what bullshit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Oklahoma, May 18, 2004.

1. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

I was talking about why I'm not proud to be an American on another forum, and somebody said I "wasn't a real American" because of what I said. It was kind of a long post, but I basically just listed all my reasons for not liking this country. They responded with: "let me clear something up for u...ur not a real american... and frankly thats just fine."

Now, as it turns out, I don't mind if somebody doesn't think I'm an American, but they knew I was. So what's the deal nowadays, if you're not patriotic, they take away your citizenship? Are we really so brainwashed that we're expected to buy into all this crap that's going on?

2. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

that shit pisses me off, too. Like when everybody for the war was saying "support our troops" they have a talent for coming up with slogans that make it seem like if you disagree you're evil. everythings backwards nowadays.

3. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

I dunno, America does have some problems, true, but it is also one of the best civilizations to ever come about, we just get some real assholes in charge sometimes.
    I think that those who blindly love America are not the true Americans. A true American is born with a spirit that craves liberty and freedom, one that distrusts the government and is proud of it's own abilites. Those that tell you "you're not a real American" because you think for yourself and believe things that are contrary to the prevailing government or even public opinion then you should tell them to stuff it that this country was based on people's rights to debate issues and to form their own opinions. ONly a facists, a true opposite of everything right in the world, would believe that love it or leave it bullshit.

4. dotadave

dotadave Member

:rolleyes:

5. Jozak

Jozak Member

If you are ashamed that much I seriously urge you to claim citizenship in another country. I am not being a smartass or rude either, but judging from your post it seems like you hate it here. Why live so miserable?

I am proud to be American. I don't have flags waving all over the place, I am not loud, obnoxious, or Republican like either. I don't wear "God Bless America" shirts or any of that, like you-- I think it's kind of dumb to say the least. I love living in this country. Yeah, there are some shitty things about it, but there are a lot of good things as well. No country is perfect. I hate when I get accused of being "Pro Bush" or being a Republican, when I clearly am not either, so I can have some sympathy for your situation....it happens to everyone.

6. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Dont listen to that little shithead, he doesn't know what hes talking about... they always try to push this patriotic nationalistic bullshit on every one, all the time... Never lie to yourself... if you arent patriotic dont be that way... fuck everyone who gets on you for it, becuase frankly they haven't a clue...

in our minds at least

Fuck america - burn a flag

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I love America. I just don't like its government and many of its people.

Landscape-wise, it's one of the most beautiful and diverse places in the world.

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Oh, gee... what an ingenious idea.

9. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

About the comment I made about not minding if somebody thought I wasn't American... All I meant was that I wouldn't mind if it was an honest mistake on their part and they actually thought I lived somewhere else.

Pressed_Rat, I love the land itself, just not a lot of the people who live on it..

10. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

seems to me that no matter where you go shit is fucked up, people are fucked up. you may deal better with the peculiarities of some other fucked up culture, and that is where you should be. as long as what's fucked up about you happily meshes with what's fucked up with where you're living, then you'll be able to carry on living with some semblance of happiness. there's a lot of different societies within the USA alone, but if it's not working for you here, and you've done what you can to make it better and have lost hope, try seeking life elsewhere.

shit's fucked up, man.

11. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are many things wrong with our country.It is up to it's citizens to effect change.Easier said then done I agree,but we should vote to make changes.As far as the sheep goes,again I would say it's up to us to get them to open their eyes.I love my country and have fought and shed blood for it.I do however continue to disagree with the direction we are heading.I will tell,and do tell anyone who will listen what we need to do,or stop,to become a better society.I would hope all here does the same thing.Peace

12. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

Getting squeezed out and sucking in air makes you an American. Free and proud to speak your mind as you do here.

The other American probably feels the same way as you about his freedom, but thinks you think they come free.

Read this short story and think hard......the gentelman who corrected the Iraqi woman represents the feelings of the majority of Americans. You are a 'true American" but the guy thinks you just don't realize how you got that way.
    Changeyourlatitude
    As some of you may know, one of my sons serves in the military. He is still stateside, here in California. He called me yesterday to let me know how warm and welcoming people were to him, and his troops, everywhere he goes, telling me how people shake their hands, and thank them for being willing to serve, and fight, for not only our own freedoms but so that others may have them also. But he also told me about an incident in the grocery store he stopped at yesterday, on his way home from the base. He said that ahead of several people in front of him stood a woman dressed in a burkha. He said when she got to the cashier she loudly remarked about the US flag lapel pin the cashier wore on her smock. The cashier reached up and touched the pin, and said proudly, "yes, I always wear it and I probably always will." The woman in the burkha then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi. A gentleman standing behind my son stepped forward, putting his arm around my son's shoulders, and nodding towards my son, said in a calm and gentle voice to the Iraqi woman: "Lady, hundreds of thousands of men and women like this young man have fought and died so that YOU could stand here, in My country and accuse a check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen. It is my belief that had you been this outspoken in YOUR own country, we wouldn't need to be there today. But, hey, if you have now learned how to speak out so loudly and clearly, I'll gladly buy you a ticket and pay your way back to Iraq so you can straighten out the mess in YOUR country that you are obviously here in MY country to avoid." Everyone within hearing distance cheered.

13. mynameiskc

sounds like a sentimental tall tale to me, urban legend style.

14. Changeyourlatitude

You are probably right, most of the stuff on the web being passed around is made up. But, many citizens feel the same, and it was only used as to explain why assholes call other citizens un-American. It's actually impossible to be un-American if you believe in what America stands for.

Changeyourlatitude

15. mynameiskc

i suppose from the standpoint that an urban legend is supposed to get across a message in a hypothetical situation, it's effective.

16. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

HAHA, definitely made up....everyone started cheering hahah

17. Changeyourlatitude

Let me ask a question?

Would you play pop up target, offer your life to protect the rights of Oklahoma?

Equally, would you do the same to protect the rights of the one who pissed Oklahoma off?

I would! I did!

Changeyourlatitude

18. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

Now that's 100% grade-A american prime bullshit there lattitude.
    Most Iraqis here are refugees, and if you think we went into Iraq to liberate it's populous you have a very very short memorie span, my friend.

19. Changeyourlatitude

Dude

Very slowly now, we went into Iraq because they invaded Kuwait. We took a break, which was a mistake, which cost thousands of lives of civilians and caused refugees to flee. The UN and the US offered Sadam many opportunities to avoid war; all he had to do is comply with the UN resolutions completely! That is why we went back in.

The added democracy idea was just added to try and change the neighborhood. Iran youth like the way Turkey has a government instead of church leaders from the dark ages. Likewise the Syrian and Saudi's and for that matter the whole neighborhood might just want to be like Turkey and join into stability and representation.

Changeyourlatitude

20. Tamee

Tamee naked

being an American only means that you're living in America, nothing more. Sure, if you don't like what's going on, you can move to another place, but it's always better for everyone and everything to try to fix problems from the inside, not run away from them.

Me, I am just a being on this earth. The place and the time don't really mean anything. I am not fixed to this country and can leave whenever I want. I am free to come and go as I please, but, really, I am always HERE. always living. always doing what feels right and opposing what feels wrong. That's really what being ALIVE is all about. so call me "un-American". What's it to me?