planet would be doomed without the younger generation of hippies.I am fortunate to live in a hippy rich area.As such,I have had the pleasure to meet many of our local youngun's.I have no fear that they will continue on in the kindest way.Very dedicated and intelligent.Peace

7. luvndrumn

luvndrumn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Some parents suck, Matt, not all. Some are doing good stuff. And not all of them would be classified as hippies. That's the problem with stereotyping.

8. teepi

teepi living my dream

In 1970 I was 12 and found myself at Earth peoples Park, 600 acres of communal land in Norton Vt. on the Canadian
    border. I had runaway from a foster home and truly started "finding my own way" on that fatefull trip, thats where
    I first met the man who is now my husband,Larry.

I was welcomed with open arms by everyone there and felt so much love and acceptance that it was always my dream to
    live my life as close to that way of being as I could.

I have a son, Donovan, and he is now 20 years old.
    This son of mine is one of the coolest people I know, he lives his life according to his own rules,respects others in their beliefs
    and has total respect for the universe and everything in it,he doesn't do anything because its a fad, he does right because in his heart
    its just the thing to do.

He called me yesterday and I had a good laugh when he told me he just took a second job at a gas station and he feels he is a "death merchant"
    as he sells alot of beer and cigarrettes.
    As his mother, I love him, as a fellow human being, I would trust him with my world.

I am so saddened by the crime I see committed by young people on the news(when I can stomach watching it),
    but then i come here and I see a whole new generation and their ideas and concerns and I think this old world might just have a chance if we can keep it together for a bit longer.

9. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

what ive learned over the past 10+ years is that most hippies, young or original or old, are not credible or strong in thier beliefs. but for all the bad influences and distractions, somehow a few of us manage to slip through the cracks and remain hip. and alot of time they dont look like the hippest person.

10. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

... As I find myself just this side of 60, I can still remember what it was like to be young. But, I have a long road of experience behind me and a shorter one to travel to reach the end of this journey as Sam. I have different interests as an older woman. I still care for the Earth and all it's critters and growing things, but I maintain my enthusiasm here, on my few acres.

This is Your Time, youngsters... ERE... you take this torch and pass this here joint... It's your turn to go about changing the world now. Semper Fi... Carry On!

Much Love,

Sam

11. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

Hey Lotus! Sheeze! I don't think we qualify as "Young, Upwardly Mobile Professionals" anymore... but I didn't become one when I was at the qualifiying age to be labeled as such. Although we are near retirement and have a comfortable life these days, we still live close to the Earth. Always will.

Thanks for asking!

Sam

12. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I never really sold out. I got sucked up by the army in 1972 and came back alittle screwed up. So I live on $879.00 a month disability. Not exactly yuppydom huh? But I'm happy. I like the youngsters Too.

[​IMG]

13. mimosa

mimosa Banned

Hi Mark!! Being happy's what it's all about right? I thought a lot about the yuppie question too, and don't think I've ever succumbed (sp) to it. I did have my chances but decided as a child that money is not important to me. thank you, 60's and 70's warriors. you influenced me more than you know.

14. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Makes two of us bro.......................welcome home.RVN 70-71-72.67V2F

15. LotusIndia

LotusIndia Member

Hey There Sam,

I agree. And I like what you said about still living close to the Earth. Personally I don't feel I sold out. Even my "profession" is an alternative one. (I dont cruticize anyone's who isn't though - I'm just lucky. Errr, sometimes, but thats another topic.) We have a place in the woods, I raised my kids off natural foods and natural healing, etc., etc. Although I don't officially consider myself a "hippie" anymore - I dont wear the label. I am just "me," but not a sell out or watered down version of me. At least I hope I'm viewing myself clearly. :)

Namaste,
    Lotus

16. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

'Lo Again, Lotus!

Took me some time & trouble to get back here and be able to post... sumthin' went kaflooie with my firewall and I couldn't even get my home page... Anywho....

Sounds like we live similar life styles. I like the part about natural foods and natural healing. I've been doing some vibrational healing with my horse. Seems to mellow him out nicely... and it makes me feel topnotch too! I'm hand grazing him on dandelions too. There's just nothing better than dandelions for nutrition and healing, especially when he isn't eating much of anything else.

Good talkin' with you girl!

17. CalJam

CalJam Member

In my mind I have nothing against the younger Hippie movement, I hope that they will keep the memory of the 60's alive and what it meant to us and what we tried to really do. Not just the drug movement but what freedom and energy meant to the many who not only died but still survive in this never ending political mess controled by the mass that make the rules and change them to suit. It meant giving and loving your fellow man, sharing in this world not only the good but the pain in which we live. I don't believe that anyone sold out, I think that we all just had to come to the realization that we only made a small dent and that wasn't enough to live by. Times are so different now and it may become harder to relate such old dreams and ideas but just to "Love" is quite a big accomplisment. Peace In Music, CalJam.. :)

18. WhatIs

WhatIs Member

Obviously, the Hippy Spirit lives on.

What I'm curious about is whether there are any hippy communities today.

I don't mean kids living with their parents, or at college. I mean the equivalent of Haight-Ashbury or Greenwich Village as they were in the sixties.

19. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

Bohemia? Bohemia is a fallacy in your head. This is Calcutta, bohemia is dead.

20. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

i met an old hippie who was suprised i was one..........he laughed. :) But as far as i know, he didnt seem to mind. Why would they? we are all the same. And even the imposters are closer to hippiedom than the conventionals. Well, it is insulting, but still. I am a very extreme hippie, have been for years believe it or not, despite my age. Still, i think FAR FAR beyond my years. I love old hippies...