What did you do for exercise today?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i assume they're talking about tournament rules, which i don't know too well. i mostly just play bar rules, which is a completely different set of rules to american or non-american tournament. and then the local league here plays valley rules, which is pretty much like tournament rules, but i think some of it is different too. i can't keep up with all the different versions.

i do know that in american rules, either tournament or valley, a scratch or a table scratch is ball in hand anywhere on the table. bar rules it has to be behind the line that you break from, and there's no such thing as a table scratch, which gives you a lot more freedom to fuck up your opponent's next shot if that's your aim.

you're right, i've never heard of a rule set around here that doesn't allow you to sink your opponent's ball as long as you hit yours first. you'll lose your shot, but it's not a foul.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Our rules are:

A ball must hit a rail if no ball is potted, either object or cue ball.

Foul if opponent ball is sunk, 2 shots.

If you scratch the cue ball it's ball in hand behind the balk line, can shoot backwards, 2 shots.

A total snooker is where you cannot see your ball, you don't have to hit a rail from this if you're granted a total snooker but you have to at least hit your ball. If not it's a foul 2 shots.

Scratching off the black ball if the black is not sunk is not a loss, 2 shots to opponents.

We don't have to call a pocket for the 8 Ball.

A foul snooker is where you're in a total snooker but the opponent fouled their shot, in this case you have two shots but you can nominate any ball on the table. If you nominate an opponents ball you can sink it and still have two shots. Or, you can go ball in hand behind the balk line and still nominate opponents ball or black ball.

That's the basic rules anyway. There's heaps others where if a ball is frozen on a rail then it needs to hit at least another rail.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Wow your rules are totally different. There are a few different leagues with different rules in the US but the one i've played and I think the most common is APA -

APA rules as compared to yours -

There are no fouls at all in the sense that your opponent gets two shots, but there are some fouls that make you lose your next shot even if you sink a ball. Like if you hit your opponents ball first but sink yours, thats a foul and the next shot goes to your opponent and they get ball in hand anywhere on the table

A scratch is ball in hand anywhere on the table

You definitely cant scratch off the 8 ball, thats an automatic loss

And you have to call the 8 ball pocket

And...there were some other little weird, annoying rules I cant think of right now, but those are the basics

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah that sounds completely different. like i said, i don't really keep up with any but the standard bar rules, but here's my interpretation:

A ball must hit a rail if no ball is potted, either object or cue ball. this is the same in valley rules. standard tournament rules, i'm not sure but i think it's the same. bar rules, no such thing.

Foul if opponent ball is sunk, 2 shots. definitely no such thing in bar rules. i'm not aware of this existing in any set of rules used here.

If you scratch the cue ball it's ball in hand behind the balk line, can shoot backwards, 2 shots. this is bar rules, except you can't shoot backwards. i think any other rules is ball in hand anywhere on the table.

A total snooker is where you cannot see your ball, you don't have to hit a rail from this if you're granted a total snooker but you have to at least hit your ball. If not it's a foul 2 shots. this is totally new to me.

Scratching off the black ball if the black is not sunk is not a loss, 2 shots to opponents. bar rules, this is a loss unless you're playing with friends. i think this is also a loss in the other sets of rules, although i'm not 100%.

We don't have to call a pocket for the 8 Ball. this is required in every set of rules here. actually, all shots have to be called except in valley rules, and very specifically at that (as in, cue ball hits 9 ball then the rail then the 12 ball, 12 ball hits 14 into corner pocket).

i'm not aware of any american rules that give you two shots. which is not to say they don't exist.

5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

walked went all the way to kfc to get me some chicken

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was going to bring this up too, when I played on an APA league piss shots were allowed (is that what you call unintentional shots?) but there are other leagues where you have to call every shot. And it was always hard for me to switch to bar rules because I wasnt used to calling shots

7. I don't exercise. I've just stopped eating. and when I do eat I throw up,

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

That's The Best Part Of You Gone..... :D

Cheers Glen.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's called slop around here, but i kind of want to make piss shots a thing now.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I use to not like 2 shot rule but there's so much strategy in it with the rules we have. Sometimes having two shots is even more complicated than having one.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now i get why you and rollinstoned are so close.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But I don't like jump shots! No jump shots in our league either. Ball can't leave the table.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Same here, no jump shots

I dont get the two shot thing though. If you have two shots but you make a ball on the first shot youre going to have another shot anyways, so does that mean you get an extra shot after you miss a shot?

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah i was a little confused on that too. what you said here is how i took it, but i really don't know.

i love jump shots. they're mostly illegal here too (i looked it up once and standard tournament rules allow it if you do it with spin instead of scooping the ball, but that's damn near impossible unless you're one of those trick shot people), but bar pool doesn't care and i've had a lot of fun jumping balls around the table, or accidentally jumping them right off the table and hitting my friends with them. one of my favorite shots ever was when i jumped the cue ball over another ball, landed and banked off the side rail, and came back to make my ball in the corner pocket.

15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Drove to the supermarket and parked in the parking spot furthest away from the entrance and walked.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i usually do this too. it has nothing to do with exercise, i'd just rather walk a few more feet rather than sit in line for 15 minutes waiting for everyone to inch through the close spaces.

to answer the thread question, legs and abs.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Just before sunrise I went for a run along the coast path this morning.. at the point where I turned around I stood in a "down dog" for a moment so that I was looking out to sea upside down.. it was hazy so the sea just kind of blended off into the sky and it filled my vision. It was a nice moment.