What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I am like chapter 4 into my slaves of the gods or whatever i am reading and man, i feel so bad its taken me so long to read so little pages i keep having to re-read everything, genomes and heart and brain anatamy. that aint Irm's strong point. :p just hurry up and get to the aliens :p

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i just went all aussie with my team mate he got taken out in big wreck in first place, maybe the biggest wreck in our leagues history and he ask me if it was netcode (internet lag) or he got touched up, i said, oh you got hit 100% what a dog ****. he says lol did you just say a dog ****? yeah he's a dog ****. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

More Hemingway

c5032e7a437cd869e25f99d53619243a.jpg

4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm getting entrenched in Gendered Worlds. Its chapter on sexuality is good. I didn't like the one on Socialization and the Social Construction of Gender for some reason; though I am a firm believer in gender as a social construct. That chapter was confusing. Sexuality was more concrete in my opinion.

It's talking a little bit about how people aren't really either 'staright' or 'gay' so to speak. Similarly, it mentions that people shouldn't be boxed neatly into one gender or the other, but actually can identify with masculinity and femininity in different ways.

i don't know that we can be "less of a man" for experiencing something that is customarily attributed to femininity; particularly linguistically! I think that certain words connote the feminine given a certain context. Certain combinations may be interpreted as feminine or unusual for someone who otherwise would be id'd as male. Anyway...

Interesting stuff.

5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Giles Goat-boy by John Barth

I found it in a second hand shop on the road trip.. Anything with Pan or a faun or an antlered/horned human is going to get my attention. Then I read the back blurb, a random page, the opening lines.. Still wasn't sure what I was going to make of it but it turns out it was a good idea to buy it. It's weird as heck but I'm enjoying.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm guilty of the same :-D

Edit: except when its too out of context, like for example japanese fantasy in manga form

7. maxmayer

maxmayer Members

Arch of triumph. I advise it to everyone

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins made a big impression on me as a teenager : )

9. Asmodean

Raymond E. Feist - Fairie Tale. You might know it already? :) Or at least took notice of the author: he's particularly famous for a lengthy fantasy series starting with Magician. Fairie Tale stands on itself though and my fav of him. Heavily recommended!

10. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I've read that.. Was not impressed but I don't remember why! It was 2012.. Hm. I remember really WANTING to like it..
    I loved Magician
    And the following two books (a shop I used to own with an ex was named Silverthorn)
    But on the whole.. I find Feist overrated and his female characters aren't very well written.

11. Asmodean

I also really enjoyed Magician and stagnated a few books later. I don't get the praise either. A lot of lengthy fantasy series are better (Katherine Kerr's for example)
    But yeah, fairie tale was the shit. Excellent mix of folklore, myths and fantasy in a realistic setting. The right amount of suspension/scariness.

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I'm actually reading the Bible, without judgement. I'm reading a companion to it, and it's really helped me a lot.

Friar Turk likes this.
  13. Michael1985

Michael1985 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Irminsul likes this.
  14. Austerity
    The demolition of the welfare state and the rise of the zombie economy
    Kerry-Anne Mendoza

15. Meant to say yeah, I use bookmarks.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_