what did you eat today and why?

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Nimh, I'm insanely jealous of your garden. We harvested the last of our swiss chard about a month ago and it's a barren wasteland till next spring. You got good taste too.

Started the morning with a bentonite clay + psyllium husk shake........ cleansing.

Played piano for 3 hours........ then for lunch I ate Collard Greens, a slice of baked ham, green peas, green beans, and mung bean sprouts sauteed with sesame oil.

Then between then and now I ate 8 persimmons (50c each), 2 bananas, and a whole baked acorn squash. I'm about to follow that up with 2 oranges and a baked sweet potato.

Eat wholesome.......eat well.

2. Stabby

Stabby Member

Dude. Insulin levels. Dude! Insulin levels! All of those things are individually "healthy" but that's way too many carbs.

3. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

We can only get energy from fat, protein, and carbs. If you know anything about the human body most of the fats we eat aren't good, and protein aint the best source of energy. We're meant to eat tons of carbs (and some fat)............ Asian people eat white rice everyday and diabetes aint a problem

How do you normally get all ur calories?

4. Stabby

Stabby Member

I get my calories from carbs, fat and protein, obviously. Let me be more clear. Carbs, protein, and fat are neither good nor bad in themselves. What is bad for the health is a poor balance of them. Humans aren't their healthiest when eating tons of anything in particular, everything should be balanced. Where you got the idea that fa is bad so you need to eat mostly carbs, I don't know. Moderate amounts of animal meat are a huge boon to a diet. I think that a lot of people get caught up in the vegan fallacy.

My ratio is 40 30 30 (carbs, fat, protein) but 60 20 20 would work for strong carb types like most asians.

Regardless of metabolic type eating all of those carbs together is very unhealthy. Even if one doesn't develope full on diabetes, high insulin levels cause many problems. The key is to keep your insulin levels low and constant. Eat carbs but spread them out in bits throughout the entire day and eat the animals proteins in 2 larger meals with vegetables. Eating all of those carbs (8 persimmons and 2 bananas!) is a blast of sugar through your blood, and your pancreas is going to to have to excrete a huge amount of insulin to store it all.

So eat carbs, obviously, but not so many and not all at one time. Remember, fat and animal meat isn't bad for you, carbs aren't bad for you, improper ratios and poor timing is. You're eating fruit and starchy vegetables and not sugar and grains so that's a big positive.

5. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

I dont think fats are bad, atm I just can't have too much. If I eat too much fat with carbs I'll basically get very very sick for days. Plus I'm asian, so I've always handled carbs well.

I got a sweet hookup on premium fish from a monger (like $3 wild caught salmon trims, $4 mahi mahi fillet). One of my favorite things in the world is sashimi (I should get some tomorrow....) A big fatty cut of salmon..... a little olive oil / ghee to start the fry, and fry it in its own oil. Sea salt, pepper, dried wild garlic, oregano...... Get me some collard greens, broccoli, and a sweet potatoes......... now thats some good eatin.

6. Stabby

Stabby Member

Sounds good. The 8 persimmons and 2 bananas thing just set off alarms with me. Fruit may be "healthy" but its easy to have too much of a good thing.

Mmm I could certainly go for a ton of persimmons right now though. Ill have a couple after my workout :drool5:.

7. Colin4May

Colin4May Guest

Well, I'm just experimenting with a breadmaker that I got for Father's Day last month-
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/290123/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html (the SD2500WXC if you want to know the exact model).

I've never had the urge to bake bread before, but you can try different types of wheat, including gluten-free stuff, which is probably a lot healthier for you!

I realise that it may not be particularly green in that I'm using power rather than my own hands to make the bread... but i think that I (and my family) should be getting healthier... well... maybe at least I can shed a few pounds, especially if I dust of the pedal bike! Lol!