What are your religous beliefs?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by luckypunk, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am not Pagan, but that one really is Mostly Harmless. I spent 5 days once at a Pagan fest called FSG and not one person pushed their views on me.

"God Bless those Pagans" -Homer

2. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Religion is a conscious attempt to control the masses. God is a concept created to give meaning to our existence. We all want to believe in something to justify our existence and give our lives some kind of objective.

3. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

Christian

4. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

Pagan, primarily Earth Goddess worship. Goddess statues from circa 30,000 BCE have been recovered so I find it interesting that the broader Paganism wasn't a bubble option to choose.
    Peace and blessings and good vibes.

5. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Yes I agree, but unfortunately some people live in a world where Pagan belief is either pre-Christian nonsense or something featured in Harry Potter. It's not their fault but a broader reflection on education and society.
    Also in defence of the OP 'Pagan' is such a broad term and envelopes so many forms of faith and spiritual practice that the term 'Pagan' itself could be questioned.

Blessings
    Shayla x

6. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

yeey the atheists are finely winning.

7. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

Spiritual not religious.

8. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I definitely have the spiritual view of a disciple of Jesus, but I came to understand my place in the Biosphere as an "Earthkeeper" and student of natural systems on the macro scale and as a student of culinary and medicinal herbs on the micro scale.

Somewhere in my studies it dawned on me that what scientists call the Biosphere functions in many ways as a super-organism, of which we are only a part, although a very special part.

A lot of people pursue these goals in a more intuitive way and I am fine with that. Seeking harmony with Nature is a way of life that takes a lifetime to learn. If you are lucky, you are taught by wise elders. Some manage to learn a lot on their own.

I do not worship the Biosphere, I confine worship to the one I see as the Prime Mover, the Creator God, but as I see it, destruction of Creation is totally out of harmony with worship of the Creator. In church we were taught that this duty is "stewardship".
    This goes way beyond the idea of "doing no harm", but involves learning how to avoid doing harm, finding opportunities to heal, beautify and find my place as the gardener, the earthkeeper. And learning to appreciate the beauty and complexity of nature.

Our ancestors, whatever part of the globe they came from possessed a lot of this knowledge and were sadly forced to abandon a lot of this folk wisdom in the name of conversion. I reject that sad and destructive abandonment of this way of life and pledge to relearn what was lost, particularly in the land where I find myself living.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I sometimes think the same but frankly there would be nothing to question if the people who claim to be 'pagan' would elaborate which kind of paganism they follow. What is a bit of a shame is that it seems some claim to be pagan but really are not practicing any specific kind of paganism, they just seem to dig any pre-christian culture and their 'alternative' beliefs. Which is fine, so do I, but it doesn't makes one a pagan by definition.

10. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

In college, my mentor was a pantheist, believing that the biosphere (Gaia) if you prefer has a consciousness and inhabits every living creature that composes her being.

Some people think that we humans are the conscious mind of nature but it still exists as a mega-organism acting with collective subconscious mind.

I know other people who believe that there is a Creator Being or beings that pre-exist creation and exist within AND beyond creation. I am in that camp. But that does not rule out belief in nature having a collective conscious or subconscious mind.

Others propose distinct spiritual entities within some or all organisms, ie tree spirits, the life within an animal, etc.

Then comes the possibility of communicating with Gaia or individual spirits that inhabit living organisms or even sacred places. In the Bible, there is a passage that talks about an angel inhabiting a bush so that it seems to burn but is not consumed, much to Moses's amazement. Or the case of the angel visiting the Pool of Siloam from time to time and anyone going into the water (evidenced by some sort of motion in the water) at the time the water roiled was healed. I am fine with that. The pools at Bath England were seen as a sacred place, a place of healing long before the Romans built their temple to Minerva there. The ancients said that "Sulis" visited the waters. Somewhere along the line, the Romans decided to hedge their bet by dedicating it to "Sulis-Minerva". Everyone would be happy with that.

Some people feel the need to identify with specific traditions: Norse, Greek, Celtic.
    I prefer to focus on nature wisdom and each environment is unique, but the technique of respect and study is pretty much the same wherever I go.

11. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in gods, nor spirits... nothing. And if this god people are so passionate about existed, I wouldn't wanna be his friend. Too mean even for human standards.

12. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

Im a mystic....usually I do pagan earth goddess worship but its not uncommon for me to get inspiration from hinduism/buddhism/catholicism on occasions if I feel like things have gotten stale and I'm not growing spiritually.

13. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

I would have told you that there was no life in a drop of seawater
    Until I borrowed a microscope and saw thousands of little creatures swimming around down there.
    Whether there are spirits or whether there are none...
    We may be totally unable to see them our entire life.

If you run into an evil god, maybe you are wise not to befriend him.

But if your life is at cross purposes to a god, how would you know that this god was the one who was bad and not the other way around?

14. fishnetfreud

fishnetfreud Member

I am an atheist. But one of my biggest interests is religion (particularly islam).

15. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

16. slapper

slapper Member

i fill in biker on any form that asks religion

17. roamy

roamy Senior Member

:rofl::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

18. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Atheists in the lead puts a smile on my face.

I'm agnostic.

19. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I believe in eating your vegetables, and that onions and garlic avoid colds.

20. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Must be a commie.

I would probably describe myself as a humanist if I had to write something on a form, but it's not really a religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.