what causes the munchies?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by MagicSwhirlingShip, Jan 4, 2005.

1. MagicSwhirlingShip

MagicSwhirlingShip Member

My health teacher was telling me today that you get the munchies because the thc goes into your fat cells and destroys all the vitamins and protiens so your body needs to replace them by eating. I know that is the biggest bullshit ive ever hear but i had nothing to come back with so do any of you know why we get the munchies?

2. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

it dose boost ur metobolic rate but not really enough to make a diff. for the most part i pesonaly think there all in ur head. cuz for the most part food looks and tastes better rather then the fact that ur hungry

3. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

cannabinoid reaction in the hypothalamus (the part of the brain that regulates certain metabolic processes)

4. nitemarehippygirl

nitemarehippygirl Senior Member

the munchies.....

the thc in weed is also found naturally in the body as a cannabinoid.
    your body already produces natural cannabinoids, which work like neurotransmitters and make you feel hungry when it's lunchtime, or whatever.

when you smoke weed, you're consuming extra thc, so you feel hungry when normally your body wouldn't be sending out the hungry signal.

also, takemenow, i haven't heard of any studies that show that pot increases your metabolism... all i've heard is is that your body burns the food you eat at the same rate as it normally would. which is why pot smokers tend to get a lil pudgy if they don't watch themselves. :)

5. TheJolta

TheJolta Member

I don't really get the munchies anymore... I used to get them a lot when I started though. So maybe it is all in your head, but I'd assume it's just related to the heightened senses you get whenever you are high.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

to simplify the stoning process, think of it like this, when you get stoned, all signals or impulses to your mind are enhanced.

humans , animals, are naturally always a certain amount hungry unless theyre completely full. so when you et stoned, this hunger is amplified. this is why, if you eat lots before getting stoned, there is no hunger impulse to amplify.

this is rather simplified explination but it works on many levels, the impulse idea.

im rather angry though, that people are allowed to teach children thigns that are just incorrect, and get away with it for teh sake of it. its infuriating, i want to kick your teacher in the face.

the endocannabinoids do not regulate hunger, or any of the other specific effects of being stoned, they regulate the amount of 'impulse' that is allowed into each brain cell. impulse includes many many things, like urges (food, sex, sleep etc), humour, emotion (sad and happy), paranoia, etc. it also includes sensory information being amplified, such as touch, sight, taste, sound. as well as this, there is the amplification of the 'recognition' section of the brain, which leads to people often seeing a dull object and thinkning it is soehting complex or animated, or seeing strangers in the street and thinkning from a distance that they are people you know, or when you look at thigns in the dark, and your mind sort of pieces together all the thigns you see. also, depth perception is amplified, to give a greater sense of depth, but for the human mind this leads to worse motor control ebcause we dont instinctally compensate for the enhanced perception.

ill stop now

7. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I heard a study years ago that was saying that smoking depletes your vitamin C supply and it's your body's natural response to this? It suggested eating an orange.[​IMG]

8. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I think it does actualy increase your metabolism, or mine at least.... I've noticed when I'm high, my stomach will feel empty quicker, and I'll have a bit of an energy boost...

9. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh your blood rate is higher, and so a lot of things in your metabolism speed up too

10. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

Stonerbill, you seem like a brilliant man on the subject. Where do you get all this info?

11. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

ive read a lot about it, though there is a hint of hypothesis in it all too, caus im not a neuroscientist, i piece together as much info as i can to make a valid system for explination

12. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

StonerBill you are probably the coolest person I've ever met in my entire life.

13. MagicSwhirlingShip

MagicSwhirlingShip Member

thanks stonerbill tomorrow im gunna go in with the truth and shell probally say "thats not true ur just ignoring the negatives" or something like that so ill just probally end up butter fly kicking her face off.

14. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

I must agree, please come down to ontario, ill definatly burn you quite the session.

15. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

:p thanks

but remember not to forget telling her and the class that marijuana is non-toxic to our bodies, and that no physical harm will ever come from eatin a hash cookie every day for te rest of your life. cept if the cookies have lots of colesterol maybe

16. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

hash cookies. that's good. i want some. a hash cookie a day keeps reality away. good for you too. its got vegetables in it. hell im going on a hash cookie diet asap..

17. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

this is the actuial true answer

18. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

^^ yeah. And the human body doesn't make cannabanoids on it's own. It makes similarly structured chemicals, which the true cannabanoids found in marijuana mimic.

19. Rasheeke

Rasheeke Member

isn't cannabinoid like the family of this chemical?? cannabis gives a stronger one, or higher dosage then our body does?

20. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh willy, though hypothalamus is just the area of the brain where the process i mentioned happens

and yeh theres no 'true' cannabinoid, the name was just coined by the plant, and now that they find more chemicals of that sort of structure they call them cannabinoids. however, interestingly, the chemical composition of cannabinoids and endocannabinoids is almost completely different, they just happen to react in the same way to the brain. and so endocannabinoids arent real cannabinoids, but a chemical doesnt have to come from the plant to be classified a cannabinoid. :S