What did you cook today?

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by *MAMA*, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I want to start proper cooking again. I really should.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  2. Me too.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'll need to get a couple of implements as what we have here is very basic. But I could do a French onion soup with the cheese on toast floating on the top. That would be simple for now.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I just ordered a measuring jug and a garlic crusher which I need to make the onion soup. Got them both for less than a Pavarotti. This will be my first proper cooking project for an age. And it's so cheap and simple.

5. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I made a meatloaf on Saturday.

Then my daughter-in-law sent over some of her yummy Lasagna yesterday.

This morning, we got the left over Honey Baked Ham.

I might have to cook again on Friday.

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Just Cooked "Sardines On Toast" For Breakfast.....Washed Down With An Espresso......:yum:

Cheers Glen.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm just really not much of a baker.
    The flavor was there buuut it thickened up too much and was a little, er, gelatinous

Maybe it was the recipe's fault, i'll go with that

gentlesenior likes this.
  10. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

Back to the drawing board

11. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

I just made a quiche but tried to make it a little healthier. Kale instead of spinach and olive oil and not butter for the crust. Kale was decent but no spinach and there is a good reason to use butter for crust, makes it flaky. My crust was more board like, back to the drawing board.

Ged likes this.
  12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I happen to have a lot of tins of sardines so you inspired me to have sardines myself tonight. I don't really like them straight out of the tin but with buttered toast they are very good.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I didn't cook it but I made a baloney sandwich with Swiss cheese and mustard. I also had some Doritos.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I went out for dinner last night but when I came home I have cooked a zuchinni and brocolli potato mash with some beff sausages. I'll heat it up for lunch.. :) I also have some left of ribs to go with.

15. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

voilĂ ......

A 5000 calories afternoon breakfast
    20181205_134625.jpg

3 organic eggs
    Hash browns
    Lost count on bacon strips (buried)
    Homemade bread
    Lemonade to drink

WritersPanic likes this.
  16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice, a couple hours of full court basketball will nuke those calories for good

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  17. I cooked a chicken pot pie in the convector. It was most excellent. I'll go back to salads and fish tomorrow.

Orison likes this.
  18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Just Something Simple......As Usual......I Suppose One Would Call It A "Hamburger"......Between Two

Slices Of Bread I Placed......A Beef Pattie......Fried Egg......Raw Onion......Tomato.....Grated Cheese......

And Bacon.....Topped Off With Tomato Ketchup.....Quite Sufficient To Keep A Single Man Alive

For A Few More Hours...... :D

Cheers Glen.

Irminsul likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like hamburgers. :) I don't eat them as much anymore but even if I think I'm getting steak before I got out, if I see hamburger on the menu first, it has like a 70/30 chance of swaying me to the hamburger. :sweatsmile:

I so not know what I will have for lunch. I'll think of something. I think I've got stuff. :worried:

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Alright so I am not cooking it today but preparing it for Xmas day. This is my Chinese Pork Belly mixed with a little home recipe spice mix.

Now the main thing you need to do is peirce the skin but you don't want to go all the way to the meat, you want to cut through the skin about half way into the fat in a grid pattern over the entire surface of the skin area. This will cause the oils and fat to make a very nice fluffy crackling. Then I get a sharp poker and I poke every square a few times peircings the skin. Imagine all the oil trying come out and exploding into this crunchy fluffy crackle.

Then flip it over, I use pepper and a 5 spice mix I use at home. You don't need to go too much, if you prepare the skin and crackle correct then you won't even need a spice rub, but the spice rub for me is icing on the cake.

Then flip over again on tray, sprinkle with salt rocks, you'll wipe these away before cooking. They will draw moisture out of the skin to make the crackling even better.

This is going to look great once cooked at Xmas lunch. :)

This is quite simple dish just takes time to prepare, if you've got patience. I'll post the cooking times. When I post the finished product. I can't wait. I made two small mistakes cutting this grid top far but it'll be okay. You cannot see the mistakes in the photos though. I just got down into the meat. The rest will be awesome.

20181223_154653.jpg 20181223_160814.jpg 20181223_162012.jpg 20181223_162311.jpg

Meliai, Aerianne and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  21. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And 4 hours cooked! Really happy although the crackling was really crunchy and kind of fell off the meat when I tried to cut it. Was still awesome. :) got lots of left overs too. :) serve this up with apple sauce and chilled homestyle bacon bratkartoffeln. We also had a crunchy cabbage salad and platters etc.

20181225_224553.jpg 20181225_123813.jpg

22. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

GLEN Hates You Irm.......Just Saying......:anguished:

Cheers Glen.

23. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Cackling maniacally is mine.

Driftrue and Mike Literous like this.