What are your religous beliefs?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by luckypunk, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

I'm stranger than most westerners can imagine. I'm a sort of tribal Taoist and believe we are spirits in the material world inhabiting a magical universe controlled by the collective unconscious, because I'm a modern shaman and it is a daily reality for me. However, I'm agnostic and don't know if God exists, and believe nobody can ever prove God exists, because they guy is obviously as humble as it gets assuming he does exist, and prefers to give anonymously. The greater truth is what lends anything meaning, and it does so unconditionally ensuring each much decide everything for themselves.

2. Nekkidbigguy

Nekkidbigguy Visitor

Christian.

3. angie1984

angie1984 Members

Catholic

4. BiArdorGuy

BiArdorGuy Members

I’m Agnostic, but think there’s something out there. I was raised in a psychologically damaging religious environment. I think most religious environments squelch free-thinking and don’t want to be around them. That said, being a Humanist I don’t want to judge those who find solace in their faith. Honestly, the closest I have felt to creation and the cosmos is sunning myself at a clothing-optional lake. Everyone is free there and I hope to go back.

5. Rick1313

Rick1313 Members

Christian , not church affiliated.

6. angie1984

angie1984 Members

Catholic

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

what isn't known isn't known.
    nothing has to be known in order to exist.
    whatever exists owes nothing to what people tell each other.
    goodness and the desire to be feared, are however, absolute binary opposites.

the four fold path of what i call the nalanuthu, which means way or path in the mountains,

is logic, consideration, honesty and imagination.

yes i believe there are big friendly invisible things too, just that i'm not sure they have anything to do with anything, nor do they have to have.

but without imagination there is no joy in life,
    without logic there is no way to avoid causing harm (and morality IS the avoidance of causing harm)
    without universal and mutual consideration there is only tyranny
    and without honesty there is only ignorance.

that is what i believe and believe in.

i'm not against other faiths, but few who call themselves their followers, really study or understand what they claim.
    nor the history of how or why they exist.

what matters is how people act though,
    because that is what creates what life is like to experience.

Driftrue likes this.
  8. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

Agnostic atheist.
    I think there's far, faaaarrrr more chance of aliens being our overseers (that spawned our religions) than there is an actual all-mighty being we recognise as a god.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Do you care to unpack your reasoning here?

10. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

That would be a very, very long post to type out.

But ultimately to basically summarise then, if such a god does exist then why would anyone want to follow a god who does none or next to nothing to help the vast, absolute utter sheer vast numbers of innocent young children who suffered and died from natural diseases, environmental disasters and man-made wars in the name of various gods/religions? Surely if someone loves a god its for a reason - to help them, to help keep them safe and such. As it is people are only believing in a god in hope that a heaven does exist after death.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  11. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ok, but why do aliens (that spawned our religions) seem more probable?

Is it easier to imagine imperfect beings that wanted to be worshipped, with limited resources, engineering our evolution and thus less culpable for the atrocities you mention? or do you think there is a chance that aliens visited prehistoric people and our ongoing meme from that interaction is religion?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  12. Kirstie

Kirstie Members

Aliens are documented among depictions all across the very start of human civilisation advancement.
    There is near zero chance that humans started building pyramids in both Africa and the Americas at around the same time of civilisation advancement. Its literally impossible, by a very far long shot possibility.

Things like Stonehenge in England. Impossible for the time. Has to have had something to do with aliens as humans had no chance of building something that complex - for the time.

And yet our religions are more open to the idea of a underage virgin girl being impregnated by some divine being, or even embracing that as if its okay.
    Really? I'm amazed anyone from a western nation still promotes any religion?

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

While impressed by some of these structures, I've yet to be persuaded that they were beyond human capabilities (Really the egyptian pyramids are the only structures I've watched documentaries about, so I am open to learning more about others) at least when considering the alternative of the improbability of interstellar travel of aliens. Keep in mind, these were structures built in civilizations where they weren't on their computers and phones all day, watching tv, they didn't have cars, work was probably structured significantly different than it is today and they probably didn't have "hobbies" in any modern sense.

There have been some other discoveries throughout history that have coincided with each other but I'm curious as to how close to each other in time these pyramids were actually being built on different continents.

Perhaps say they both estimate ~3000 BCE but there could be a half millenia difference between them. As numbers that is not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things but in terms of human lives and ingeniuty, if we apply that to the past 500 years, that's quite a discrepancy.

It is an odd perspective when you frame it like that.

14. Slunted

Slunted 'long time listener, first time caller'

Not a single one. Cant put any time into make believe. But respect people's right to believe in whatever they want to.

15. EroticaWriter

EroticaWriter Senior Member

I am blissfully happy for others to believe, peacefully and quietly, in whatever God they want to believe in.
    But I have a problem with society allowing organised religion - it has nothing to do with any God.

16. Devin the neo-hippie

Devin the neo-hippie Members

I practice the Kabbalah

17. flyinaround

flyinaround Guest

Nature is my religion. :sunglasses:

jimandjan likes this.
  18. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I like the nature. I was told Mother Nature would destroy mankind, before she lets man destroy earth. Scary thought!

barefootPatrick likes this.
  19. hikingchik

hikingchik Visitor

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

29atHeart likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.